Royal Rumble 2019 discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

First, let's rejoice in Brock giving us the best GIF of 2019 thus far:

Fucking magic. Look at his, as @Frankie Crisp coined, Alan Brazil Brexit-face.

Right, onto the show...

• Really enjoyed the end sequences to the Asuka/Becky match. Agree with others that having Becky pass out would've been better than tapping out, but at the end of the day nobody gave or will give a shit because she's over and you know what that D O double G will say when it comes to wins and losses
  • Styles VS Bryan was dull. At first I liked the idea that they started out the match quite methodical, as the crowd definitely need a break after a Royal Rumble match, but I was expecting it to step up a notch at some point, but instead the crap one from the Wyatt Family turned up for some reason. Shit ending.
  • Brock VS Finn was MUCH better. Crowd was into it and Finn had a great outing. Loved the finish, worked very well I thought. Brock Lesnar is essentially a really hard video game boss that every fucker tries to beat but always comes up short. He's Seth from Street Fighter IV

• Women's Rumble match was pretty shit overall. That fucking awful Maria/Alicia Fox spot just reminds everyone how far women's wrestling has come in 10 years. That kind of shit was the norm back then, with those two involved too. Alicia Fox is rotten.
  • Rhea Ripley looked like a star. From the moment she stood at the entrance way to her dominating in the ring, she had a real aura about her. She's going to lead that women's division in a couple of years, maybe sooner.
  • Yesterday I was thinking about potential surprise entrants, and then thought 'Oh fuck I hope they don't wheel out Hornswoggle at the Rumble'. They did, and I genuinely laughed when he popped out next to Zelina.
  • Becky joining the Rumble was predictable as soon as Lana came limping out but it was still brilliant, and her subsequent face-off with the real queen of the women's division Nia Jax was a brilliant moment.

• Men's Rumble was ok at best. Double J was a brilliant surprise, shame they didn't start singing With My Baby Tonight before the guitar shot though. I think Jarrett appearing in a WWE match really is the nail in the coffin of the proper TNA. It's non-existent now.
  • Chuffed to bits to see Pete Dunne there and he was given a hell of a showcase. He really is Trips' boy isn't he.
  • The announcers shouting 'WE'RE DOWN TO ANDRADE AND ZIGGLER!' while Rollins was lying on the floor RIGHT NEXT TO THEM was fucking stupid
  • Told you Truth wouldn't make the Rumble. Love the fact that people wanted The Man to take his spot and it was Nia Jax! Not sure about the guys ganging together and beating her up as the crowd went wild, didn't feel right. Reminded me of the time that the entire Rumble stopped what they were doing to get Mohammed Hassan out that time.

16 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

...and Nakamura dresses like a cosplay Kane.

Ha, yes! I kept thinking that throughout the match, thinking he was one of the shitty late 90s UK tribute show versions.

10 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

What was this big surprise that was supposed to happen then? I avoided the internet in the hope I’d get a shock at some point but nothing happened.

I don't think there was one, there was nothing on Twitter etc other than that post quoted on here stating that somebody knew of a big surprise but didn't want to give it away- i.e. clickbait. The only other nonsense rumour was CM Punk.

Well, that's the Rumble out of the way. Wasn't thrilled and it hasn't made me look forward to Mania much. Looking forward to whatever women's matches they have because they should be ace given the women they have at the top. Couldn't really care for Brock/Rollins much, although I'm sure it will be a decent bout. God knows who Bryan goes up against, the Styles feud could carry over until then. Maybe stick Joe in with them and have them tear the house down? ChristopherDanielsCrying.gif

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved the set up by the way. The dug out and the curved entrance are different enough and worked for me. Have they used holograms for entrances in the past? Asuka and Becky's graphics looked wicked, the rest not so much. One thing I loved about Wrestle Kingdom was the amount of effort they put into the entrances, some of the video trons were almost psychedelic looking. I wish WWE did more than just the static screen.

Have to say Pete Dunne looked at home with the big boys out there. 

