Quitting Social Media

Onyx2

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I shut my FB down a few years back but then reopened it and it's messenger last year because of the skating communities and chats. It's got to the point where I've muted everyone outside of a few close friends and the skating pages. If I could move them over to another platform, I'd bin Facebook in a second.

Twitter I still have, but I'll only ever look at it if I'm rarely watching sports in real time.

Instagram I have a lot of time for, but again, that's just mainly skating stuff where I'm following mostly unknowns.

Basically, if I keep friends and family out of social media, I enjoy it alot more. Which is so fucking arse backwards.

• Paid Members

I've always been quite light on social media, Twitter's the only one I've ever used, never had Facebook or the rest. But I'll have lengthy breaks from it from time to time, I don't really find myself addicted to it. For things such as PigGate and the World Cup though, I think it's a brilliant resource that can keep you entertained for hours.

• Paid Members

I ditched Facebook about 10 years ago. I'd love to say it was because I saw this impending data nonsense, but it was partly because I found myself checking in at a silly rate and I know/knew too many pretentious try hards that social media tends to bring the worst out of (I think it was an infuriatingly pants poem that made me click delete). David is probably right that is depends what you do with it. Twitter, for example, I still use to keep up with news. Gus is right that it's a sea of bile, but I pretty much never interact with anyone on it.

I still have Facebook for work reasons, but I only use it for work.

Instagram is good clean fun.

51 minutes ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

Instagram is hell.

Not for your followers who love seeing the King and Queen of Manhattan!  And while I'm at it, I love seeing bits of New York that you don't see on usual media, such as the shops and signage that you post, really gives a feel for the neighbourhood 

I have a ghost account for Facebook group chats that don't use WhatsApp, but that's about it.

I got rid of it entirely after hooking up with The One as we live in a pretty self contained bubble, and Cork's a small place. Everyone's reaction was to impress on how free and zesty my life must have become, subsequent to deleting my profile. In reality nothing about the minutiae of my daily life changed - which was sort of the idea - save for freeing up all those accumulated minutes spent scrolling. Now I always have a book handy for the bus. On a walk or sitting in the park I'll stare at trees when they're around, instead, since I'm a fried hippy trope. I'm all for bringing awareness to my senses as much as possible when outside the house, so the less time spent on my phone the better. 

As said, social media is absolutely what you make of it. It is a mirror of the world we live in, much like television was seen as in its emergent decades. We didn't collectively manage to get rid of that, either. Me, personally? I could do without it, and I'd rather my kids weren't swayed by it either. That's unlikely to happen, though, because by the time they come along, it'll be even more implanted as a sort of digital collective consciousness. I really think it'll be a real fork in the road in years to come - much more so than it is now - to either be a part of social media or abstain from it. 

Right now I can still check something out if it comes to my attention through the other channels I use to engage my interests. The one thing I find myself doing now is Googling when big artists I like are doing tour dates, because I'm not getting those instant tour posters going up on my feed anymore. Other than that I genuinely don't view it as a big deal. I have my own beliefs about creeping on profiles and shit like that not being the best for the noggin' after a night out, but I don't think I should be the focus of a BBC Three documentary or anything because of my big, brave choice. 

I'm just a sensory, here-and-now dude whose interests and favourite time periods point me to a misguided nostalgia for a time we didn't have social media. And looking at phones is crap for my eyes and gives me a big, manky headache. 

• Paid Members

I wouldn’t say Instagram is actually hell, it’s more like the weird influenzas and businesses giving me a follow, and then unfollowing the next day. Just exhausting.

glad you like the pics - obviously, rei y reina are very photogenic, and although I’m a dire photographer, I love getting down some downtown side streets to get misspelled LED signs and vaguely threatening products. The wife even bought me a fan that i can program with my own misspelled greetings and products.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I imagine one day when the kids are grown and my girlfriend has left me I'll stroll off in to the woods forever and become entirely content.

I keep telling my wife that in 20 years I want to bugger off to live in the woods. She politely reminds me that I could do it now, and pop back “now & again”.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I keep telling my wife that in 20 years I want to bugger off to live in the woods. She politely reminds me that I could do it now, and pop back “now & again”.

In some weird juxtaposition, YouTube has something right up your street. 

Thoroughly recommend this guys channel. Beautiful, Canadian woodland scenery. Quality cabin/outdoor kitchen  building footage, amazing dog and seems a tidy bloke to boot. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

I wouldn’t say Instagram is actually hell, it’s more like the weird influenzas and businesses giving me a follow, and then unfollowing the next day. Just exhausting.

glad you like the pics - obviously, rei y reina are very photogenic, and although I’m a dire photographer, I love getting down some downtown side streets to get misspelled LED signs and vaguely threatening products. The wife even bought me a fan that i can program with my own misspelled greetings and products.

¿Que? What Instagram account is this that you speak off? I love me some pics of NYC. 

• Paid Members

I have sad news for any of you who think you’ve deleted your accounts.

I was looking for an old photo several months ago.  Looked high and low before remembering that I had definitely posted it to my pre-breakdown Facebook account.

In a desperate attempt to retrieve it, I entered my log in details - not sure what I expected, I’d deleted it after all, but it certainly wasn’t my full account there ready and waiting for me including every image and post I’d ever made dating back to 2006 or so.

You’ve deleted fuck all lads.  I promise.  😞

Archived