Types of angle you love

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I still reckon there's huge potential in Braun Strowman and Alexa Bliss doing a romance angle. They had great chemistry when they teased it last year.

When they inevitably abandon the idea of Strowman being a top guy I hope they transition him into something like that. Do a couple of awkward dates where Strowman plays the lovable oaf. Give him a daft bowtie or something. Maybe he keeps accidentally breaking chairs as he sits in them. Or when Alexa complains about having not wanted ice in her drink, he completely overreacts and throws the waiter through a window. Over time Alexa manages to, "tame the monster," and they do a wedding angle. Have Alexa turn heel and cheat on him later, then you've got a ready made fued between Braun and whoever she's been shagging.

Or have them live happilly ever after in Surrey, of course.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
9 hours ago, Supremo said:

I still reckon there's huge potential in Braun Strowman and Alexa Bliss doing a romance angle. They had great chemistry when they teased it last year.

Striking while the iron was hot would have had Braun carry her out to be his tag partner and stand on the apron while he won the belts at Mania last year. Sadly they would never have done this as it would have babyfaced Alexa and they needed her to stay a heel en route to making Ronda, while persisting with babyface Nia, the "bullied" monster.

Remember the summer, autumn and winter before when it was being mooted that Braun was on his way to the belt, even into Elimination Chamber, to end up doing what he did with Nicholas at Mania?? Biggest fall from grace since Scott Steiner.

I love "where are they" angles. Works best over a full episode or a couple of episodes. Think Triple H trying to track down Shawn Michaels to reform DX or Daniels and Kas trying to track down Joseph Parks and discovering he and Abyss are one and the same. Loads of small segments and locations away from the arena.

Add me to the list of underdog valet/ bodyguard/ protégée/ wheelchair-bound billionaire's wife standing up for themselves or stepping in to the limelight.

I love a good backstage attack too, especially when they throw in a twist like when Lesnar attacked Ambrose as he was arriving at the arena and they spliced in camera phone footage from fans waiting outside along with CCTV footage. It looked great and takes away that ridiculous notion of their being full teams of camera men with boom mics roaming arenas waiting for fights to break out. It's always cool when they end up somewhere unusual, like Undertaker and Maven at Royal Rumble scrapping in the lobby and Maven going through the popcorn machine.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I love "where are they" angles. Works best over a full episode or a couple of episodes. Think Triple H trying to track down Shawn Michaels to reform DX or Daniels and Kas trying to track down Joseph Parks and discovering he and Abyss are one and the same. Loads of small segments and locations away from the arena.

This conversation starts and ends with Lost In Cleveland.

• Awards Moderator
8 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Add me to the list of underdog valet/ bodyguard/ protégée/ wheelchair-bound billionaire's wife standing up for themselves or stepping in to the limelight.

On the other side of that, the mini-trope of 'heels on wheels' is always good fun while it lasts. The only worthwhile thing to come out of Ric Flair's TNA run.

• Paid Members

Love a big star giving a bit of rub to someone much further down the totem pole. Reminded by mention of Taker/Maven but HHH/Taka and The Rock/Hurricane mini-feud are great examples. Steve Austin and Spike Dudley too. Bryan and Ali is a good recent example. It's not used enough.

• Paid Members

It's been done to death, and ruined by inconsistent logic and poor writing, but done well, I still love a "babyface against the odds" corporate champion angle.

The full Steve Austin vs. Dude Love job - guest referee, guest ring announcer, guest timekeeper, ringside enforcer, rules stacked against the babyface, and a heel authority arbitrarily changing rules as the match goes on. It's beautiful.

The best recent variation of it was an episode of NXT where Eva Marie was facing Bayley for the Women's Title. Bayley was the darling of NXT's women's division, and that division was the most hyped part of the show. Eva Marie was hated by the NXT audience, and seen - even if not explicitly stated as such - as being a corporate WWE "Diva", at odds with the "real wrestlers" of NXT's women's division. The match happened to take place on a week that William Regal was absent as NXT GM, and the show opened with Michael Cole in the ring, explaining that "WWE Corporate" had placed him in charge - and does anyone fit the "WWE Corporate" description more believably than Michael Cole? IIRC, a ban on Nia Jax being at ringside as Eva's bodyguard was overturned. Before the match started, Charles Robinson comes out, and the announcers point out that he's a WWE official, not an NXT referee. Everything gave the suggestion of a corporate screwjob, without ever making it explicit, playing off the prejudices of the NXT fanbase. I loved it.

We've ripped off this gimmick a bunch of times in CIWW - we had a heel referee for a while, who was always good for a stupid excuse to overturn a title win, had a heel authority as special referee doing the full "by my hand only" Vince McMahon schtick from the Austin/Dude match, and completely ripped off the "Canadian Rules" match from New Blood Rising, for one of the most fun matches I've ever worked.

It probably doesn't hold up at all in hindsight, but on the night it was so much fun;

• Paid Members

I'm a sucker for a good reluctant odd couple tag team. Team Hell No was the last time they did this correctly, but it should be no surprise because Kane is great playing the role of twister nutter who slowly softens towards his partner, his team with X-Pac was a highlight of a packed Raw, at the time.

"I'm the tag team champions" never fails to put a smile on my face. It's so silly.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

On the other side of that, the mini-trope of 'heels on wheels' is always good fun while it lasts. The only worthwhile thing to come out of Ric Flair's TNA run.

False.

• Paid Members

I thought of another one. I like it when they break the ring for some mad spot. Bam Bam and Taz smashing through the ring, Big Show getting Superplexed and the ring exploding, Undertaker getting chokeslammed through the mat, even Mick Foley doing that relatively safe bump through the Cell at No Way Out 2000. It's always cool when they gimmick the ring to give way and I've aways felt that Braun Strowman should be doing it more often. He should be throwing guys through the mat regularly!

• Paid Members

Orton teaming with Cena could be the new Luger/Sting and build to an inevitable Orton/Cena match when he figures him out. They could wrestle The Bar as everybody loves seeing Orton and Sheamus wrestling each other. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Orton teaming with Cena could be the new Luger/Sting and build to an inevitable Orton/Cena match when he figures him out.

As Graves constantly implores Orton on commentary to see Cena for the bastard he really is.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, air_raid said:

As Graves constantly implores Orton on commentary to see Cena for the bastard he really is.

Yes. Then Luger turns on him. 

Archived