Jump to content

Quitting Social Media


Onyx2

Recommended Posts

Social media is what you make of it really. People who complain about seeing too many racist/stupid/food-related posts on their feed obviously have complete twats as "friends."

It's very easy to curate your feed and ensure you're only seeing stuff that's of value to you. I basically went through my friends list and deleted people I gave not a fuck about, and muted those who I didn't want to hear from on a daily basis.

Same with pages I followed and groups I was in. Now my feed is a lot less busy, and essentially consists of updates related to football, MMA, retro video games and updates from family and friends that I want to follow.

Another advantage to really drilling down into your feed is that with less updates appearing it gives me less reason to check the app every half hour or so. I check it in the morning with my coffee, and again in the evening with a cup of tea after dinner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

EverythingÔĽŅ talks to everything, this shouldn't be news to anyone. Not sure if I told him ever but aaaaages ago my Yahoo mail clientÔĽŅ offered me Houchen as a possible email recipient even ÔĽŅthough he's never given me his email address and our only connections are on here and on Twitter - and my Twitter account is not ÔĽŅlinked to my Yahoo email address. Think about thatÔĽŅ.ÔĽŅ

This is from an explicit instruction though. At some point someone Keith knows clicked on "why not import your contacts, find your friends!" 

And the same happened to you too. The ML has figured out the connection. 

I'm not saying this is absolutely fine, but that action is user-(mis)led. The stuff in the link are apps straight up sending data to Facebook, unwittingly by some of them, because they've used elements of the Facebook SDK. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me, it was a personal choice to declutter my head space and refocus my attention to other areas. My mental health has definitely improved and I do feel like I have better prioritised my time and energy on more important things/people. This was without even noticing it was having an effect in the first place but other people I know who have cut out socials have similar stories. I don't miss it and anything noteworthy in can usually get from this place or other sources.

For a long time I had no means of contact other than WhatsApp and that was pretty sweet but I had to get a fully contactable means of comms for my kids sake and plus that sweet sweet data usage.

I imagine one day when the kids are grown and my girlfriend has left me I'll stroll off in to the woods forever and become entirely content.

Edited by Mr_Danger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

@BomberPatMy experience with Twitter started off much the same as Rick's in a positive manner. In its relative infancy it was a fantastic way to connect with fellow football fans, and at the time it also lead to a few writing opportunities, which was my main aspirational career focus at the time.

Yeah, I forgot that bit. I had a gig writing for the Metro, contributed to the Observer and the Guardian and various radio shows. Also had an offer to write for the Sun but turned that down. I've turned down a load of TV too, particularly in the Setanta/ESPN days, because of my hang ups about my weight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Facebook is rapidly becoming an old person's graveyard.  Most people under the age of 25 don't use it.  Under 18s definitely don't, and never will.  Social media for the young is all Instagram and Snapchat, and about sharing pics and getting likes, not about discourse.  It's actually much much worse.

I'd love to remove myself from Facebook, I will try and do that this year in fact. Twitter I don't use as it looks like a huge rage machine.  LinkedIn I use but purely for Professional purposes and I don't chat or socialise on there.

The one thing I have started using in WhatsApp.  A good tool for communicating with friends and family without all the public facing bullshit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Yeah, I forgot that bit. I had a gig writing for the Metro, contributed to the Observer and the Guardian and various radio shows. Also had an offer to write for the Sun but turned that down. I've turned down a load of TV too, particularly in the Setanta/ESPN days, because of my hang ups about my weight.

Yeah alright TigerVonD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

This is from an explicit instruction though. At some point someone Keith knows clicked on "why not import your contacts, find your friends!" 

And the same happened to you too. The ML has figured out the connection. 

I'm not saying this is absolutely fine, but that action is user-(mis)led. The stuff in the link are apps straight up sending data to Facebook, unwittingly by some of them, because they've used elements of the Facebook SDK. 

I thought I didn't even have a yahoo email, but my email from my broadband provider is powered by yahoo so that's why I'm yahoo connected.  (Top tip - using an email account that's tied to your broadband server helps your credit score more than a free account like hotmail as it shows you're contracted to an address and less likely to do a runner)

I love Twitter, the beauty of it and how I describe it to people is YOU are the editor of a newspaper or a magazine so YOU decide what the context is.  My pet hate of Twitter is quote tweeting to reply when arguing or debating as it is encouraging pile ons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

I tried to quit Facebook a while ago, but its usefulness for resources for work outweighed the irritation I found with it - I have curated my friends list a little bit more so avoid some of the bollocks. 

 

I also compromised by hiding notifications, so then I can choose when I interact with the site. I won't ever stop using Twitter, though - I have some great people that I follow and I enjoy interacting with. 

Edited by Nexus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

I had it described once as "Facebook is where you're connected to people you know in real life and wish you didn't, Twitter is where you're connected to people you don't know in real life and wish you did." It rings truer for me with each passing year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Loki said:

Most people under the age of 25 don't use it.  Under 18s definitely don't, and never will.

Which is exactly why I use it, to be fair. The less photos I see of people with fucking bunny ears superimposed onto their heads, or of people making duck faces, the better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Loki said:

Facebook is rapidly becoming an old person's graveyard.  Most people under the age of 25 don't use it.  Under 18s definitely don't, and never will.  Social media for the young is all Instagram and Snapchat, and about sharing pics and getting likes, not about discourse.  It's actually much much worse.

That's very true. I can kind of understand why too, as why would teenagers want to join a service that's used by their parents or even grandparents? Personally I think Snapchat is pretty shite though.

I need Facebook to stay in touch with contacts due to my work, but a lot of the feed is taken up by old people who don't realise that sharing everything they find remotely interesting every 10 mins isn't really acceptable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

Which is exactly why I use it, to be fair. The less photos I see of people with fucking bunny ears superimposed onto their heads, or of people making duck faces, the better.

That logic doesn't work. It's just full of 35 year olds who think the filters make them look 25.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Astro Hollywood said something about Facebook years back as to why it was the most successful of social media, it was something along the lines of how loads of people have a Myspace or a Bebo, but they have Facebook and so do their parents.  Perhaps it's seen as the old persons social media now but as David said, that suits older people.

The only reason I have a Facebook account is because my girlfriend has problems with her memory and loves seeing the "On this day" stuff that we did as she has often forgot all about it, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

The only reason I have a Facebook account is because my girlfriend has problems with her memory and loves seeing the "On this day" stuff that we did as she has often forgot all about it, 

Tell her to ask Mab what you were up to!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...