Best British Sportsperson of Your Lifetime

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Becks has certainly done his bit. Think it’s something like ten league titles across multiple countries (and continents) along with other honours like Champions Leagues, FA Cups etc and as much as we often liked to poke fun at him, a great ambassador for the game and a good captain for England. ‘98 will always be a black mark against him, but it’s a testament to him that although it’s always lived with him, it never defined him as such. His game evolved with age too, which is another testament to him. He’s never just been about having a sexy right foot. 

There are others who have won more and played for longer so I don’t think he can be considered the greatest. But there’s certainly a case to be made for him being the biggest star - he’s a bonafide household name and he’s sill someone who commands attention even having retired from sport. How much you judge that as part of your criteria is up to you. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

I am ready to take a pasting for this but I am going to throw Beckhams name in the hat. 

Well, I mean, at least back this up or something.

Putting aside all the usual 'darts and snooker aren't sports' absolute *bollocks* spouted normally by fat men bitter that they can't hit a minute target with a sharp object from several feet away after 26 pints of Special Brew, it's groper Taylor or Stephen Hendry for me.

Taylor's dominance didn't come at some time when his opponents were especially weak. They weren't. Some of the greatest players who ever played darts came and went during his run. He was just THAT good, it was extraordinary.

As for Hendry, it's a similar scenario. I hear the case for Ronnie O'Sullivan and I've never seen a more naturally gifted snooker player ever, and he's one of the most naturally gifted sportsmen I've seen full stop. But Hendry's mental strength and his tactical play were unbelievable, his concentration almost unbreakable. I hated the cunt because I was a massive Jimmy White fan. However, he's still the best.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'll go Tony McCoy. Won the jockey's title something stupid like 15 times in a row. Overcome various serious injuries that would have been career ending to other men.

His body is like the diagram on the back of Foley's first book.

McCoy has incredible strength and determination to win but even McCoy calls John Francombe "The Greatest Jockey" He would just be within your lifetime, though he finished up when you were young. 

Having said that the ride on Wichita Lineman in the 2009 William Hill Trophy at Cheltenham is one of the best rides you will ever see. That horse didn't travel, didn't jump, and wasn't interested in winning. McCoy was. 

https://youtu.be/flJ7XOWWFrM

• Paid Members

Joe Calzaghe is a heck of a shout. I was going to be facetious and drop Kris Akabusi's name. Linford Christie? Sally Gunnell? Paula Radcliffe? Kelly Holmes?

• Paid Members

Would any of England's cricketers get into this list? I was mainly thinking Jimmy Anderson or Alistair Cook.

Jimmy Anderson has consistently gotten wickets for England and has the fourth highest number of wickets in history, and Alistair Cook is the fifth highest runs scorer in international cricket, and both have been part of some or all of the England teams won the Ashes five times in the last 13 years, including ending the Australian dominance of the whole of the 90s and early 00s in 2005. 

Archived