Paul Stanley's autobio is an exercise in greatness

PowerButchi

• Moderators
On 12/28/2018 at 4:04 AM, Gay as FOOK said:

Glam metal sucks. That's not an opinion borne out of some "it goes against my metal code" bollocks, more something derived from the fact that the musicianship is usually a complete afterthought.

You having a laugh? Glam metal has some of the highest technical proficiency in rock music. Watch the below and tell me you can keep that juggernaut of riffage coming while dropping the splits? Just wait until it gets to the solo where Michael Kelly Smith melts your face off with a sonic blast of hot licks.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Glam metal is amazing. Most of the songs are catchy as fuck. The fact the singers are usually weirdos with no self awareness interests me greatly. There's always a payoff as well. Like Bret Michaels almost dying when the stage came down to early. That to me is as good as music gets. Bret nearly getting his head chopped off. "Take that weirdo" I yelled.

Glam Metal is a bunch of fun if you just don’t take it so seriously, much like a bunch of other sub genres of Metal.

It gets by on its reputation of debauched backstage antics, something that’ll no doubt become apparent when The Dirt comes on Netflix later this month, the stories of which are down to whether you choose to believe them or not, but there are some really tunes if you look for them and don’t just put on Dolph Ziggler’s favourite Motley Crue album (“I’d have to say.......The Best of Mötley CrĂŒe”). There’s still a fair amount of rot within the genre, but go to a glam show and you’ll have a good time if you embrace it

18 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Glam metal is amazing. Most of the songs are catchy as fuck. The fact the singers are usually weirdos with no self awareness interests me greatly. There's always a payoff as well. Like Bret Michaels almost dying when the stage came down to early. That to me is as good as music gets. Bret nearly getting his head chopped off. "Take that weirdo" I yelled.

A5D13C70-28CC-48D5-AE1F-F0120400E774_zps

By "glam metal" we're talking about hair metal? Ratt, Twisted Sister, Poison and whatever else rocked the American suburbs in the mid-80s? They were all shit, and certainly not a patch on the real glam rock, which was fantastic bands like Slade and Mud, from whom the above copied anything good.

Now that's glam!

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

By "glam metal" we're talking about hair metal? Ratt, Twisted Sister, Poison and whatever else rocked the American suburbs in the mid-80s? They were all shit, and certainly not a patch on the real glam rock, which was fantastic bands like Slade and Mud, from whom the above copied anything good.

Now that's glam!

No, we're taking about glam metal, which is neither hair metal nor glam rock. You can be forgiven slightly though as many ignorant youngsters these days label glam metal bands as hair metal, just because they often had big hair.

5 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

No, we're taking about glam metal, which is neither hair metal nor glam rock. You can be forgiven slightly though as many ignorant youngsters these days label glam metal bands as hair metal, just because they often had big hair.

OK. So what's the difference?

There is no difference, ‘hair metal’ in the 80s is an extension of what ‘glam metal’ was in the 70s. Before ‘hair metal’ as a phrase got coined in the 80s with the likes of Mötley CrĂŒe, Cinderella, Ratt et al, you had ‘glam metal’, which has its roots in the 70s drawing from bands like KISS, Alice Cooper, The New York Dolls, Cheap Trick etc. Even calling those bands ‘glam metal’ was more of a way to distinguish them from their pop/rock counterparts. ‘Hair metal’ tends to be used as a catch-all term to conjure up that spandex-clad image of a band rather than describing the music

To bring this thread back on to Paul Stanley, just came across this "gem" of an advert he was in, around the time he was doing Phantom of the Opera. Just before the 00-01 Farewell Tour he was trying to get serious as an actor... So bad it's good. Apparently Folgers dropped this ad pretty quickly after test runs in cinemas. 

Archived