UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs Velasquez - Feb 17 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Kron Gracie interview. 

I knew it’d been a long time but didn’t realise that a Gracie hasn’t won in the UFC since 1994! Got a feeling that comes to an end tomorrow night. I’m a fan of Caceres but I’d be a bit surprised if he causes the upset here, despite his MMA experience advantage. If Kron loses tomorrow night then Ron Van Clief must’ve put a curse on the Gracies or something. 

Sounds like Nate Diaz is working the corner for Kron as well. Haven’t heard of any Rickson sightings in Phoenix yet but surely he’ll be in the corner as well? 

• Paid Members

yeh, the answer to the corner question leads me to believe maybe Rickson will be there, if not maybe both Diaz brothers?

good little interview though, he definitely has a bit of an aura about him. Always special to see Gracies in the UFC.

• Paid Members

Is Rickson in the Hall Of Fame yet? If not then they need to fix that. I know he never fought in the UFC but who cares? Neither did Charles Tapout and Sakuraba only fought on one UFC show. If Rickson’s in town for this show maybe they’ll sort it out if he’s up for it. They usually have a few inductions around the July PPV weekend don’t they? So that could line up with Kron’s next fight as well. 

• Paid Members

thanks for those videos wand. any other pre-fight stuff worth a gander? im avoiding youtube because of Bellator spoilers.

As for tonight, if Cain comes anywhere close to what be was i cant see him having any trouble getting past Ngannou, theres a punchers chance that Ngannou clocks him but Cain beats him everywhere outside of that. It does feel muted though, there was a point in time when Cain was easily my favorite fighter. I still rate him as the greatest heavyweight of all time, its just the inactivity and lay offs has cooled him off to the point where he almost feels like an afterthought. I hope this fight reignites everything and we can get Cain fighting 2-3 times a year from now on.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

thanks for those videos wand. any other pre-fight stuff worth a gander? im avoiding youtube because of Bellator spoilers.

It’s thin on the ground and I’ve been looking. There’s these though...

Good Francis Ngannou interview where he comes off as the most likeable man ever. Snappy dresser too;

Cain talks Ngannou, a potential DC/Jones fight at heavyweight and the 70% chance he goes to WWE 😳;

Fighters predict Ngannou vs Cain;

DC previews Ngannou vs Cain; 

DC quote on Cain too;

“You’re gonna see vintage. Like, the best. Nothing’s changed! He’s still as good, he’s still as fast, he still can wrestle as well.

You’ve got to remember, this whole time that he’s been out he’s been just helping me. The whole time, he’s been helping me. And that’s what makes me so sad is that I’ve only been able to be there for him on a few occasions because I can train and then I’m hurt for a week. So I haven’t been able to be there as consistently as I’d want to. But he’s just been helping me. And think about what I’ve done since the last time Cain fought. I’ve defended the light heavyweight title, like, 2 or 3 times, won the heavyweight title, defended the heavyweight title. So he’s been just pushing me to heights that I never thought I could reach. So, no. You won’t see a difference in Cain Velasquez. He’s still as good as he ever was. He’ll be the champ. Very, very soon. Like, as soon as I’m out of there, he’ll be the champion.”

• Paid Members

Yeah. It was a good interview with Luke Thomas, where that DC quote comes from. How great will it be is Cain is still Cain? If he wins you've got that Stipe match (which I assume will be for the title when DC retires after Brock) to clarify who is the greatest modern/UFC heavyweight in history. Plus, Jones and Cain look set to have a collision for the GOAT title, if all goes well.

If Cain isn't relatively healthy now, then he's never going to be. It's to his credit he had a word and realised he needed to step away from it. Of course, part of the time away is due to him telling UFC to pay him his worth, but for a beast like Cain it must have been daunting sitting about in his pants and playing Football Manager.

Cain also seems a little more media-friendly, these days, which makes him easier to cheer on. During his glory years he was boring anytime he was not in the cage, but he's let his guard down and seems like a really nice killer you can have a laugh with. I guess some of that is due to him realising how well DC is set to do post fight career, so is making moves to show he does have something resembling a personality. On a side note, in that Thomas/DC interview, Thomas rightly points out how rare AKA is in that there never seems to be massive drama and everyone seems to want their partners to do well. Thomas pointing out that Rockhold leaving would have caused all manner of bollocks in public, but AKA still treat him like a brother. Of course, Cain and DC seem about as tight as you can get, with either man taking turns to step back to let the other shine.

• Paid Members

Yeah and even years back they managed that period where they had Koscheck, Fitch and Swick all in the mix at 170. Dana was kicking up a fuss about them refusing to fight each other but they all stuck to their guns and supported each other when the big title/contender fights came. 

I’ve always had a love/hate thing towards AKA. The only guys I’ve ever really liked from there have been Cain and DC (well, and Frank Shamrock and BJ Penn if you want to go really old school). But with the odd exception (Koscheck’s eventual exit and beef with Javier Mendez) they do all seem to be a tight unit who leave egos at the door when it comes to helping and pushing each other to do well. 

Oh and once again, I love Francis Ngannou...

4179B47F-0E5E-400F-AE8B-5B71546C07E2.jpeg

Cain’s hometown or not, how could they boo this man at the weigh in? Cunts. 

The knee expedited the finish, but Francis forced it with his power. There was a short uppercut that caused Cain to drop, which blew the knee out.

I feel bad for Francis as the commentators missed it, so now the narrative is that it was a freak finish. He won the fight, simple.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I feel bad for Francis as the commentators missed it, so now the narrative is that it was a freak finish. He won the fight, simple.

Dom Cruz didn't. He brought up the uppercut after the interviews.

The camera angle for the super slow-mo replay wasn't the best because you miss the Ngannou punch, but you definitely see Cain's head wobble just as his knee explodes.

You feel sorry for Cain, but even he admitted after that he fought like a tit. I'm pretty sure the one thing his coaches told him not to do against Ngannou was rush him in the opening of the round. What do you do, though? His body just isn't going to keep pace, it seems.

As always with Ngannou, there is not a more dangerous man in the sport in the opening 2 minutes. It's truly terrifying and points to, once more, the greatness of Stipe.

Kron did the job. The way he got the fight to the mat was beautiful and, oof, he hasn't half got his old man's squeeze.

Archived