Full Time Dad

Joe Blog

Hello all. I am hoping to get some advice from you fine people. 

My wife and I recently welcomed our daughter into the world. She has been a joy and an absolute privilege. 

Now my wife goes back to work soon and I am working part time  to provide 2 days of childcare. However it is actually costing us 2.5k a year for me to work. I earn pennies so my wage does not even cover nursery fees. 

Lately I have been considering packing in work and providing full childcare. I am a Teaching Assisstant so it’s not career suicide by any means. 

Thoughts? Do I make the plunge? 

Fuck yeah, go for it. 

When our kids were born, I was insanely jealous of the time my ex spent with the girls, and conversely she was jealous that I got to talk to real people during the day. I’m sure the time you spend together will provide an awesome bond between you. 

I think the financial aspect is something that puts most people off so if it’s not too much of a stretch, go for it. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

The most important aspect of giving up work to raise a child is, and I can't express how paramount it is to do, you have to change your job on Facebook to "Full time Daddy (best job in the world)."

Keith's right here. Don't forget to also change you education information to 'attended school of hard knocks' while you're at it.

1 minute ago, Gus Mears said:

Keith's right here. Don't forget to also change you education information to 'attended school of hard knocks' while you're at it.

And that your further education was completed at "university of life"

Thanks chsps. We will have more disposable income with me not working so finances are not the crux of it. 

I have felt like I am contributing less working as I cannot even afford her nursery fees. I hsve also finally landed a job I love in an industry I am passionate about. But like I said it’s bottom of the rung so not a goodbye forever job. 

Thanks Chest, would certainly put her back into nursery when she gets the free hours to help her settle. 

Really appreciate this everyone. Been humming and harring for a while now. 

• Paid Members

If it’s right for your family and circumstances, 100% do it.

I dropped 2 days, my wife dropped 1 and we have her in nursery for 2 days, but only from 14 months old. 

We contemplated me dropping work altogether but I decided I really wanted her to engage with other kids as much as possible. Play groups etc are grand, don’t get me wrong, but it lacks an element that nursery provides.

She’s such an active and super friendly kid that I felt if I kept her at home, it would actually be more of a selfish move on my part. I’d love to stay off with her, but she craves that interaction from other kids so much and she’s genuinely socially developed since being in nursery. She absolutely loves the place.

For me it really comes down to you knowing your kid, especially their needs, more specifically their social needs. If you can provide that based on close by friends, play groups, activities etc, then fair play. I just didn’t have those options at the time unfortunately.

• Paid Members

Do it! I'd have done it at the drop of the hat if possible. Maybe have something arranged to have adult interaction because every stay at home mother or father that left work say they miss the mental stimulation of talking to adults.

• Awards Moderator

I'm fairly certain you won't look back in ten years saying "I really wish I'd worked more instead of spending time with my daughter." 

It won't be all giggles and joy 100% of the time, but future self will thank you. 

Archived