Royal Rumble 2019 discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Would you look at a competitive match between, for example, Pete Dunne and Shayna Baszler as resembling domestic violence, or as a contest between two fighters of similar skillsets, and closer in weight than many matches between male fighters that wouldn't raise any criticism? 

I didn't know how much I wanted to see this until now. It would be bloody vicious! 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

To start the Rumble with a comedy spot was mental. The PPV had to be a bout 12 hours in by that point. You could have had Elias be the last man in during the middle and then get his guitar out and then the next man is Jarrett. When I saw Elias in the ring with his guitar at the start of the Rumble, I was genuinely tempted to just go to bed.

I think it was Graves that came out with a great line alluding to how long the PPV was & it wasn't ending anytime soon with these two doing the comedy spot.

For the second year running I preferred the woman's rumble to the mens, I'm not sure what it is but even the NXT call ups with the women seemed fresh in that you could see a few of them going quite far. Exactly as it should be, whereas with the mens you fear that they are making the numbers and probably will get wasted/lost on the main card.

3 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Nia Jaxx getting booted in the face is probably Vince's old mentality of "she looks like a bloke, it wont matter." I think you're fucking mad if you think Alexa Bliss is getting a kick in the head any time soon.

This.

If I want to watch intergender wrestling, I'll just watch DDT or some other indie.

WWE would royaly fuck it up.

16 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

At least Tony St Claire is still alive. JBL was waffling on about Sonny & Cher at the start during Elias/Jarrett, Sonny Bono has been dead over 20 years

at least the american general public know about Sonny and Cher. I'm sure Cletus from Labertville in Michigan (first place i ever rang in the states) is interested in 80's UK wrestlers

I thought it was a great show, hurt only by how long it was and poor card placement - AJ/Bryan suffered greatly in the spot it was, the crowd were exhausted from the Becky Lynch finish, and before that 2 decent matches and Shane's insane shooting star press.

loved Graves line during the Elias opening to the mens Rumble - "I love the fact we've been here 4 and a half hours and he's still taking his time" laughed out loud at that.

• Paid Members

Natalya enters Rumble at number 2, therefore starting the match.

Natalya is eliminated a few seconds before the 10 second countdown to number 30 begins.

It's almost immediately announced that Natalya was in the match for 55 minutes 58 seconds.

Well, she nearly made it through 28 full entry intervals, and 28 x 2 minutes = 56 minutes.

Given she was eliminated just before the 10 second countdown to end the last 2 minute period began, maybe Phillips misspoke in the heat of the moment & it was actually 55 minutes 48 seconds. (And maybe Cole just repeated what he'd heard Phillips say when he said 55 minutes 58 seconds on Raw...)

Thing is, though... Weren't the intervals announced as being 90 seconds??

Beginning to think this wrestling thing isn't on the level.

• Paid Members

Even though they set the countdown off whenever it's most convenient, I think when they time out the show they do hope that the average entrant is around the announced time of 90 seconds. The clear problem with the Women's Rumble was that there were far too many inexperieced girls with no clue how to get their spots done on time, which is why some of those intervals and the match as a whole felt like it went on forever.

1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

I don't think the Women's match needs to have 30 people in it does it?

20 would be fine for them.

Does the mens even really need 30 either though? 

Only a maximum of say 6 people have a shot at realistically winning it given the prize on offer and even then by the time of the day it's usually down to 2-3 people max who anyone is picking.

Of course you can't have a Rumble with just the people who might win in it but every Rumble always seems to have a few who are totally pointless so 20 for the Men would make it a much stronger field and overall quality match on the whole.

We are just so used to it being 30 as it's what we've always known.

I can't see how you can turn back the clock now and change the Women's to 20 as it goes against everything they've built up as Womens wrestling being equal to the mens over the last few years.

• Paid Members

I thought the first Women's Rumble would only be 20 rather than 30, but I'm glad it wasn't, and it would be a mistake to go back now. Particularly if Becky and Ronda are headlining Wrestlemania, they shouldn't have them win a lesser match to get there.

I don't buy that many of the women were too inexperienced to time their spots properly - they're not working live TV without knowing how to work to time - but I do think that there was probably less effort put in to the agenting of the women's match compared to the men's. I think it was here that someone asked if Pat Patterson had an understudy when it comes to booking Rumbles - if he does, I wouldn't be surprised if they've been tasked with the women's match.

Archived