Prog Rock is shit but Gabriel era Genesis is fucking great.

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Prog Rock is probably the whitest, and shittest, music of all time. Main influences are folk and classical. Whiter than nimble bread both of them, no wonder Jim Davidson had Emerson, Lake and Palmer as the theme to the Generation Game when he hosted it, the smug tory arse. But it's pretty fucking great when it's Peter Gabriel helming Genesis doing it (Supper's Ready and More Fool Me are all in my lifetime Top 20. Supper's Ready in it's 23 minute glory is Top 5). Why is that? Gabriel just being generally great with Phil Collins nearing his best on the tins (his best stuff is Brand X to be fair, obscenely good drumming) is my reasoning.

Also, why is Rick Wakeman such a fucking disease?

• Paid Members

Rick Wakeman did the soundtracks to the documentaries of the 1982 and 1986 World Cups. So he's OK with me. Haven't heard much of him, just like I haven't heard much of Gabriel-era Genesis. I don't like Phil-Genesis. I preferred Phil solo. I always preferred Mike & The Mechanics in the Genesis spin-off stakes,

Been a big genesis fan, ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that i didnt really understand any of their work, it was too artsy, too intellectual...it was on Duke where Phill Collins’ presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch is the group's undisputed masterpiece, its an epic meditation on intangibility at the same time it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding 3 albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford you can practically hear every nuonce of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmenship and sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism, take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion", in this song, Phil Collins adresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980's, about monogomy and commitment, the song is extremely uplifting, their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I’ve heard in rock. Phil Collins solo career, it seems to be more commercial, and therefore more satisfying in a narrower way. especially songs like In The Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group than as a solo artist, and i stress the word artist!

I mean, that’s clearly all bollocks as Gaberial-era Genesis shits on Collins-era

11 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Prog Rock is probably the whitest, and shittest, music of all time. 

What cobblers. Prog is a fucking beast and the best still stands up today. Gong, Camel, early Yes and Genesis, Henry Cow, Soft Machine . . . The German groups like Can, Faust etc. Not to mention all the forgotten oddities that made some racket then disappeared. Stunning music. And I’m black!

• Moderators

It's true that it is some of the whitest music around and that's precisely because of its influence from classical music as Butch said but that doesn't make it bad. I was listening to Dream Theatre this morning. It's corny in places and they look like idiots but it's damn good music also.

I get it, blacks make better music, in fact I don’t think it’s close. Folk and classical at its best is gorgeous though and anything that enriches the musical landscape is good in my books. Prog also took cues from the more abstract black music like free jazz and fusion etc. as well as blues of course. As much as I like punk it’s a shame musicality/technique become such a dirty word in rock.

Heavy metal though. You boys can keep that!

Archived