How was 2018 for you?

garynysmon

• Paid Members

2018's not been that great for me so hoping for a better new year tbh.

Lost my grandmother quite suddenly during the turn of the year, (well as suddenly as can be expected for a 89 year old.) But we were very close as we grew up half a mile away and probably spent as much time in my grandparents' house as I did my own. 

Then a few months later, my girlfriend and I suffered a miscarriage for what would have been our first child. I don't feel people talk about these things enough and its taken us about 6 months to really tell people about it, but I'm sure it can't be that uncommon.

Thankfully there have been some positives in getting our first house up and running, despite it being the most stressful thing ever (I am genuinely never moving house after this.) 

I also started a new job which I really enjoy, so here's hoping!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit meh really. One of the pipes burst in the bathroom earlier this year causing water to piss everywhere out the ceiling. When it got sorted it transpired there was traces of asbestos in the ceiling too. So spend the best part of 10 weeks living with the in-laws (who are lovely but still). Also had an ear infection which nearly caused my ear drum to burst (apparently) at this sane time. We had a car accident on our family holiday back in June which wasn't awful but we were kept waiting for 12hrs plus by recovery.

In positive news, I got married to my good lady, had some fun times with friends and family, I'm in a job I enjoy, we had some cracking sunshine and my daughter got potty trained in no time. I'm hoping the next year is better and slightly less stressful but I'm grateful and appreciative of what I have. 

• Paid Members

On the good side, I lost some weight and we bought a new house. On the negative side, I lost two uncles within weeks which shattered my Mum and we've had a stream of illnesses in the house for months including my missus struggling with mental health again recently. Feel like I'm constantly trying to find strength I don't have.

Certainly a year I'll remember although not fondly. On a more trivial note, the World Cup was ace.

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear about your struggles this year @garynysmon. We went through two miscarriages in 2017, both at 12 weeks, which was a horrendous experience for me and my wife, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. You are absolutely right about it not being spoken enough about, but it's such a personal, private subject that I guess lots of people struggle to discuss it and many feel uncomfortable bringing it up. I know my wife found great comfort from counseling, which really helped her.

Here's hoping for a happier 2019 for you and your family. It certainly sounds like you have lots of positives on the table for the new year.

For me, after the aforementioned shitty 2017, this year was mostly great. We had our first child in June and although it's been challenging I wouldn't trade it for the world. Seeing my daughter everyday is the best part of my day. She's always smiling and giggling, just a very chipper baby.

It's not all been great. A good friend of ours lost his brother to suicide early in the year, which was very sad. I got to know him quite well and it hit us all quite hard as a group, given he was the sort who lit up a room when he walked in. However, he had an incredibly difficult time with his mental health for years and it's at least a relief to know he is no longer suffering, as small a consolation as that is. He is sorely missed by all who knew him. 

I also lost my job in August, only 6 weeks after our daughter was born which wasn't ideal. It wasn't a huge surprise as the position wasn't the right fit for me and I wasn't the right person for the job, and they gave me a decent pay off to go, but it still sucked. I felt like a massive failure. However, it eventually led to me getting a better job that means I can do childcare for my daughter two days a week when my wife goes back to work, so that's actually probably worked out for the best in the end.

All in all a pretty good year, with some major low points and one life-changing amazing high point. It was definitely a major improvement on 2017.

• Paid Members

At home my family have had various health issues, particularly my Dad, which have obviously not been very nice to deal with. Car got written off right before my birthday/Christmas, which wasn't ideal in terms of getting around, not to mention cost. Our place in London is really poorly maintained by the landlords and after five years of living there we're absolutely desperate to get out because it's really falling apart.

But on the plus side things with the other half have never been better, she landed a permanent position at a great company and we've been able to save up some cash for the first time in an age, so we can now actually start making serious plans for the future. Also, work was fantastic - got to work on some brilliant sporting events and travel to some absolutely fantastic places like like Brisbane, Berlin, Paris, Bilbao, even Scarborough and Slough. Even my Dad's health hasn't been quite as bad as we expected over Christmas. 

As optimistic as I am about 2019, in a funny way I'm even more optimistic about 2020. My dream is to get to cover the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo which would be amazing - and then the more 'grown up' stuff as I alluded to with Mrs Facesitter can then seriously start to take shape (without saying too much, in the unlikely way she ever reads the site!). 

• Paid Members

First couple of months were frustrating. In that time (and the second half of 2017), we'd put offers in on houses but kept getting outbidded. Finally in March we had an offer accepted on a house we loved and all of our dreams came true. Over the moon. The next few months were a ballache dealing with surveyors, the bank and estate agents. Fuck doing that again anytime soon. Got our keys on June 22nd. Happiest day of our lives.

In early July, we hopped on a plane to Spain with my girlfriends family for a week and had a great old time. July 12th, I got home from work and was told my little brother's body had been found in his flat the night before. He'd hung himself. He'd only turned 26 a few weeks beforehand. Can't really look back at the holiday or getting our house keys with any fondness as I'll always associate it with my brothers suicide. 

Been in an absolute daze since July tbh. Worst year of my life, and I never thought I'd say that about the same year in which we bought a house. 

Dogshit. On a positive note, 2019 can only be better, can't it?

I really fucking miss you Rob.

Worst year of my life, probably. Certainly one of the worst.

Flatmate left me in the lurch in January, so I spent six months paying all of the rent and council tax and bills myself and getting further into debt until I had to move into my mother’s house for a couple of months in the summer. I’m now living in a shared house with frequent appearances from rodents.

In late 2016/early 2017, I started a friendship with a colleague that got me through some dark times. That escalated into a romantic relationship, but she was engaged. In 2018, it just became even more of a mess. She’s now married and we’re not even friends.

