Jose Also says it's 1, 2, 3 more and done for him. . .

WeeAl

• Paid Members

Mad that Jose is still only 32. His peak may have past, but he's still a very good fighter so I'm happy he is sticking about. I wonder if the retirement talk was him trying to squeeze some extra money out of the UFC so he'd stick about? Clever if it worked.

He signed the deal before the Volkanovski loss.

I guess he sees the likes of Shogun and Anderson fighting well into their late 30s and 40s. And also years after their respective primes ended. In contrast, Aldo is only 32 and is still looking competitive. However, lighter weight fighters don't tend to age well. Especially lightweights and featherweights. The turnover of fighters in both divisions is immense.  It's not like the light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions, where fighters stick around for years on end. It's possible that the losses will start piling up for Jose at some point and he gets cut before his current contract expires. 

But we shall see. 

10 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Well, it didn't take very long for Jose to change his mind. He's signed a new, 8 fight deal with the UFC. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/6/24/18716377/former-champion-jose-aldo-new-ufc-deal

I'm glad we'll get to see him fighting for another while yet. Hopefully he looks closer to how he did against Stephens and Moicano than compared to the Volkanovski fight though. 

I think the Volkanovski fight was more about Volkanovski looking good than Aldo looking bad. Aldo didn't look like a shot fighter in any way to me, Alex just had a great gameplan to completely neutralise him.

Those performances against Stephens and Moicano were amongst the best in Aldo's highlight reel though. He's still got plenty left in the tank, so I'm glad he re-signed. The McGregor and Holloway losses got blown out of proportion in my view. It's understandable, looking at someone who's had a long career, been on an incredible run and then having that run end, thinking that they're declining, but I never thought that was the case with Aldo. He just encountered two of the best featherweights ever in close succession. Again, Holloway and McGregor have proven themselves amongst the best 145ers ever (despite Conor's Proper Shitarsery these days), it's a credit to them, not a slight on Aldo as a fighter.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Mad that Jose is still only 32.

Yeah, I think there’s still a few good fights in him yet. It’s something that made me laugh whenever Paulie Malignaggi was ripping into McGregor, he’d sometimes throw in ’he beat a 102 year old Jose Aldo’ to try to discredit that win by saying Aldo was old and shot. Aldo is about 6 years younger than Paulie Eyebrows and far from shot. 

Aldo is brilliant. While I do think he’s probably lost a step over the last 4 or 5 years, I think the main reason he’s starting taking Ls is because the overall skill level at 145 has risen and some of the rest of the pack have caught up to him. Holloway has proven he’s next level and I really feel like Volkananovski might be something special as well. 

What I really want to see out of this 8 fight deal (or however many fights he actually does) is Aldo at 155. There’s not much more he can do at 145. He built a legendary body of work at featherweight. He can’t really add much to it and it’s unlikely he gets another title shot while Holloway holds the belt. It’s time for that lightweight run, IMO. I don’t see him troubling the likes of Khabib or Ferguson but there’s so many fresh and cool matchups for him at 155 it’s insane. Aldo vs Pettis, Aldo vs Cerrone, Aldo vs Gaethje, Aldo vs Barboza. The list goes on and on and on. And why keep doing that weight cut to 145? A move up to lightweight could be exactly what he needs to rejuvenate him. And there’s always the outside chance of that McGregor rematch. It just feels like a much more appealing route to take, IMO. The alternative is a bunch of retreads at 145 whereas 155 is where the bigger fights are and with the added luxury of not having to cut so much weight. It’s got to be at least worth a go. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, it'd have to be a "retirement" run of fun matches - there's no way Jose (heh) could contribute any more to 155 than he has to 145, and I think Holloway's loss to Poirier probably highlighted just how much of a limit size differentials place on a fighter, irrespective of their talent. In a way, it's a shame there's no junior lightweight division, as I reckon Aldo would have a lot to contribute to it.