Best British Sportsperson of Your Lifetime

Gus Mears

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

If any cricketer was discussed for this it would be Kevin Pietersen, but Jimmy Anderson would be an outsider. Anderson's longevity might put him in with a stronger shout a couple of years down the line because he never gets injured and he's arguably getting better with age.

• Paid Members
On 1/11/2019 at 8:36 PM, Fatty Facesitter said:

Becks has certainly done his bit. Think it’s something like ten league titles across multiple countries (and continents) along with other honours like Champions Leagues, FA Cups etc and as much as we often liked to poke fun at him, a great ambassador for the game and a good captain for England. ‘98 will always be a black mark against him, but it’s a testament to him that although it’s always lived with him, it never defined him as such.

Simeone play-acted a bit on that one and got Beckham sent off. It was the newspapers that flew off the handle even though Diego Simeone was blatantly play-acting. Beckham was in the papers at the time with the Spice Girls so he was the easy target. If it was Southgate, nobody would have gave a toss. He was an easy target.

• Paid Members

Frank Bruno for me. Few sportsmen could balance a heavyweight boxing career with playing buttons in panto and guest appearances on Big Break. There was a lot on his plate and I for one think he did a marvelous job.

Tony Green as well. But purely from a point of view of how Bill Apter got in the Observer Hall of Fame. He made stars out of those charity throwers on Bullseye. Selfless until the end (he's not dead.)

Someone already said Ronnie O Sullivan.

For me, it has to be Lewis Hamilton - 

• 5 time Formula One World Champion (2nd to Schumi)
  • 73 race victories (2nd to Schumi)
  • 3,018 career points (most ever)

Outside of Schumacher, he's the greatest F1 driver ever, and he'll surpass the remaining records before he retires.  He's dominated his spot during a time when more world champions competed than ever before.  And it's not a UK only sport either like darts or snooker - this is a genuine worldwide sport that he's sat on the top of.  In terms of dominance of his profession, there aren't many British sportsmen who come close.

Hamilton had also been in one of the best cars do he has had a bit of an advantage. If he'd been doing brilliantly from the back of the grid, maybe. But in a sport so reliant on technology, would he have done so well on a level playing field? 

I should add I know nothing about F1, just going on my basic understanding! 

2 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Hamilton had also been in one of the best cars do he has had a bit of an advantage. If he'd been doing brilliantly from the back of the grid, maybe. But in a sport so reliant on technology, would he have done so well on a level playing field? 

Yes.  He is the best driver since Alonso but he is also one of the fastest.  Technology and the best car does go a long way, but there is a reason Hamilton gets the best cars, much like why the best footballers end up at the best clubs.  He is phenomenal. 

45 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Better than Prost and Senna?  Nah.

I'm with Mangus. In my eyes he's a better qualifier than Senna, a better racer than Prost and, given the same treatment Schumacher was given at Ferrari, he'd already have surpassed all his records and might well do so anyway.

5 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

I'm with Mangus. In my eyes he's a better qualifier than Senna, a better racer than Prost and, given the same treatment Schumacher was given at Ferrari, he'd already have surpassed all his records and might well do so anyway.

I think if Senna or Prost were racing now, I reckon they'd have achieved all Hamilton has and more.  I don't think he'd have done the same they did in their era.  I mean, the "Most points" was mentioned, but you get more than double for a win nowadays.

Archived