Baldness

lightningxlock

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Wasn't a good time for a few years; such a big deal is made of tying masculinity to hair, and it's never nice to read on things like dating sites and apps the phrase "no baldies". Took me a while to come to terms with it, especially when there's historically been a narrative of mocking men for losing their hair, and mocking them for trying to do the only socially-acceptable things about it, i.e. wigs, hair restorer, comb-overs, surgery. 

Definitely feel you with this. In work me and a mate get called 'The Mitchell Brothers' despite the fact neither of us are properly bald and don't facially resemble them whatsoever.

I go back and forth on whether I'm actually cool with it all the time. Love the practicality and minimal upkeep of it but at the same time I really resent the lack of choice I now have. Suppose I can't moan too much, I did have about a decade of long hair that was the envy of near enough every girl I knew. I've fallen lucky in having a missus that loves the shaved head look. My poor mate's missus said she'd leave him if he ever went bald. I'm sure it's in jest but still not something you want to hear. 

I'm confused, as I learnt from the "Who do you look like" that you're all spitting images of Hollywood film stars, but some of you are also folically challenged?

I've made it into my 40s with a full head of hair, but it's starting to thin on top now, mainly due to stress in the last few years I imagine.  At the moment I'm doing the John Cena thing of one last proper head of hair, but I'm resigned to having to cut it all off eventually.  I had a grade 3 for most of my 20s and 30s so I know I can work that look.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, lightningxlock said:

Definitely feel you with this. In work me and a mate get called 'The Mitchell Brothers' despite the fact neither of us are properly bald and don't facially resemble them whatsoever.

I get told I look like Pitbull every time I wear a suit. Fucking Pitbull! 

• Paid Members

My hair started receding slightly when I was 18, so I assumed I'd be full Tiger Rick when I got to my late 20s. To my surprise, while it's receded slightly since, I still have a lovely head of hair on me 'ed. My Dad still has a good head of hair on him for his age, so hopefully it sticks about.

I guess one of the benefits of thinking you're going to be proper bald from a young age is you get over the initial vanity part and, as you get older, you don't really give a care. Between 20-24 I was pretty obsessed with checking in the mirror to see how it was going.

Plus, unlike some of you mutants, I'm definitely going to look beautiful with a shaved head.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Loki said:

I had a grade 3 for most of my 20s and 30s so I know I can work that look.

See there's nothing wrong with shaving your head if you're bald but having hair and having a number 3 all over just seems slovenly.

And sorry, @Carbomb  , I can see the Pitbull comparison now you've said it 😂

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I get told I look like Pitbull every time I wear a suit. Fucking Pitbull! 

Lucky you. Whenever I wear a suit I look like I should be shouting "BREXIT MEANS BREXIT" I can't get away from the fact I look like I have a whiff of gammon about me. 

My hairline is a tiny bit further back than it used to be but still nice and thick. I am only 30 though and work three days a week so plenty of time for that to change. Luckily I am also handsome as hell so even with no hair I will be grand. 

7 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Actually a nice excuse to sit quietly for a bit each evening, reading a book or something.

Is it because no one will go near you and your weird glowing hat in the pub?

Though I am getting mixed messages, because in the what do you look like thread lots of people mentioned Johnny Depp, Ross Noble and Noel Fielding, yet you all appear to be slapheads.

• Awards Moderator

My hairline is an absolute mess. In fact it’s so far back I think it’s still adding its nominations to the 2015 forum awards.

My old man went bald at 24 and carries it off well, but I’ve inherited the hairline from my Mum’s side of the family which gave me an extra few years. I’ve no issue with going bald or shaving it to a respectable level, but I had an accident when I was about 7 which has fucked that up. 

Came off my bike - over the handlebars - into a pile of dismantled shed bits and ended up in hospital for a few days. Massive flap of skin fell down over my eyes. Got a load of stitches. Was a hero in school.

Only problem is that the scar is in the shape of an uppercase M so if I shaved my head I’d be walking around like a demented advert for McDonalds. I’m single enough as it is so don’t need to add that to the list of lady deterrents.

Still, I’ve got two lungs so every cloud.

Archived