• Paid Members

Always fascinating coming into a thread for one of the four wrestling shows I watch a year to see all my opinions are wrong. Never mind, eh.

Becky vs Asuka - This was a great match. Becky's offence looked better than usual and the finish was really good. Good crowd as well, I'm glad they put this on early before they got knackered.

Miz-Mac vs The Bar - I suppose it was alright but I don't know why The Miz is arseing around in a bloody tag team match when he should be doing the main event of Wrestlemania with Daniel Bryan, with their roles finally reversed as they should always have been. What a balls up they made up of the hottest feud they'd had for years. Shane's shooting star press was unbelievably great though, the nutter.

Rousey vs Banks - Liked Rousey's entrance outfit very much. Thought this was a cracking match. Apparently nobody likes Banks now but I still do, she was superb here. Might have been my favourite match of the night. Still ridiculous how much of a natural Rousey is, and she sold beautifully as well.

Women's Rumble - Usual shit, obvious winner. I don't know who Kacy Catanzaro is but I want one.

D. Bryan vs (MAG)AJ Styles - Holy crap was this boring. Did these two just suddenly become shite or is it one of those cases where two greats can't hit it off together? Crap finish as well.

Lesnar vs Balor - Superb match but I audibly groaned at the ending. They've done too much of this 'make them look good in defeat against Lesnar' thing now. Might have worked even better if Balor had come out as the lunatic he used to be in NXT.

Men's Rumble - Usual shit, obvious winner. Brilliant trolling by WWE having Nia Jax do what everyone reckoned Becky was going to do but her eliminating Ali was really fucking stupid. Also, isn't Elias a babyface? So why hit Jarrett with his guitar? JJ looked really fat. No idea what they're doing with Strowman. All very confusing. And Dolph Ziggler in the final three! Why was Pete Dunne yellow?

See you for Wrestlemania!

EDIT - Oh and Dean Ambrose. He looked AWFUL. Does anybody like him? And if so why? He's been absolutely dreadful ever since he hasn't had Reigns and Rollins to cover for his weak-as-piss offence and stupid expressions. 

Thing is Drew murdered him in the cage a few weeks back. That was a perfect send off FFS.

I'm with Devon on Sasha Banks. As a face hot tag wrestler she's ok but this was the bloodthirsty Banks that I loved from NXT. Hope she can get more prominent spots like this down the line.

Love that Bryan has come out addressing the crowd response to the title match. He's been on a tear lately. Awesome character.

Far too many over the top, but hang onto the rope spots

Problem that the men's rumble really highlighted to me, isn't so much they don't have any superstars these days - more that they don't have enough lower mid carders (they type who could main event Heat before being killed on Raw/SD)

Yay Eric Rowan.... said nobody ever

Lesnar/Balor match did everything perfect, but the post match kind of ruined it for me - the old wry smile & "this close" hand gesture from Fin would have worked much better (leading to the Beast/Demon match which I would still have Brock win)

Have a women wrestler who calls herself "the man"

Have her interject herself into a rumble match to win

Have a different women interject herself into the men's rumble match

I mean, there were plenty of sacrificial lambs in the final say 10 that you could have worked around Becky

Alaistair Black looked good, he'll definitely be fine on the main roster

Garganno - what would you pick if you were him... NXT, 205 or main roster wasted jobber?

• Paid Members

The company has more raw talent than perhaps any time in its history but the men's rumble had zero stars. They need to do a big clear out of the dead weight, bring in the best of NXT and really shake things up. Fucking Dolphin Ziggler and Baron Corbin. When that shit arse Rollins is the best option it says everything.

I enjoyed both rumbles for the most part though. Neither were classics but had enough fun. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, courageous said:

Yay Eric Rowan.... said nobody ever

Am I the only one who's quite excited about them pairing up Bryan and Rowan then? I think its a great role for Rowan, and Bryan feels like he's verging on a cult leader with the way his character is evolving, so why not add Rowan in there. The Vegan and The Vintner. Far better than having another pointless Wyatt Family reunion.

