2019 Daisy-Pushing Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Ginger Baker was superb.

There's a joke an old editor I worked for used to tell; "What have instant coffee and Ginger Baker got in common? They both suck without Cream".

I like it, but it's absolutely untrue. Some of his work collaborating with Afrobeat musicians is, for my money, light years ahead of what he did with Cream, and arguably more influential within its sphere.

I had the opportunity to meet him once, at a screening of Beware of Mr Baker. I had to turn it down, as I had promised to meet a friend that night, who's also now no longer with us. So sadly I can't reflect on how funny or surprisingly down to earth he was.

Anyway, here's some superb non-Cream Baker performances;

• Paid Members

Yeah, he collaborated a fair bit with Fela Kuti and Tony Allen - apparently knew Kuti from back in their London jazz scene days, and he ended up moving to Lagos in the '70s because of how deeply he got into the burgeoning Afrobeat scene. He plays on a couple of Fela Kuti records, and Fela plays on one of Baker's solo albums. 

I don't think Afrobeat would have caught on in the UK when it did, without Baker's involvement. 

• Paid Members

A friend of my dad, who is sadly no longer with us, was a roadie for some top acts, including Cream way back.  Said that Ginger was as nice with the backstage guys as he was a complete cunt with the "suits" as he called them.  Generous, funny and a complete gent with him and the other guys.

Rip Taylor cracked me up.  Remember seeing him in stuff in the 70's and 80's and finding him very different in a good way from the usual US comics.

Don't know if it's when you're my age, but he was one of those who played a dad, and usually excellent.  Adrian Mole, Kevin The Teenager, The Queens Nose.  And of course, the colliery boss in the oft overlooked Brassed Off.  There was a warm, comforting familiarity whenever he was on screen.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I have to admit to having had inexplicable Mandela Syndrome as regards Gary Rhodes - for some reason I had it in my head he'd passed away a few years ago from a heart attack. God knows where I got that from. 59's no age.

RIP.