Worst PPV post 1990

Sheffbag

Worst PPV since 1990  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TBH there's been a lot of PPVs in the last decade that are just completely forgettable. Of the ones in the list, the one I would vote for would be KOTR 95. Just because it seemed like the WWF didn't know what they were doing, there were great matches happening in other promotions and great workers on that card, it was in Philadelphia in front of many of the ECW faithful and they eliminated Shawn in the first round, had Savio Vega wrestle 4 times, put Mabel over in the tournament (with a pinfall victory over Undertaker in the semi-final!) and had that awful main event. The previous two KOTRs had put the new generation of smaller, better workers over and suddenly everything was going wrong. I remember being as depressed at the end of it as I was after seeing WM9 with Hogan somehow managing to walk out of the event with the world strap.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/21/2019 at 12:06 PM, BomberPat said:

At least Smackdown tended to have a decent undercard, and Brock Lesnar, Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle floating around the main event to keep the JBLs and Big Shows at bay, but they still gave you shit like Vince vs Stephanie, Vince vs. Zack Gowen, and Stephanie vs. Sable.

I’d only just started watching wrestling when these matches happened (I was 15 at the time) and I remember really enjoying these two matches, particularly Vince vs Zach Gowen. 

As for the worst PPV, it’s Crown Jewel for me. It takes a special kind of awful for an event to cause some wrestling fans to question whether or not they should be supporting your damn company.

Granted, this was because of a real life murder, but still...

On 1/21/2019 at 11:42 AM, Accident Prone said:

Going to chuck in an oddball here; Armageddon 2003.

A total shit storm of  PPV that was spearheaded by an extremely weak RAW brand. Evolution was the main heel stable but people were sick of them by the Summer, so their continued reign of chaos during the winter months wasn't welcome, especially here with Trips ending Goldberg's lackluster title reign. 

By the time this PPV ended, all the members of Evolution were champions and they did it in the most boring, sub-par of matches; Orton defeated RVD for the IC strap, Batista & Flair won a thoroughly dull tag turmoil for the tag championships and then HHH beat Goldberg and fucking Kane (late 2003 Kane, lads) in a hugely unsatisfying main event and finish. Best match of the night was HBK dragging Batista to something watchable as this was before Big Dave got well good. Also, yes Batista pulled double duty AND interfered in the main event to give Trips the big win.

If this were EWR, you'd get an email from Sophie after this PPV to let you know that Evolution were overused and the fans are getting very fucking tired of seeing them.

evolution-armageddon-2003.jpg

I always remember this one because of Saddam Hussein being captured earlier that day and the PPV opening turned into a massive celebration of that complete with Lillian singing the national anthem, the crowd chanting USA and JR screaming out "Yeah! We got him!".

• Paid Members

Road Wild 1998 is particularly awful. 

Meng vs Barbarian, Public Enemy vs Alex Wright & Disco Inferno and Stevie Ray vs Chavo are all particularly bad, but none of these comes close to the mess that was Brian Adams vs Steve McMichael.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

I remember being as depressed at the end of it as I was after seeing WM9 with Hogan somehow managing to walk out of the event with the world strap.

I'd always thought the outcry over Bret losing the title was the result of revisionist thinking tbh. The pop Hogan got was as big as anything that night and I thought it was cool as hell, but was only 9 years old at the time in fairness.

8 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I'd always thought the outcry over Bret losing the title was the result of revisionist thinking tbh. The pop Hogan got was as big as anything that night and I thought it was cool as hell, but was only 9 years old at the time in fairness.

Oh he got a pop on the night but that was a super casual crowd. I certainly wasn't the only person pissed off at the time, especially after Hogan was basically AWOL from that night until losing the belt back to Yoko at KOTR.

Archived