Royal Rumble 2019 discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asuka/Becky and Brock/Balor were the best matches on the night for me although I liked all the singles matches.

Women’s rumble was baaaad. The ending just about saved it. Lacey Evans Raw promo actually gave me hope but she died a death out there last night. She was out there way too long and the stand off with Charlotte didn’t come across well at all. Flair towers over her. It was a well put together rumble but there’s only so much you can do with what you have. Ripley, Kacey and Nikki Cross (went way too early) shined in their parts. It was all about the ending though which was perfectly pitched. I can see why this match didn’t close the show, it would have been rough going on a tired crowd.

Also, fuck y’all. Nia Jaxx was great  last night.

The men’s rumble was it’s own kind of mess. All those cute elimination save spots peaked with Kacey catanzaro’s ninja warrior shit, yet they kept on going back to that well all night and along with the hiding hornswoggle stuff it was just way too much goofy shit by the end. Why the fuck are Elias and Strowman doing the heel spots? Braun should have been pushed like a new Undertaker good god. Sad to see such a huge talented guy amount to fuck all. Why is Dolph Ziggler eliminating Drew McIntyre and WHY IS DOLPH ZIGGLER IN THE FINAL THREE? Samoa Joe was the matches clear stand out, Ali dumping him worked a treat. The Nia thing was weird.

Rollins is meh anyway but I came out of this PPV wanting too see Balor fight Brock again.  Actually go through with the David vs Goliath story and bring the Demon to slay the beast. 

• Paid Members

I hope for it too, Rollins could do with a reset on opponents and that is heading to SmackDown to face Bryan, Andrade, Mysterio and the likes, its the work rate show.

@Grecian nice to see you back on TV, though you could have turned up in a little more than your lounging around the house clothes.

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Becky tapping out certainly wouldn't have been how I'd have scripted it, but I take solace in the idea that they wanted to give Asuka a big win in order to get her ready for a Wrestlemania rematch with Charlotte, leaving Ronda and Becky to have the one-on-one match it deserves to be. I like Charlotte but she needs to jog on here. Becky vs. Ronda is the match.

Let's hope Becky has a better match with Ronda than Sasha though because I thought their match was mostly terrible. Easily Ronda's worst PPV match so far. I don't know what the problem was but it felt sloppy and disjointed throughout. I remember loving Charlotte vs. Ronda at Survivor Series because it felt like a proper fight between girls who hated each other. I've no idea if there's anything to it, but here it felt like girls who legitmately didn't like each other struggling to get on the same page in order to have a good match. They didn't click at all and if both Sasha and Ronda hadn't build up so much goodwill in their careers then I think more people would be calling out how amateurish a lot of this looked. Sasha always has that weird ability to sometimes have great matches and other times look like a sloppy backyarder. Unfortunately, it was the latter here.

Finn and Brock was fun but Finn looked a right dickhead not bringing out The Demon.

Agreed with this. Ronda vs. Becky is the match to go for - I feel like a third person will dilute it and it's about Becky having a load of fire, determination and being hard against Ronda who's clearly legitimately tough.

I was watching the Rumble with someone who is a casual UFC fan/non-wrestling fan who likes Ronda Rousey. He asked how she was getting on and, the last time I'd seen her, she was a pretty naff promo and had taken to wrestling well. She was in my favourite Mania match too. This match seemed sloppy and didn't click - can't really understand it being seen as great.

Finn vs. Brock was a good match - it did everything it needed to. I don't think Finn should have won - if you're gonna have it on him this long at least wait two months to get it off him and give it to the right person. Balor's not the right person for it, especially when you have Bryan in the other world title match. But yeah, if you're gonna do the Demon stuff then why wouldn't you do it in a title match against someone who is much larger than you?

• Paid Members
Just now, Sphinx said:

Finn vs. Brock was a good match - it did everything it needed to. But yeah, if you're gonna do the Demon stuff then why wouldn't you do it in a title match against someone who is much larger than you?

Storytelling surely? I expect Brock to wrestle once more before Mania, and bringing the Demon out could be the perfect opportunity. Balor as himself took Lesnar to the limit to a point Lesnar had to jump him after the match in frustration. He beat him by tapping out a regular person. You could easily lead whoever is facing Lesnar (if for example Rollins does take on Bryan) in the Elimination Chamber match and have Lesnar/Heyman call out Balor because Brock wants to prove he's the beast and that it wasn't lucky him getting a tap out win. From there have Balor say that he couldn't beat Lesnar on the night, because he was only human and Lesnar is a beast, but he has something that can conquer the Beast.

I mean it wouldn't be the first time Lesnar dropped a title right before Mania to a wrestler with talent but people thought wasn't main event ready to go focus on another sport for a few months right? Could easily lead to Rollins vs Balor at Mania and have Rollins look to right the wrong of losing to Finn 2 years ago.

30 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I hope for it too, Rollins could do with a reset on opponents and that is heading to SmackDown to face Bryan, Andrade, Mysterio and the likes, its the work rate show.

@Grecian nice to see you back on TV, though you could have turned up in a little more than your lounging around the house clothes.

My boiler suit was in the wash. 

I actually enjoyed everything apart from the men's Rumble. Far too much 'comedy' in that for me, especially the first half.

I'm a bit of a casual fan these days, so the opening few matches surprised me by being very good. Ronda's selling in particular was exceptional.

I'll probably think of more to post later, but I'm mentally drained just now. Overall, thumps up for it all apart for the men's Rumble, which I thought was shit.

37 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Storytelling surely? I expect Brock to wrestle once more before Mania, and bringing the Demon out could be the perfect opportunity. Balor as himself took Lesnar to the limit to a point Lesnar had to jump him after the match in frustration. He beat him by tapping out a regular person. You could easily lead whoever is facing Lesnar (if for example Rollins does take on Bryan) in the Elimination Chamber match and have Lesnar/Heyman call out Balor because Brock wants to prove he's the beast and that it wasn't lucky him getting a tap out win. From there have Balor say that he couldn't beat Lesnar on the night, because he was only human and Lesnar is a beast, but he has something that can conquer the Beast.

I mean it wouldn't be the first time Lesnar dropped a title right before Mania to a wrestler with talent but people thought wasn't main event ready to go focus on another sport for a few months right? Could easily lead to Rollins vs Balor at Mania and have Rollins look to right the wrong of losing to Finn 2 years ago.

I do wonder if we'll get a possible Balor rematch at Fastlane or whatever before WM. But then again, I'm not really expecting Lesnar to wrestle again until WM if I'm honest.

Enjoyed it on the whole but there are much better ways to book Rumble matches overall. I prefer the ones where they play into storylines and rivalries a lot more. Sure it happened a bit but it felt like people were just coming in and hitting some moves most of the time. Maybe I'm just fussy. I love the Rumble and there's so much that can be done with it.

1 hour ago, Shy Dad said:

Edit: I'd forgotten about Fastlane.

45 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

The Rumbles felt very early-mid 90's to me at times, mssing star power in parts but still watchable.

I'll probably remember them more than most post 2003 rumbles at least.

Exactly what I was thinking. There was nothing bad in either of the Rumbles but the lack of star power in both was so obvious. It's their own fault with the way they book now. I didn't think anyone except the winners came our of either Rumble looking stronger. Maybe Ali but then he was dumped by Nia Jax. 

Archived