Worst PPV post 1990

Sheffbag

Worst PPV since 1990  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has to be HOW just by virtue of it was a ppv and was an abhorrent mess throughout. 

When a live ppv features a cracked out Jake the Snake, off his tits masturbating with a live snake then shoving it down his tights as the way the show goes off air I don't think u can sink lower. 

I'm leaving out HOW due to the level they were at, so expectations were never high to begin with. 

From that list I really really didn't like GAB 2004, embarrassing main event, and an undercard full of jobbers. 

Also I don't actually think it's the worst, but Rumble 2014 with Orton/Cenas terrible match and a Rumble that was completely shat all over sticks in my mind as a bad PPV

• Paid Members

Has to be December to Dismember for me. Even the worst of WCW usually had something going for it, even if it's just a chance to laugh/stare in disbelief at how mental it gets - I know a few wrestlers who regularly watch New Blood Rising for sheer "so bad it's good" entertainment value, and I worked a show shamelessly ripping off the "Canadian Rules" match because we'd all watched the show a couple of nights before. Similar to some early '90s WCW, at its worst it tends to be at least endearingly naff.

December to Dismember was a show that had, what, one match announced? Daivari vs. Tommy Dreamer and Balls Mahoney vs. Matt Striker on PPV? Even before you get into it being a complete fuck-over of whatever credibility ECW had left, and whatever goodwill there was for the relaunch, it's just a dreadful show by any measure, and fails to deliver on anything.

• Paid Members

Going to chuck in an oddball here; Armageddon 2003.

A total shit storm of  PPV that was spearheaded by an extremely weak RAW brand. Evolution was the main heel stable but people were sick of them by the Summer, so their continued reign of chaos during the winter months wasn't welcome, especially here with Trips ending Goldberg's lackluster title reign. 

By the time this PPV ended, all the members of Evolution were champions and they did it in the most boring, sub-par of matches; Orton defeated RVD for the IC strap, Batista & Flair won a thoroughly dull tag turmoil for the tag championships and then HHH beat Goldberg and fucking Kane (late 2003 Kane, lads) in a hugely unsatisfying main event and finish. Best match of the night was HBK dragging Batista to something watchable as this was before Big Dave got well good. Also, yes Batista pulled double duty AND interfered in the main event to give Trips the big win.

If this were EWR, you'd get an email from Sophie after this PPV to let you know that Evolution were overused and the fans are getting very fucking tired of seeing them.

evolution-armageddon-2003.jpg

• Paid Members

You could probably make a valid case for almost every single brand PPV during that period, to be honest. Absolutely dire stuff. 

At least Smackdown tended to have a decent undercard, and Brock Lesnar, Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle floating around the main event to keep the JBLs and Big Shows at bay, but they still gave you shit like Vince vs Stephanie, Vince vs. Zack Gowen, and Stephanie vs. Sable.

Speaking of 2003 Kane - a couple of months before, Unforgiven 2003 gave us Kane vs. Shane McMahon and Al Snow & Coachman vs. Jerry Lawler & Jim Ross and, if I remember correctly, the match didn't even have commentary, because all the commentators were in the fucking match. 

• Paid Members

Nothing on this list for "general badness" as my mate likes to put it, left me feeling as empty as Mania XII. Strip away the depression of my hero losing the belt to his homosexual nemesis (as I thought at 13) and the main event dragged awfully considering it was between the guy I thought was the best in the world vs the best guy to supplant him if he has to lose, for an hour, and I thought I'd get better than bloody lengthy short arm scissors and headlock stretches. Watching the highlights it's the best 30 minute match you'll ever see forced to last 62 minutes plus shenanigans. Putting my objective hat on, HBK'S big ascent to the throne has nowhere near the impact it should have done because of the constraints of the match ; it comes across as an endurance trial for the wrestlers rather than a fight. Subsequent bashes at going 60 minutes were so much better - almost exclusively - despite the calibre of the two men involved. It's fucking heartbreaking. In terms of expectations vs reality nothing will ever touch the first Iron Man match for reminding me that sometimes wrestling lets you down - even when it's Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels. It's the only answer for me.

• Paid Members
On 1/18/2019 at 4:51 PM, wandshogun09 said:

I’ve decided it’s ECW’s Wrestlepalooza 98 for me. So I voted ‘other’. The cheek of them charging PPV for this load of old bollocks. 

Shane Douglas vs Al Snow in a shit main event that felt like it went on forever but probably wasn’t that long. The only thing the match had going for it was that Al Snow was really catching on with the Head gimmick at the time. The match itself is cack, Douglas is injured and worse than usual and when it’s over they go on as if you’ve just watched Ric Flair vs Terry Funk in 1989. 

The card also has Rob Van Dam vs Sabu, which goes to a 30 minute draw and is probably the worst and sloppiest match they had against each other. Main memory of it is Sabu sliding under the rope to throw up over the apron onto the floor. EC-Dub! EC-Dub! 

Bam Bam vs New Jack, which I can’t remember at all but sounds like a styles clash. The FBI vs bWo might’ve been harmless fun. But you also had Axl Rotten on there to swing it back into sloppy shite territory. 

I got the DVD of this turd back when Delta were releasing them all in 2001 or 2002, whenever. I felt like I’d been mugged when it was over. 

The show isn't a total waste. Credible vs Whipwreck is a good match. The Balls/Axl tag is harmless fun. I have a soft spot for Bam Bam/New Jack. It's a highly entertaining car crash of a match with New Jack doing his usual shtick until Bigelow gets fed up, absolutely destroys him and ends up knocking him out cold.

• Paid Members

There are loads of contenders and a lot of those events are representative of some poor times overall from the companies, but I voted for the Great American Bash 2004. For my money, Smackdown had completely ended it's golden period following WrestleMania that year. Sure there was some nonsense with Zach Gowen, Stephanie, Sable, Vince and other bollocks like that in 2003, but the rest of the shows would vary between pretty solid to great   By the time you get to Great American Bash 2004 you're left with a card littered with this:

Luther Reigns Vs Charlie Haas, Kenzo Suzuki Vs Billy Gunn, Cena Vs Booker Vs Rene Dupree vs RVD, Sable Vs Torrie Wilson, Mordecai Vs Hardcore Holly, JBL Vs Eddie Guerrero, Undertaker Vs The Dudley's over the right to bury Bearer in Quakers. Only Mysterio Vs Chavo could really have been categorised as good. What a shower of shite that whole second half of 2004 was for Smackdown. 

Archived