Work was awful at times. Some of my best pals left, and the upper management in the office grew more idiotic and killed morale amongst all teams. I applied for some new jobs elsewhere, got one of them, but ultimately stayed when current place matched the wage and promoted me (and then gave me another raise). It was better for a bit, but now shit again and I probably need to leave before the girl in the previous paragraph gets pregnant, but I don’t think I’ll get anywhere else paying me what I’m on now. 

I’ve done very little writing and filmmaking. 

Had a best first date ever while on a training course in London, but it never resulted in a second.

I’ve been on antidepressants for five weeks now and they’re still not working.

But it’s not been all bad. Some of my good friends have kept me going, and I’ve made at least one new best mate that will turn into either devastating unrequited love or another doomed affair. I’ve been to America twice. I liked Deadpool 2 and Overlord. There was some good stuff on Netflix this year as well. I enjoyed playing Red Dead Redemption 2.

2019, it might turn around.

2018 has been pretty decent, all in all. No-one I care about died, my kids and wife are happy and healthy and in the space of one glorious week in November, I graduated from my Masters degree, got approved for a mortgage and bought a ticket for Mania next year.

2019 might be more stressful what with trying to buy a house and all, but reading what others on here have been through this year, I know life could have been a lot worse.

This year has been the worst year of my life. Got used and completely demolished mentally by my friend and his company. Had the worst mental health breakdown of my life and nearly ended my life 4 times and got sectioned. In the last 4 months though I've rebuilt my life started my own company Hang tight promotions, got a all dayer charity festival next June. 

Im managing a incredible acoustic singer songwriter who was previously signed to polydor records and worked one on one with Simon cowell. The new year looks so promising for my career.

Then we have just had confirmed from the doctor today we are expecting our second child next year.

Here's to 2019

• Paid Members

Shit sandwich. Started with Wrestle Kingdom, renewed zeal and optimism and a date that led into a relationship .... that went too fast and got me dumped (not so much heartbroken as shocked) by Easter. Started going to the gym properly in June and swapped fat for muscle and started running, picked up my game at work massively adding about £6k extra commission to my earnings for the last two quarters then through a bizarre set of circumstances moved in with one of the beautiful Polish girls from work and accidentally fell for her, and have been dating for a month.

So I'll end the year as I came into it... stupid happy and blindly optimistic that it's actually going my way for a change. There were lows but between Tokyo, Spurs games, slowly grafting into decent shape, becoming better at my job and getting a little lady, the highs have been among my highest.

Been blighted with bad health.  Had a tumour in my armpit which turned out to be benign but whilst exploring that, they found I had Tuberculosis.  Been on meds for most of the year and had bright orange piss so that was a plus.  I've been sober for over 400 days and now  my only joy now is knowing I'm even closer to the sweet embrace of death.

• Paid Members

2018 was up and down for me but our son was born in July, 2 days before my birthday and on the very day England went out of the World Cup. So whatever else happened, it was year my boy was born so it was a good one.

I was going to have a bit of a moan about a couple of things but I’ll not bother. Reading some of your posts there makes the little problems I had this year seem really trivial in comparison. Really sorry to hear about the miscarriage @garynysmon I’ve been there mate. All the best to you and your girlfriend. And @Wretch I can’t even imagine the year you’ve had. Fucking heartbreaking. Hope 2019 is better for you both, it’s got to be hasn’t it? 

• Paid Members

It was boring & busy. I moved in with my mom to help her out, which meant lots of packing and unpacking and doing up the top room for me, which went surprisingly well considering I'd never plastered or papered before.

Then started on organising all my dad's things while sorting out my mom's room, decorating the dining room and organising the lounge and kitchen so it's all clear and clutter free and everything is easy to find without bending or stretching too much. 

Trouble is I've now got a spare room and car-hole still to sort which has been a bit of a dumping ground for some bits still to do. 

Work was awful, better than last year but still boring as I just had to sit around and wait for an opportunity to try and get involved in something. I did start interviewing elsewhere over the summer on their recommendation I leave, which they then seemed surprised by when I was taking a half day for interviews which was most amusing. 

The doctor told me my liver was struggling at the start of the year, "the results I'd expected to see with a tramp" were his exact words. As I was expecting worse I celebrated on my way home with a couple of pints of Guinness at the pub / Indian takeaway hybrid down the street while I waited for my dinner. During which I decided to put effort in to cut back on the drinking a bit as it was getting out of hand in an unhealthy pattern. I was supposed to go back for a follow up at the end of the year but he's forgot. They wanted me in some diabetic group too, for reasons they couldn't make clear as I'm not diabetic, but they've forgot about that too. 

Despite one shakey spell I've been quite well in the ways I'm normally having to keep an eye on, which is good too. I attribute it to giving up on hopes and aspirations. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I've been sober for over 400 days and now  my only joy now is knowing I'm even closer to the sweet embrace of death.

Or the Ricoh Arena as its now called.

Just joking, of course, mate. It hurts my heart that so many people on this forum are going through it. I cant tell you how many good people are on here. Its been fucking awful this year for me personally, but I dont want to go into detail at this hour because it'll depress the fuck out of me. At times this forum is like rubbing together a pair of tension balls or something, because its a comfortable place. Even though its just words on a screen, it feels like some friendly faces on here. Always good to talk to and have a laugh. My contribution isnt what it was on the UKFF, and that's genuinely down to me prefering to read both on and off topic more than post most of the time. So thanks to everyone who has helped me or someone else on here. If there was a lovely lads competition most of you would win it at least once.

P.S.

@Thunderplex

Screen-Shot-2018-09-14-at-9.56.45-AM1.pn

Archived