Best British Sportsperson of Your Lifetime

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

With the news that Andy Murray is retiring imminently due to injury, who has been the best British sportsperson of your lifetime* and why?

Murray's certainly up there on my list. To become world no.1 at the time he did is phenomenal (despite Nadal and Federer being knackered at the time). The first Wimbledon win and the two gold medals are some of my favourite ever sports memories, despite not being a huge tennis fan.

Mo Farah is the other one that comes to mind. Outside of the accomplishments that certainly put him in the conversation anyway, his early life story around fleeing Somalia is amazing. 

*The lifetime bit is so @Thunderplex can tell us about Stanley Matthews and Herbert Sutcliffe. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

It's obviously Eddie Hall because he's awesome as is strongman. I know I am generally not a sports fan but this isn't a joke submission - something I like about these contests is the camaraderie and attitude of the contestants. I think they get overlooked and not taken seriously but they work crazy hard and generally don't let their egos get in the way.

I wish him all the best for whatever he does post retirement!

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's obviously Eddie Hall because he's awesome as is strongman. I know I am generally not a sports fan but this isn't a joke submission - something I like about these contests is the camaraderie and attitude of the contestants. I think they get overlooked and not taken seriously but they work crazy hard and generally don't let their egos get in the way.

I wish him all the best for whatever he does post retirement!

There a news segment a while back where they followed Eddie Hall and I swear they filmed him drinking the fat left in the pan after cooking a bunch of bacon. It was fantastic. 

• Paid Members

Andy Murray for me. Farah was sensational and plenty of others have been, particularly some of the greatest boxers, but i think Murray tips it for me because of two things. Firstly, the weight of hope on his shoulders. He came into Men's tennis at a time where, despite Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski working hard to change it, Brits had acheived nothing for generations. Secondly, unlike Heavyweight boxing and other sports we could think of, Murray existed at a time when Men's Tennis was it's all-time highest in terms of quality and won grand slams in the same era as three of the best there have ever been.

I love hundreds of sportmen far more, particularly footballers, but you can't dismiss his acheivements in an individual sport that requires fitness and dedication above most others.

• Paid Members

As much as I don't personally like him I have to concede that Lewis Hamilton has made quite the career for himself

Andy Murray has to be there. To do what he did, in the era that he did it, puts him right at the top for me. Also a fantastic tactician.

I would say its then a fight between Wiggins, Froome, Mo, Redgrave.

I think Jessica Ennis would be in there had she won the gold at the last Olympics. Definitely in the top 10.

If we are counting Darts, then Ronnie O'Sullivan is in there

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

As much as I don't personally like him I have to concede that Lewis Hamilton has made quite the career for himself

Not really a sport, is it? 

My pick is Ronnie O Sullivan.  

Archived