Best British Sportsperson of Your Lifetime

Gus Mears

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but just because how annoyed people seem to get about his robot voice on interviews and him being Scottish. 

Also that he had a sense of humour that a lot of people didn't get. The 'Anyone but England' line that people (sorry pillocks) like Tony Parsons always used to bang on about, was a joke with Tim Henman.

• Paid Members

Joking aside, Darts and Snooker are phenomonal sports to watch but if we're judging this, then you're talking about mentality, skill and fitness on another level and those sports only have the first two. The best at those sports are brilliant but they don't have to manage that third aspect unlike a boxer or a tennis player. So not for me.

• Paid Members

Not an easy question to answer, as so many sports have different criteria, not to mention that there are probably loads of external criteria other people use, such as what such-and-such did for their sport in paving the way for others, rather than just silverware. For example, David Beckham: won almost every trophy it's possible to win playing for the clubs he did, but also "broke" the US to an unprecedented level.

Lennox Lewis: beat all the big names of his era, avenged all his losses, won and regained all the big ones and defended them, and retired with his health comparatively intact for a boxer.

Daley Thompson - being a decathlete means you have to be pretty amazing across the board, but being the only British Olympic gold medallist in the decathlon and breaking records with it means he's got to be up there. On top of that, he played professional lower-league football, and he did a load of work getting young working-class kids into athletics.

Jessica Ennis-Hill: not just an Olympic gold medallist, but also multiple World champion, and the poster-woman for British athletics at the height of her career. 

Chris Boardman: didn't win as many cycling events as his successors, but arguably the most important British cyclist in terms of how he pretty much got everything rolling with his pioneering efforts (including making his own customised cycling equipment that many now copy), and ushered in this golden age of British cycling. He won Olympic gold too, when the Brits weren't considered all that much in cycling in comparison to the continental Europeans.

EDIT: Great shout for Sir Steve Redgrave earlier. Winning gold at five Olympics on the trot has got to put him up there.

Would have said Daley Thompson but I wasn't alive for his peak. Fantastic moustache as well.

Talking of a moustache's and not seeing people in their prime, I'll throw in Botham there. Fantastic all rounder who won the Ashes for England basically on his own.

2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Just getting in first before you had another hilarious dig at our cultural City 😉

First? Are you sure?

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yes we are, only Tories or people who live where maths and medicine hasn't reached yet wouldn't. 

Ah right, this is that maths thing I mentioned. I think your lot will enjoy it when it launches in a few years. 

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Twenty seven years after turning professional he is still at the top of his sport, and arguably at a time when the competition is tougher than it's ever been.

74 Tournaments won (to the best of my knowledge)
34 Ranking titles (second only to Stephen Hendry)
19 Triple Crown titles (the most)
7 UK Championships (a record)
7 Masters Championships (a record)
5 World Championships (including taking a full season away from the sport after winning the World title for the fourth time to then retain it the next year)

986 career centuries in tournament play (over 200 clear of Stephen Hendry in second place)

15 147 maximums (a record)

A 147 maximum in 5 minutes and 20 seconds

He has a win percentage of 75.1% (over 5% higher than second place John Higgins)

This also a man who suffered with depression and had legitimate mental frailties for the best part of his career until working with Dr Stephen Peters.  If he had the same aptitude in his early years as he does now, he would have blown all snooker records out of the park and put them way beyond the reach of anyone else.

Oh, and this is a sportsman who is every bit as good with his left hand as he is his right (watch the deep red played into the green pocket with his opposite hand in the final of the Welsh Open while on for a 147!).

An absolute genius and one of a kind.

24 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Would have said Daley Thompson but I wasn't alive for his peak. Fantastic moustache as well.

There was a tabloid thing going on back in his peak about Carl Lewis being "Good with colours", as you can imagine attitudes towards homosexuality were not exactly progressive back then. Daley wore a t-shirt in the warm up that said "Is the worlds 2nd greatest athlete gay?"  Brilliant piece of trolling!

Archived