The 2019 Predictions Thread

Supremo

• Paid Members

16B50DBD-07F6-43C1-AD83-380064DDB952.jpeg.4dd519df5379aa464b087a1fd403a8d7.jpeg

2018 was a funny old year in pro-wrestling, wasn't it?

Shawn Michaels returned and participated in what many have nominated for worst match of the year.  

Stephanie McMahon participated in what many are calling the best match of the year.  

Kurt Angle main evented an episode of Raw to near silence.

Dave Meltzer gave out five star ratings like he wasn't long for this world.

The lad who was an alternative for the Cruiserweight Classic pinned the WWE Champion clean.

Nikki Bella main evented a Pay Per View.

Both Royal Rumble winners were Japanese.

Stardust and Generation Me managed to sell out a 10,000 seat arena and look set to start their own promotion, all off the back of a daft YouTube show.

Former UFC fighter Ronda Rousey became a full-time wrestler and had arguably the greatest debut year of all time.

Beloved hero Daniel Bryan came back from his career-ending injury and yet ended the year as a despised, vicious heel.

Brock Lesnar is still Universal Champion, despite shooting an angle in the UFC to set up a Heavyweight Championship fight next year. 

Nakamura and AJ Styles feuded for months and it was mostly dreadful.

Becky Lynch went from never on TV, to the hottest act in the company, ear-marked for the Wrestlemania main event. 

Dynamite Kid paid his final Sky bill.

TNA managed to stay alive long enough to have some good pay per views, but ended the year somehow managing to find an even worse channel to move to on U.S TV.

El Ligero's contract situation was a lead story in The Observer.

Chris Jericho sold out a Wrestling Cruise.

A ten year old was one half of the Raw tag team champions and his reign wasn't even close to the worst of the year.

Raw ended the year with an on-air apology about how bad the product had been.

So, with all that said, I thought it'd be fun to do a pro-wrestling predictions thread for 2019!

Crack open your crystal balls and let us know what you think will happen in the upcoming twelve months.

Make your predictions as wild or as obvious as you want. I'll hopefully remember to look back at this thread after Christmas next year and judge who was either the most accurate or had the wildest prediction come true. Might even rustle up a little trophy or something and make it a tradition. 

So let's have it.

Will we see TNA finally die? 

Will Vince make it to Christmas? 

What does the future hold for AEW?

Can Big Show get any more immobile? 

Does John Cena have a clear path to Wrestlemania?

Who wins the Rumble? Is it Bossman's year?

Who main events Wrestlemania?

Does the Universal Champion have a UFC fight? Do they show the Universal Belt on UFC PPV?

Who makes a big return? 

Who has match of the year?

Who does Nia Jax injure next?

Who gets called up from NXT? Who makes it and who fails spectacularly?

Go!

Lovely choice of thread....

My predictions:

- WWE continues to be a cesspit until Vince retires

- 2019 is the year of AEW. I think they will pull it off if the rumoured financial backing is there.

- Impact will die, I fear.

- Matt Taven will be ROH champ, in what will be a year of renewal for them

- Kenny Omega will explode onto the US scene through continued work with NJPW, but mainly AEW.

- Gallows and Anderson become the first talent to jump to AEW from WWE

- Nakamura returns to NJPW

- Jay White will win the IWGP Heavyweight title

- Being The Elite will continue to be the best wrestling programme on Monday night

- The industry will be in a stronger position at the end of 2019 than at the beginning of it.

1. Dean Ambrose will ask for his release. 

2. Undertaker will retire (hopefully)

3. AEW will be sensational for 6 months then die a death (I hope not)

4. Everyone that jumped ship will be very upset.

5. Tanahashi will begin his retirement run. 

6. Jeff Cobb will debut in WWE.

Velveteen Dream steals Truths' No.30 spot in the Rumble via backstage attack. Well somebody's going to. That or if the women's one goes on first Truth tries to enter that one through his own idiocy thus giving up his spot in the mens freeing it up for *somebody*.

I'd really like to see Goldberg again.

Lucha Underground gets 5th Season.

MLW continues to grow. Probably announces regular live TV shows.

WWE finally has a talent cull.

One of the free agents goes to WWE abandoning the prospect of AEW altogether. 

If AEW does launch to great fanfare Dolph Ziggler jumps ship and bombs massively.

Dustin Rhodes challenges for NWA title.

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Will we see TNA finally die? 

No. Long after the ice caps have melted and the Impact Zone has sunk beneath the rising sea levels, in the desert wasteland that was once the continent of North America, they’ll still somehow be putting on shows.

