Underrated Runs (Pre 2000)

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Basically, a dump for runs which are underrated. For me, one of the best is WIndham and Hennig as a tag team in early 99. Windham lost weight (then put it back on in mid 99), and Hennig finally overcame his lazyness which afflicted him all through 97 and 98. They were a sweetarse team. MVP was probably Windham, but when isn't Windham the MVP of anything he's involved in? 

So yeah, underrated runs, pre 2000 WWE please.

• Paid Members

Disco Inferno's entire run. He was hilariously delusional that he could get away with doing a little dance every time he had the upper hand over someone a million times better than him. Bell to bell he was no more than "solid" but the joy was seeing him crushed or mangled. That segment where he was supposed to defend the TV title against Goldberg but Alex Wright came out and Goldberg just clobbered them both without a bell was more fun to me than about 100 of Goldy's streak wins. Later on of course Disco would actually tag with Das Wunderkind for double the dancing! Tremendous fun. Zero workrate but a guy I loved to see get pummeled. And his video was better than Konan's.

• Paid Members

Was going to mention Martel's WCW run. He looked like a star had some really entertaining matches then got injured. I'm not sure how rated Wrath's run of 1998 but he looked like the next star then got jobbed out to Nash

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, theironshake said:

I'm not sure how rated Wrath's run of 1998 but he looked like the next star then got jobbed out to Nash

I think this is a bit of a retcon that doesn't really ring true. He was on a good run and popular but on that night it was a loss to a guy on red hot form (just won World War 3) above him on the totem pole who was gathering steam for Goldberg, and it wasn't a squash. Wrath could have come out of this unscathed if he'd been booked well in the wake of the loss, but he wasn't. I think being a sacrificial lamb for Bam Bam at Souled Out harmed him far more than that loss on Nitro.

So don't blame the Nash loss, blame the bookers. Oh.... wait a second......

Loved 1992 Sid in looney mode. 

Helluva run in that Jan- June period. 

God jobbed at RR by Hogan and actually got the sympathy. 

Had that blinding tag match with Hogan vs I think Flair and Taker where he let Hogan get a pasting. 

Looked like he killed Virgil in that brutal squash (Virgil wasn't a jobber at this point and was off a hot run With dibiase and teaming with piper) 

Then at Wm8 gave Hogan the worst striping I'd seen Hogan get. 

Shame he fucked it by apparently telling Vince he didn't want Hogan's spot and the whole Warrior return gig (which didn't last 6 months) which prompted him to f off. 

Him in 92 winning the WC could have seen some cracking stuff if booked right and as an utter lunatic monster between him and whomever he ripped the belt from and rather than off TV having Bret win the WC v Flair have him go over Sid in a giant killing act at WM9

The propulsion it'd have given Bret in winning the BiG one against the monster on the biggest stage would have been amazing. 

Always will have a soft spot for watching Sid beast someone whilst pissing himself laughing during the process. Guy played nutjob killer a little too well. 

• Paid Members

A bit of a cliche with him getting a lot of hype last year, but PCO. Whether as Jean-Pierre Lafitte, in the Quebecers, or in the brilliantly named Amazing French Canadians, he was always great value for money.

Hakushi in 1995. Came in, felt different, had the shit hot matches with Bret and an underrated great opener with 1-2-3 Kid at Summerslam. They turned him babyface way too soon, but watch Survivor Series 95, people are still into Hakushi like a star. In a year where the company had so many misses with new characters or forced pushes, Hakushi should have been their Great Muta, and people were into him. Fell out of favour with the wrong folks and he was done by the end of January 1996.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Hakushi in 1995. Came in, felt different, had the shit hot matches with Bret and an underrated great opener with 1-2-3 Kid at Summerslam. They turned him babyface way too soon, but watch Survivor Series 95, people are still into Hakushi like a star. In a year where the company had so many misses with new characters or forced pushes, Hakushi should have been their Great Muta, and people were into him. Fell out of favour with the wrong folks and he was done by the end of January 1996.

Shawn vs Hakushi is a match than really should have happened on Superstars in 95 but so sadly didn't.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

He was one of my guys. I'm trying to think if he was the first guy I really, really wanted something more for. First time i saw him, I was blown away buy the look, the movement, the agility. I just absolutely loved him. Never saw much of hi besides his matches with Bret hart that made him look a million dollars which also helped.

Lafitte was another around the same time. Again, the Bret factor is probably huge but I really liked his character work and his agility for a big dude. Not sure where he could have gone realistically once his first feud was to lose to Bret but Hakushi could have been used far better. Especially when IMO at the time the IC Title scene was dull with the same old Razor/Shawn stuff and the threat of fucking Jarrett looming over it. Hakushi having great matches with the likes of Kid and Razor would have been much more fun.

Archived