Speaking of which, I'm stunned that Bray didn't re-emerge during the rumble. I was sure that was happening. Very curious to see where they go with him next.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

No way does the company have more raw talent at any time! Who is this talent? There a handful of men and 3 or 4 women. Thats it.

There's far more than a, "handful," of raw talent. Whether they're used to their full potential or not is another thing, but in terms of having guys that can go in the ring and could be stars? There's a shit load of diamonds on that roster. Look at this list. Anyone would kill for this amount of talent.

Monday Night RAW Roster

Akam

Apollo Crews

Baron Corbin

Bobby Lashley

Bobby Roode

Bo Dallas

Bray Wyatt

Braun Strowman

Brock Lesnar

Chad Gable

Curtis Axel

Curt Hawkins

Dash Wilder

Dean Ambrose

Dolph Ziggler

Drew McIntyre

Elias

Fandango

Finn Balor

Goldust

Gran Metalik

Heath Slater

Jason Jordan

Jinder Mahal

Kane

Kevin Owens

Konnor

Mojo Rawley

No Way Jose

Rezar

Roman Reigns

Rhyno

Sami Zayn

Samir Singh

Scott Dawson

Seth Rollins

Sunil Singh

The Big Show

Titus O’Neil

Tyler Breeze

Viktor

Zack Ryder

SmackDown Live Roster

Aiden English

Andrade Almas

AJ Styles

Alexander Wolfe

Big E

Cesaro

Daniel Bryan

Epico Colon

Eric Young

Erick Rowan

Jeff Hardy

Jey Uso

Jimmy Uso

Karl Anderson

Killian Dain

Kofi Kingston

Luke Gallows

Luke Harper
Mustafa Ali

Randy Orton

Primo Colon

R-Truth

Rey Mysterio Jr.

Rusev

Samoa Joe

Sin Cara

Sheamus

Shelton Benjamin

Shinsuke Nakmura

The Miz

Tye Dillinger

Xavier Woods

205 Live Roster

Akira Tozawa

Ariya Daivari

Buddy Murphy

Cedric Alexander

Drake Maverick (GM)

Drew Gulak

Gran Metalik

Gentleman Jack Gallagher

Hideo Itami

Humberto Carrillo

Lince Dorado

Lio Rush

Kalisto

Mark Andrews

Mike Kanellis

Noam Dar

The Brian Kendrick

TJP

Tony Nese

Monday Night RAW Women’s Wrestlers

Alexa Bliss

Alicia Fox

Bayley

Dana Brooke

Ember Moon

Liv Morgan

Natalya

Nia Jax

Mandy Rose

Mickie James

Ronda Rousey

Ruby Riott

Sarah Logan

Sasha Banks

Sonya Deville

Tamina

SmackDown Live Women’s Wrestlers

Asuka

Becky Lynch

Billie Kay

Carmella

Charlotte

Lana

Naomi

Paige

Peyton Royce

Zelina Vega

INJURED OR INACTIVE

Akam

Bray Wyatt

Fandango

Goldust

Jason Jordan

Maryse

Roman Reigns

Sami Zayn

Shelton Benjamin

Tye Dillinger

Tyson Kidd

TAG TEAM ROSTER

Bobby Roode & Chad Gable

Breezango (Fandango and Tyler Breeze)

Sheamus & Cesaro

The B-Team (Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel)

The Bludgeon Brothers (Harper & Rowan)

The Club (Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson)

The New Day (Kofi Kingston, Big E and Xavier Woods)

The Ascension (Konnor and Viktor)

The Revival (Dash Wilder & Scott Dawson)

The Uso Brothers (Jey and Jimmy Uso)

NXT:

