Royal Rumble 2019 discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Here it is - SCG Radio returns this week to discuss NXT Takeover, the 2019 Royal Rumble and discuss the immediate future of WWE on the road to WrestleMania 35! Breaking down the big stories of NXT, such as the dynamic hindering Tommaso Ciampa and Aleister Black, the greatness of Johnny Gargano and the immediate future of the top angle, before diving into the match-by-match of the Royal Rumble with some hideous booking, mind-boggling decisions, a Brock Lesnar tour de force, a tirade on the Women's Royal Rumble, issues with WWE trying to deal with the modern audience, and Seth Rollins' big victory, and finally giving a wide-angle lens look at what things look like for WrestleMania and the problems with the proposed addition of Charlotte to the headline Rousey Vs. Lynch match. A lot of fun discussion this week, check it out and let us know what you think!

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/download/5hwxde/SCG_Radio_146_-_NXT_Takeover_Pheonix_and_Royal_Rumble_2019.mp3

I'm struggling through it. It's soooo nit-picky. I get the problems with WWE and agree with the guys on a lot of them but when you're picking at the stuff they actually do well, it's just too dour.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
36 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I'm struggling through it. It's soooo nit-picky. I get the problems with WWE and agree with the guys on a lot of them but when you're picking at the stuff they actually do well, it's just too dour.

Agreed. I gave up after about 20-30 minutes. As much as I love SCG, and I think the guys are great, coming off what felt like a really positive show (from my perspective) it felt like a downer with all the nit-picking. Won't stop me from returning for future episodes, but this ep wasn't for me. 

No offense taken at all - Feels harder to comment on current WWE without looking through that lens (which is why we didn't do one for Survivor Series, which we usually do, because we just didn't think it would be enjoyable), so we're going to drift away from current WWE for a while, maybe review more New Japan and hit the old random topics harder.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

No offense taken at all - Feels harder to comment on current WWE without looking through that lens (which is why we didn't do one for Survivor Series, which we usually do, because we just didn't think it would be enjoyable), so we're going to drift away from current WWE for a while, maybe review more New Japan and hit the old random topics harder.

That sounds excellent. I love the NJPW coverage, the timelines and the more ad-hoc specials (the "on trial" episodes are always a favourite, so I'd like to see more of those), but if you're not enjoying covering WWE, and it's coming off a bit negative, a move away from it (with the exception of say Wrestlemania) for a bit sounds very sensible.

• Paid Members

I personally love the nitpicking and general cynicism, so keep it up lads! 

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with all the points being made, i'm more willing to listen to 'glass half empty' folk as it's a lot more entertaining. I find the opposite (people going out of their way to find any positives) to be rather dismissive and belittling.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with all the points being made, i'm more willing to listen to 'glass half empty' folk as it's a lot more entertaining. I find the opposite (people going out of their way to find any positives) to be rather dismissive and belittling.

You don't have to go out of your way to find the positives. They're blindingly obvious. I think you have to be particularly curmudgeon to pick fault with it when the desired result was acheived so spectacularly. Could it be better? Yeah, maybe. But point that out rather than ripping it to pieces and then grudgingly accept that people love it.

WWE have posted three really good videos showing the female NXT wrestlers being told that they are going to be in the Royal Rumble, and the male and female wrestlers talking before and after the Rumble.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

You don't have to go out of your way to find the positives. They're blindingly obvious. I think you have to be particularly curmudgeon to pick fault with it when the desired result was acheived so spectacularly. Could it be better? Yeah, maybe. But point that out rather than ripping it to pieces and then grudgingly accept that people love it.

Well I prefer a mix of both. The Women's rumble, for example, was an absolute slog with very few highlights and a great finish. But to just point out just how great the finish was whilst brushing everything else under the carpet would be so off-putting. 

Again, I don't agree with everything they thump on but it appears genuine and not just there for the sake of causing a stir.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Well I prefer a mix of both. The Women's rumble, for example, was an absolute slog with very few highlights and a great finish. But to just point out just how great the finish was whilst brushing everything else under the carpet would be so off-putting.

The women's Rumble discussion was OK because although Karl and Kieron were miserable as sin, Liam pointed out some of the better bits and it was a better discussion. The problem for me is that to that point, they'd given hardly any credit to anything despite there being loads of fun elements to Takeover, the great work of Rousey, the great finish to the Rumble, etc. Even when they praise Lesnar, there is more time spent moaning about the aftermath.

10 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Again, I don't agree with everything they thump on but it appears genuine and not just there for the sake of causing a stir.

I don't think that either. I think a show like this misses G a bit because he's quite enthusiastic about different things to Karl and Kieron. Liam used to be but WWE has ground him down. As a result, it's a bit of a pile-on. I'll always have a listen because I like the show and the guys but it's hard work.

I think i's clear from the feedback on here and elsewhere that the shows were a mixed bag. This wasn't reflective of that. Comes across like they've just say through NXT December to Dismember followed by WWE Uncensored :laugh:

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

That's fair enough, fella. I can totally understand that critique.

So when will Liam and the lads be reviewing December to Dismember and Uncensored, then? After the much anticipated TNA podcast?

There's a show in the archive for most useless PPVs where they give D2D a right shoeing. Worth checking out.

Archived