Devon Malcolm

15 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That looks pretty cool but it says it’s not open to the public?

Pretty sure it just came up today but assume tomorrow being a Saturday it should be open. I’ll only have to walk a few minutes out of my way to have a look. 

1 minute ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Pretty sure it just came up today but assume tomorrow being a Saturday it should be open. I’ll only have to walk a few minutes out of my way to have a look. 

“The store isn’t actually open to the general public” is what the article says.

If it is open, take a couple of pics, as it looks awesome.

• Paid Members
On 1/2/2019 at 9:34 AM, SuperBacon said:

Hang The DJ is the best episode they’ve done 

Hang the DJ and Black Museum are the best ones from the last series I thought.

Overall, my favourites include White Christmas, The Entire History of You & Shut Up and Dance.

The best however is San Junipero. I've beat this drum to death but it's such a lovely hour of television. I welled up at the end.

The million credits one was a bit shit but The Waldo Moment, with that numpty from the BT advert, is easily the worst.

5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

“The store isn’t actually open to the general public” is what the article says.

Yeah but Our Max isn't the general public, he's a social media influencer and better than the likes of you and I.

Black Mirror is ace for the most part. When they get it right, they can provide some of the most gripping and engaging television I've seen in ages. Didn't like Bandersnatch though. I get what they were trying to do, but the general story was a bit dull, and I disliked the continual opportunities to go back whenever they dictated that you'd made the wrong call. Can't understand anyone trying to herald it as an all-time great episode.

I'm midway through the third season at the moment. Current favourites are similar to most. White Christmas, White Bear and Shut up and Dance would be on my top five list, as would Fifteen Million Merits and Be Right Back. They've had a few shit ones though. Nosedive, Playtest and Waldo were all really poor.

I think I watched the first series, but the relentless moralising wore me down in the end.  I always expected Brooker to pop up at the end of each episode and shout "makes you think, huh?" whilst tapping his temple.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Loki said:

I think I watched the first series, but the relentless moralising wore me down in the end.  I always expected Brooker to pop up at the end of each episode and shout "makes you think, huh?" whilst tapping his temple.

Same here. It's TV's answer to Banksy.

• Paid Members

I stopped watching Black Mirror after Season 2, the existential dread just got to much for me, and I don't need constant bleakness on my Telly these days. Some of the early episodes really fucked with my brain (Fifteen Million Merits especially.)

However, I did play Bandersnatch, and I say play rather than watch, because really it just felt like a game. I was more impressed with how it was implemented so smoothly rather than with the plot or any subtext in it.

I'd argue Inside Number 9 does the dark anthology mini-series with a cunning twist far better than Black Mirror ever has. The sheer quality Shearsmith and Pemberton pump out in each series is frankly staggering. I don't know how they do it so consistently.

• Paid Members

I started watching these over the last couple of days. I enjoyed the first series despite the heavy-handedness. They felt like some passably entertaining stories with some good performances to keep them ticking along. I've started the second series today though and been much less enthused. I've just finished "White Bear", and oh boy was a piece of shit that was. It's so unbelievably derivative and the the nastiness isn't justified by the cack-handed point it's trying to make. Not sure I can be arsed with the rest. 

It's probably unfair to compare the series to the other recent anthology series, but even so, given how Inside No 9 was marketed as a throwback to the old days of Tales of the Unexpected, it's ironic that that series is a million times more original and thought provoking than Black Mirror, which is the one concerned with modern times/the future.

EDIT: Genuinely didn't see your post up there Chilly, you've made the same point I did!

Edited by gmoney

19 minutes ago, Chilly McFreeze said:

I'd argue Inside Number 9 does the dark anthology mini-series with a cunning twist far better than Black Mirror ever has. The sheer quality Shearsmith and Pemberton pump out in each series is frankly staggering. I don't know how they do it so consistently.

Have you watched Atlanta? I'd say it's in the same territory at times and also does it far better.

On 1/5/2019 at 5:31 PM, Loki said:

Yeah I can only assume being made to think must be extremely tiring for someone like yourself 

24 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Live example for next time you ask why people consider him a failed comedian,  @Devon Malcolm 🙄

Did the shop open, @UK Kat Von D? Did you get to go in? Were they actually selling anything?

Nah was just a display, loads of stuff in there I’d actually wanna buy though. Posters and novelty VHS etc