Baldness

lightningxlock

Thought I'd start a brand new thread for this particular topic. How is everybody getting on with their follicle challenge? I'm currently getting away with a number 1 all over however in the last year and a half it's starting to become obvious that I'll need to reach for the old Bic sooner rather than later. Still have full coverage but it is thinning on top. I'm still open somewhat to trying something to thicken it up but then I fall back into the 'it's all bullshit, nothing works' camp. Has anybody had positive results with any products?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I kind of knew I was doomed as both my father and grandfather are/were bald and I never really believed that old wives tale that baldness is passed down via the mother's genes.

Although I spent a few years hiding it pretty well, asking for a longer cut on the top and to hiding the temples etc, I opted for a number 1 before it got too obvious when I was 26 or so.

Personally I don't think its a good look when blokes desperately cling on to whatever they have left, and most seem happier after taking that scary initial plunge.

I'm now 34 and after a few years of trimming with no guard at all (number 0), this year I've finally started shaving it Stone Cold style, while carrying off a beard.

Its cheaper if nothing else. I always find it a bit depressing when celebrities have hair transplants etc, although there are plenty of bald celebs it would still help lessen the stigma if people just embraced it.

• Paid Members

I'm thinning a bit at the top and my hairline is slow retracting towards my ears, but right now it's looks great. Lovely mixture of shiney silver (not grey, you swine) and black, and I regularly have people asking if I purposely die my hair that way. I turn 31 in April but look like I should be celebrating my 45th at any point.

Still, the aforementioned hairline washing away like a seafront does mean that I'll eventually reach for the clippers and get a number 1 all round. I've got a conehead under it all though so I'm going to look like a right twat.

MV5BYWMwZGU5NWItYmZkNS00YTEzLWI4M2EtODA4

One thing I miss from my youth was the rarity of shaven heads.  Only Yul Brynner and skinheads had them and it was always wonderful to see men who thought they were hard lose their hair.  Nowadays every cunt has a cueball, but there was something joyful in seeing masculine men weep on the inside as they went bald.

• Paid Members

I've had a receding hairline since about 2003. It has regressed a little over the years but no where near the level I assumed it would. I was sure I'd be bald by 2007 but I've managed to get this far so I'm fairly optimistic. 

My Dad is 78 and rocks a wicked comb over. I inherited his big ears and larger than normal forehead, so shaving is not a viable option. 

• Paid Members

Went bald at 25. Had no chance - most of the men on my mum's side lost their hair young. Wasn't a good time for a few years; such a big deal is made of tying masculinity to hair, and it's never nice to read on things like dating sites and apps the phrase "no baldies". Took me a while to come to terms with it, especially when there's historically been a narrative of mocking men for losing their hair, and mocking them for trying to do the only socially-acceptable things about it, i.e. wigs, hair restorer, comb-overs, surgery. 

That said, I consider myself very lucky: I hit adulthood in an era when it's now acceptable and even cool for men to shave their heads; it's no longer the preserve of neo-Nazis and bovver boys. It's made it a lot easier to accept it, which means I save money on expensive "solutions" to a non-problem. 

• Paid Members

I’m bald and I can honestly say I’ve genuinely never been arsed with hair.* I was shaving it long before it started to go and when I could’ve actually grown a full head of it. So long ago that I didn’t even know I was losing it until the last few years when I was really ill and stuck in bed for days and I didn’t bother shaving my head for about a week. Looked in the mirror and was dismayed at the Steve MacDonald receder looking back at me. So now I don’t have a choice, even if I fancied growing it out I couldn’t and wouldn’t. Slaphead for life. 

* A lot of this is probably down to the fact that when I had hair it was a shite and wild mess whatever I tried to do with it anyway. 

So yeah, I’d definitely be a candidate for the ‘Roundest Heads’ thread on here. 

• Paid Members

I last visited a barbers when I was 15 and I'm 28 now so having very long hair is something I've known throughout all of my adult life, with occasional trims from girlfriends of the time or obliging female friends being the only haircuts I've had. Regrettably, I have noticed over the last couple of years that my mane days are numbered, with far more gaps becoming visible on my forehead than there used to be. It's definitely getting thinner on the top too. It's nothing too obvious yet, but it seems to be coming somewhere down the line in the next few years and that's depressing. I most definitely don't want to end up with a skullet or as a baldy long-hair so it's something I have thought about of late. Even the thought of eventually getting a short hair style  to draw attention away from any hair loss is one that concerns me, because apart from the love of heavy metal, one reason I've had long hair over all these years is out of having no idea what the hell to ask for at the barbers and zero clue what would look good on me. Uncharted waters for me!

• Paid Members

I had long hair until I was 18. I shaved it off and then it started growing back patches. I looked like a well used leather Casey.

18520A92-FC46-4C2B-9D29-8B3284156299.jpeg.eb1d0664f490c43bc618004c3b6603e1.jpeg

I’ve been on the Bics since I was 20. I’ve got two lungs, so laugh away Brian May, you hairy cow.

Archived