• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

SOS is the best ABBA song, and second best pop song. The best is Biology 

24 minutes ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

The best is Biology 

New York, London, Paris, Munich everyone talk about Biology, because it's the best pop song. 

• Paid Members

Honourable mention also for No Good Advice, their second single and maybe even more important than their debut. Can you imagine if they were one hit wonders with Sound of the Underground and their follow up was a bust? We wouldn’t even HAVE a Biology. Or Love Machine. Or a Long Hot Bloody Summer.

• Paid Members

Biology is an absolute banger and, importantly, utterly mental. It feels like they got halfway through writing three different songs, and just smashed them all together and clocked off early. Like a girl group Mr. Bungle.

"Glass Of Champagne" is a hell of a shout, too.

The actual right answer to this is "Young Hearts Run Free" by Candi Staton, though. 

I'll take Baby One More Time over Biology. It's not as catchy as some of the best pop songs. I doubt it's in the top 50 for me.

Vogue is in my top 5.

Also, Spice Girls have a load. Talking of a load (kennethwilliams.jpg), Overload by Sugababes is decent though not the best pop song.

• Paid Members

In what I assumed would be the first Black Lace nomination in this thread, Superman has topped my list since I first heard it at around 5 years old.

I've since been laughed at by DJ's when I requested it be played at my 18th, 21st and wedding respectively.

If you don't join in, you ought to get your pulse checked.

• Paid Members

My favourite Girls Aloud song is actually The Loving Kind. Me deciding that a Pet Shop Boys-penned song brought to life by Girls Aloud was one of the best pop songs ever came as no shock to my circle of mates. Call The Shots is pretty fucking good too.

Best ever is really tough, depending on mood and how cheesy I feel at any given time it definitely comes from the mid to late 80s/early 90s and is possibly A Little Respect by Erasure, King of Wishful Thinking by Go West, Baby I Don't Care by Transvision Vamp, Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle or about seven songs from The Immaculate Collection.

"Worst" song that I freely admit to adoring is Good Girls Go To Heaven Bad Girls Go Everywhere by Pandora's Box. Awful video but the song I find moorish as crack. Ring the shame bell.

Regardless of what the best pop song is, I think it's safe to say the probably the greatest pop song writer has to be the behemoth that is Max Martin. The man basically invented modern day pop music.

If you don't know who he is, he's this 47 year old, Swedish bloke:

220px-Max_Martin.jpg

He started his career as the singer in the glam-metal band, It's Alive, who released a couple of albums before he quit to concentrating on writing and producing for the label they were on after the band's album sales tanked. His first production job was co-producing an Ace of Base record in the mid-ninties that sold a good few million.

He's written and co-written 22 US Number 1 singles and produced 20. The only people beating him on writing are Paul McCartney on 32 and John Lennon on 26, and George Martin on the production side with 22. I can see him beating both George Martin and John Lennon within the next few years with ease.

I'd go as far as saying he is solely responsible for the boy/girl group and pop music boom in the late 90's. His songwriting CV is phenomenal. Take any Best of the 90's or 00's compilation and over half of it will be songs by Martin.

Backstreet Boys - "Quit Playing Games (with My Heart)"
                  "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)"
                  "As Long As You Love Me"
                  "Larger than Life"
                  "I Want It That Way"
                  "Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely"
                  "Shape of My Heart"
5ive - "Slam Dunk Da Funk"
Bryan Adams - "Cloud Number Nine"
Bon Jovi - "It's My Life"
*NSYNC - "I Want You Back"
         "Tearin' Up My Heart"
         "It's Gonna Be Me"
Britney Spears - "...Baby One More Time"
                 "(You Drive Me) Crazy"
                 "Oops!... I Did It Again"
                 "Stronger"
                 "Overprotected"
                 "I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman"
Kelly Clarkson - "Since U Been Gone"
                 "Behind These Hazel Eyes"
                 "My Life Would Suck Without You"
Pink - "Who Knew"
       "U + Ur Hand"
       "So What"
       "Raise Your Glass"
       "Fuckin' Perfect"
Katy Perry - "I Kissed a Girl"
             "Hot n Cold"
             "California Gurls"
             "Teenage Dream"
             "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)"
             "The One That Got Away"
             "Part of Me"
             "Wide Awake"
             "E.T."
             "Roar"
Jessie J - "Domino"
           "Bang Bang"
Usher - "DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love"
Justin Beiber - "Beauty and a Beat"
Taylor Swift - "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"
               "I Knew You Were Trouble"
               "22"
               "Blank Space"
               "Shake It Off"
               "Bad Blood"
The Weeknd - "I Can't Feel My Face"

Basically every Top 5 hit that Katy Perry, Pink, Ariana Grande and Taylor Swift have ever had. He even wrote a few tracks for people like Westlife, Gary Barlow and Shane Ward which never really went anywhere. Goes to show that even with the songwriting expertise of Max Martin behind them, they are still absolute dog shite.

Who would have thought that a Swedish metal head would have such a tight grip on the world of pop music.

Archived