2019 Daisy-Pushing Thread

Gus Mears

• Awards Moderator

Properly gutted about Gary Rhodes. He looks like a relic now, but in the very early 90s he was doing the unthinkable: presenting proper high end dining to the dirty masses in an approachable way. People were used to Floyd, essentially doing a travel programme and occasionally throwing things into a frying pan but it wasn't a tutorial; or Delia talking down to you about basic everyday stuff. And then Gary says "no, aim higher. It takes more time and ingredients but it is achievable." He definitely paved the way for Ja*** Oli*** by getting the public down a level in what you can do in a domestic kitchen.

Two of his books, Cookery Year and Modern British Classics, are mainstays on my shelf. Always good advice, and always interesting. It's a shame he retired from TV about ten years ago, his voice was much-missed. I think he'd be more successful now in a post-Blumenthal telly landscape.

Wasn't there a lot of criticism towards him for essentially taking a classic recipe, adding one or two ingredients, and calling it his own creation?  Whenever I hear his name I'm reminded of a post from years back where @Guy Bifkin eviscerated him for ruining Masterchef.  He pined for the warm days of Loyd Grossman taking a peek in each kitchen for an encouraging chat, before retiring to a log fire to talk to someone like Jeremy Irons about Wordsworth.  Then they'd both taste the food and give nothing but praise.  Rhodes came on board and walked around sneering like a frustrated Home Ec teacher.

Personally, I liked him as I'm from the Floyd side of things, but I can see how he annoyed people.

Whenever I hear someone mention Gary Rhodes, I always think of the Vic & Bob joke from Shooting Stars which was something like:

”We all know Gary Rhodes, but how many other Rhodes can you name in 30 seconds?”

After failing to name any, they’re told acceptable answers would have been the M1, A4233, A38 into spaghetti junction and the Greek Island of. 

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wasn't there a lot of criticism towards him for essentially taking a classic recipe, adding one or two ingredients, and calling it his own creation?  Whenever I hear his name I'm reminded of a post from years back where @Guy Bifkin eviscerated him for ruining Masterchef.  He pined for the warm days of Loyd Grossman taking a peek in each kitchen for an encouraging chat, before retiring to a log fire to talk to someone like Jeremy Irons about Wordsworth.  Then they'd both taste the food and give nothing but praise.  Rhodes came on board and walked around sneering like a frustrated Home Ec teacher.

Personally, I liked him as I'm from the Floyd side of things, but I can see how he annoyed people.

I think my ire was more focused on Torode and the other geezer but yeah, that show was never same after the Grossman. I think I made that post on MySpace which will tell you how old it was and the chances of ever finding it again. 

• Paid Members

Clive James, aged 80.

I recently picked up his latest book on Larkin, but have been putting it to the back of the to-read list, because I'll be in Hull over Christmas, and it felt more thematically appropriate to read it either there, or on the train up. So it goes.

• 2 weeks later...