Adam Cole

Adrian Jaoude

Aleister Black

Aliyah

Angelo Dawkins

Babatunde Aiyegbusi

Blake

Bianca Belair

Boa

Bobby Fish

Brennan Williams

Bronson Matthews

Candice LeRae

Cezar Bononi

Chelsea Green

Dakota Kai

Dan Matha

Danny Burch

Deonna Purrazzo

Dominik Dijakovic

Ec3

Fabian Aichner

Hanson

Humberto Carrillo

Io Shirai

Jaxson Ryker

Jeet Rama

Jessie Elaban

Jessamyn Duke

Johnny Gargano

Kacy Catanzaro

Kassius Ohno

Kairi Sane

Keith Lee

Kona Reeves

Kyle O’Reilly

Lacey Evans

Lacey Lane

Lars Sullivan

Luke Menzies

Mansoor Al-Shehail

Marcel Barthel

Marina Shafir

Matt Riddle

Mars Wang

MJ Jenkins

Mia Yim

Mohamed Fahim

Montez Ford

Nasser Alruwayeh

Oney Lorcan

Pete Dunne

Raul Mendoza

Rocky

Rowe

Ricochet

Riddick Moss

Reina Gonzalez

Roderick Strong

Rinku Singh

Sarah Schreiber

Saurav Gurjar

Shane Thorne

Shayna Baszler

Stacey Ervin Jr.

Steve Cutler

Taynara Conti

Tegan Nox

Tino Sabbatelli

Tyler Bate

Vanessa Borne

Velveteen Dream

Xia Li

William Regal (GM)

INJURED OR INACTIVE

Tegan Nox

Tino Sabbatelli

Tag Teams:

Adrian Jaoude & Cezar Bononi

Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan

Humberto Carrillo & Raul Mendoza

The Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford)

The Forgotten Sons (Steve Cutler & Wesley Blake & Jaxson Ryker)

War Raiders (Hanson & Rowe)

The Undisputed ERA (Adam Cole, Kyle O’Reilly, Bobby Fish & Roderick Strong)

WWE NXT UK:

Amir Jordan

Ashton Smith

Dakota Kai

Dave Mastiff

Eddie Dennis

Flash Morgan Webster

Isla Dawn

James Drake

Jinny

Joe Coffey

Jordan Devlin

Kenny Williams

Killer Kelly

Ligero

Mark Andrews

Mark Coffey

Mike Hitchman

Nina Samuels

Noam Dar

Pete Dunne

Rhea Ripley

Sam Gradwell

Saxon Huxley

Toni Storm

Travis Banks

Trent Seven

Tyler Bate

Tyson T-Bone

Wolfgang

Xia Brookside

Zack Gibson

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Rousey vs Banks - Liked Rousey's entrance outfit very much. Thought this was a cracking match. Apparently nobody likes Banks now but I still do, she was superb here. Might have been my favourite match of the night. Still ridiculous how much of a natural Rousey is, and she sold beautifully as well.

I don't talk much about how much I love Sasha because the truth is they fucked up her face run so much it would be a misnomer to say I love her now, rather I love what her character became in NXT and still could be. In flashes she's been an awesome bitch when the match dynamic allows such as last year's Rumble and in the Chamber which was the greatest heel turn there never was because they were, for some reason, against following that up with Sasha v Bayley at Mania in favour of continuing the slow burn to nothing. Everyone's decided she's the worst wrestler in the world because she's occasionally loose or a dive nearly kills her but I loved the Ronda match, some of the wrestling transitions were really good after a dicey first couple of minutes. There was a moment near the end where even though I "knew" Ronda was winning, they convinced me Sasha was about to beat her, which is always the sign of a great match when they tell a story that makes the smark inside shut up. Oddly reminiscent of Angle/Benoit 16 years ago, even down to the nature of it (submission spot for the challenger). My only slight criticisms are that "Pipers Pit" is a naff name for a big impact, potentially (in this case actually) match-ending move, and I'm still not sure if the afters were a missed opportunity that left with blue balls, or just enough to want more and see how it plays out. Namely I expected Becky to attack Ronda from behind as she stared confused at Sasha's four fingers and kick that off with a bang. But overall it was a slice of wrestling TV I enjoyed from start to finish - shockingly probably even more than Asuka vs Becky which was also a very good wrestling match.

Archived