Series with huge character arcs

gmoney

• Paid Members

Ross is over-acted during his mental run midway through the series. There are some great moments, like that time he got stuck in a toilet with no trousers, but he's shouty a lot and it's off-putting.

Wonder how that story of him shagging a student would go down nowadays?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
22 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Wonder how that story of him shagging a student would go down nowadays?

You mean it's not just...frowned upon?

For reasons that aren't the obvious one, I actually had to look at the regulations around that at one of the universities I work with, and it turns out that, in their case, it basically is just "frowned upon".

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Don't see anything super controversial about that. Having watched the full run through since they added it to Netflix the stuff that's aged poorly is the homophobic and transphobic humour. Apart from that nothing really stood out to me.

What's transphobic about it? Nothing jumping out to me beyond Joey not understanding Unisex and that rumour that Rachel had both reproductive parts.

Can't say I thought it was homophobic either. We just talking about Chandler's disdain at being thought of as gay? Given they had a lesbian wedding in the first series (I think), I've always thought of it as ahead of the curve.

• Awards Moderator

Andy Bernard in The Office was one of the oddest character arcs. In seasons 2 and 3 he was a joy as a character, despite him being a sniveling, self-serving weirdo. But from around season 8 or 9 (I think), they shifted it so he was just an unbearable dickhead and it was a blessing when he left. It was as if there was no association with the original Andy when he was first introduced in the Stamford office. It was around the time he started doing more films, but it was just a very odd way for the character to go.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Even 90s standards are a lot more advanced than Hull, though.  I think Friends is considered SciFi oop there.

"hilarious"

9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The stuff around Chandler's dad did lead to the best gag in the series, though;

"Did your dad ever hug you, Chandler?"
"No...did he hug you?"

Yeah, there's some great stuff in there. Was only thinking about Viva Las Gaygas last week. I don't think it'd fly now but never found it offensive. It's also funny.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Andy Bernard in The Office was one of oddest character arcs. In seasons 2 and 3 he was a joy as a character, despite him being a sniveling, self-serving weirdo. But from around season 8 or 9 (I think), they shifted it so he was just an unbearable dickhead and it was a blessing when he left. It was as if there was no association with the original Andy when he was first introduced in the Stamford office. It was around the time he started doing more films, but it was just a very odd way for the character to go.

I'm up to season 7 now so I haven't seen past that but you're right in that it's definitely an odd arc. Trying to buy into him as a loveable idiot while he's courting Erin was a tricky one. 

Jim's is an interesting one for obvious reasons just because of the relationship with Pam, but that period in season 6 where's co-manager with Michael and you see him get more and more frustrated and try to show authority was some great development. He's naturally a fun, good-natured guy but you could tell he struggled to maintain authority and make that transition, and they told that beautifully. 

I don't know. Jim seemed like a huge dickhead throughout. He's a bully to Dwight and he tries to get off with a fellas girlfriend. Goes out with Karen and drops her to ask Pam out for dinner after he ran away when she turned him down. Also he didn't invite Michael to his party!

Archived