Will Vince make it to Christmas? 

Yes. When (if) he finally goes we won’t know about it for months afterwards.

What does the future hold for AEW?

I’ll go opposite to everyone else’s and say despite all their vocal goodwill it never gets off the ground but MPDTT does not lose faith.

Can Big Show get any more immobile? 

Yes. When (if) they finally give Braun the title, Show’s his first feud because Kane’s busy.

Does John Cena have a clear path to Wrestlemania?

It’s early days but there’s several tantalising options for him at the moment. If he fancies a win, Samoa Joe. If he fancies putting someone over, McIntyre. If he fancies disappointment, Undertaker rematch.

Who wins the Rumble? Is it Bossman's year?

I’ll go Rollins. 

Who main events Wrestlemania?

I’d love Becky and Ronda to do it but I’ve a funny feeling they’ll make it Charlotte and Ronda, and put Becky with Asuka for the Smackers belt. It could very well be a female main event though. That way the crowd might actually care!

Does the Universal Champion have a UFC fight? Do they show the Universal Belt on UFC PPV?

The Universal Title’s meaningless so fuck, I say have him DEFEND it on UFC PPV. Would love to see what happened if he lost it!

Who makes a big return? 

Bray Wyatt. People will care just long enough before everyone realises they haven’t done a thing to change up his character or gimmick.

Who has match of the year?

Keith Lee. He’s gonna see the apathy on the UKFF towards him and be driven to prove us wrong.

Nah, it’s gonna be some New Japan lads. Ibushi, Omega, Tanahashi, Okada, take your pick.

Who does Nia Jax injure next?

Bayley. Just at the point where she and Sasha Banks are FINALLY about to turn on each other. Thereby delaying their feud another year.

Who gets called up from NXT? Who makes it and who fails spectacularly?

Other than the ones already announced, I think we’ll get Black around Rumble time, and Undisputed Era shortly afterwards. Gargano, Ciampa and Baszler the night after Mania.

Black will be fine if he’s on SmackDown. Era will be surprisingly fine. Ciampa will be fine if they let him talk. Shayna Will feud with Rousey. Gargano’s heading to 205.

• Paid Members

What a fucking brilliant summary @Supremo 

Right, I’m going to take my time with this and edit accordingly over the next few days. 

For starters, complete silly bollocks wildcard shout:

- We’re due a big WWE scandal. Their invincibility shield will take critical damage and something big will be unearthed. It won’t be brushed under the carpet and Vince will try and turn it in to a storyline, unless he goes to prison. 

- Velveteen Dream will be called up and he will become a world champion before the end of 2019.

- Hulk Hogan will have an official wrestling match. It’ll probably involve him teaming with New Day.

- Reigns will end the year as a world title holder.

Charlotte Vs Ronda will main event Wrestlemania.

WWE will completely bungle Becky Lynch.

Linda McMahon will resign from the Trump administration.

Shinsuke Nakamura will leave WWE.

Shayna Baszler will drop the NXT Women's Title to Io Shirai before heading to the main roster.

Io Shirai and Kairi Sane will feud over the NXT Women's Title. With one of them (probably Kairi) turning heel following the first match between them or shortly after.

AEW will go nowhere or fall apart quickly.

New Japan will struggle to make any serious long term impact in the US. And will probably start scaling back their international expansion by the end of the year.

Stardom with lose more talent, either to the WWE or with some going freelance. Attendances for Stardom shows will decline.

Chris Jericho will return to the WWE for a short time.

CM Punk will be grumpy.

WWE will announce more women's PPV's to coincide with their Saudi shows. And seriously expect a pat on the back.

Hulk Hogan will say something stupid.

AEW will have one show and that'll be it.

Balor will have another short main event push. Probably kick started by winning the rumble.

Chad Gable will leave for the indies/Japan.

Black will win the US/IC title at least once by the end of the year.

Nerds on reddit will moan about how Gargano is being buried on the main roster (or 205 Live).

NXT will have another little lull for a couple of months after all their top stars are called up.

Owens and Zayn will come back at the rumble as faces and then probably Owens will turn on him.

• Paid Members
On 12/27/2018 at 7:45 PM, MPDTT said:

- Impact will die, I fear.

Seriously doubt it personally. The company's budget is a shell of what it once was and while I can't see it rising back to its heyday, Anthem are desperate to keep the company going as its one of the Fight Network's only remaining pulls. I predict another decent if unspectacular year.

While Anthem may not be a money pit, Impact's not haemorrhaging money like was once the case.

Archived