Pro wrestling journalism (and fake news)

garynysmon

• Paid Members

By virtue of its status as a sub-cultureĀ it should hardly be a massive surprise, but the proliferation of newz! sites is making it more and more difficult to know who and what to trust these days.

It may be just me, but it seems there's only a handful of actual wrestling journalists out there while the rest is almost a game of Chinese whispers in rehashing half truths and rumours, leading to situation where no-one knows what or who to believe.

In many ways though, wresting had led the way in this clickbait nonsense that most of the nationals are now following despite Wrestling sites having been doing it since the late 90's.

Personally Mike Johnston at pwinsider.com seems to be one of the handful with actual contacts out there and I find his stuff to be pretty decent on the whole. And while its too easy to knockĀ Dave Meltzer, despite his status as the 'guru', I don't findĀ his writing half as interesting as I used to due to his obvious and unashamed obsession with New Japan and that heavy workrate style of wrestling (not to mention that he's batshit crazy on Twitter).

Is there anyone or any sitesĀ out there that are actually worth (or not) following?Ā 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Let us not forget the revolutionary force in professional wrestling journalism, Lords of Pain. If it doesnā€™t come there, then it isnā€™t true

That used to be my go to source for years until I finally sussed out how shit it was. It was once suggested by my IT teacher when I was in sixth form that I'd been visiting a bondage website. It was almost asĀ embarrassingĀ as the truth.

• Paid Members

The fact that Meltzer retweeted that daft video of England fans going ballistic over Okada's trunks the other day spoke volumes. I love Dave, but come on mate. It's definitely a huge shame that the number one journalist in this business has such a terrible inability to understand humour and irony. I bet more than half the stuff he reports is told to him in jest, only for him to take it at face value, completely incapable of picking up on the obvious cues. The perfect example is that report that the ref didn't know ahead of time about the finish in Brock vs Taker at Wrestlemania 30. Bollocks. I bet his source was openly laughing when they told him that and he still reported it as fact.

• Paid Members

Meltzer's great when it comes to historical facts. He's the best there is, really. He's got an unreal memory. How he can answer a question about Starrcade 91 or some shit off the top of his head is frightening. When it comes to opinion, I agree with some of the stuff he says, but I'm a child of the WWF cartoon era, so on that front he can go and fuck himself. He's a bit mad. He sits on twitter night and day picking fights to the point I'm genuinely wondering if he's begging for a PCC shirt from the Lads.

I do think he might be past his best when it comes to news, though. You cant hide behind the "plans change stuff" forever. He gets outscooped a lot by Mike Johnson these days, too. Also, how can he as the industry leader deny SEScoops breaking the story in October there will be a new company ran by Tony Khan. He gave a proper PR answer to it. People pay him for news and he blows that off because he mates told him to? That's some major co-opting there.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Silky Kisser said:

John Pollock over at Post Wrestling has been plugging away for years and seems to be doing a great job of it since he and Wai left Fight Network.Ā 

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. He's probably the most reliable and trustworthy news source there is and he's practically liked by everybody.

• Paid Members

Aye, John and Wai made the best choice in separating from those goons entirely. I was so glad when POST Wrestling was revealed asĀ a Pollock and Ting collaboration, and they've gone from strength over the past year. You won't get a better round-up on the news than John's write-ups on the site and their podcasts are still excellent. I became a Patreon as soon as they unveiled the new project after their split from The LAW.Ā 

• Paid Members

Melter makes me laugh when they do a q and a segement on his podcast and he'll spend 10 minutes talking about want some roller derby player did after their retirement, then a question will ask something like "why did Demolition get phased out"? and is met with an audible shrug and "just because".

As for other journalists, Cody St Mark is good.Ā 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Pollock was the only thing good about the LAW. The rest were just Kermit the Frog sounding misery guts.

I got time for Wai too. He's the perfect piece of laid back foil and usually keeps Pollock from going right off in the deep end..

Not hearing Mouth, Agnew and some of the rest of them has been lovely though. Although, I nearly choked when Lovranski popped up on their Christmas show.

Archived