2019 Daisy-Pushing Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Rene Auberjonois who was, amongst others, Constable Odo in DS9 has passed away at 79.

Really sad news. I knew him first from DS9 too but he was a really excellent and prolific character actor throughout the 60s and 70s too.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Caroll Spinney Has died AKA Big Bird https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50705508

This one is gutting for me. I did a lot of work on research of Sesame Street during my dissertation into educational television and just the impact that the character had on generations of people was so cool to see and read about. He's probably part of one of the most important episode arcs ever during the death of Mr Hooper, when they explained death to pre schoolers in what was really a first for TV like that at the time.

There's a really sweet YouTube clip of him as Big Bird singing at Jim Henson's funeral, which is incredibly touching. Even though Spinney didn't create the character, his work as Bird is probably the most important Sesame Street has done as it always was educational and pure, it wasn't ever made to look overly childish or dumbed down.

17 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Rene Auberjonois who was, amongst others, Constable Odo in DS9 has passed away at 79.

Sort of related, Marina Sirtis’s husband has died  he was in an episode of next gen 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, Shy Dad said:

This one is gutting for me. I did a lot of work on research of Sesame Street during my dissertation into educational television and just the impact that the character had on generations of people was so cool to see and read about. He's probably part of one of the most important episode arcs ever during the death of Mr Hooper, when they explained death to pre schoolers in what was really a first for TV like that at the time.

There's a really sweet YouTube clip of him as Big Bird singing at Jim Henson's funeral, which is incredibly touching. Even though Spinney didn't create the character, his work as Bird is probably the most important Sesame Street has done as it always was educational and pure, it wasn't ever made to look overly childish or dumbed down.

I was at SeaWorld a couple of weeks ago and we spent more time in Sesame Street land than looking at animals. This was also totally for my and my wife's benefit having grown up with Sesame Street, our kids couldn't have cared less. We spent ages in there, taking all the details in, watching the parade and posing with characters and infront of street signs. The thing that really got me was the sight of Big Bird. Yes, it's just a bloke in a costume but floods of childhood emotion and memories washed over me, it was bizarre, I was so giddy. Spinney was such a massive part of bringing that character to life.

• Paid Members

I spent a day with him years ago doing PR events. He was as eccentric as you'd hope, bounding around, telling me stories about punching people during a protest at a wind farm. He must have been in his mid 70s at that point. What a guy! 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, The British Bushwacker said:

The only thing i ever associate David Bellamy with is "Domestos, multi surface cleaner" adverts

"HASTA LA VISTA, MIWDEW"