"Time's been kind to it"

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Essentially this is a thread for things which were much maligned at the time, and now seen as wonderful stuff. 

Showgirls goes without saying.

I think the best example is Radiohead's Kid A. The difficult second album, that came two after their deuce. On it's release my favourite album IN THE WORLD was The Bends, favourite track was Lucky so I had Ok Computer sorted too. And this shite sub Kraftwerk/Aphix Twin pile of dog eggs was bought and hated, did for years.

Then towards the end of the 00s I revisted and saw probably their best album, getting better every year to now. Not just me either, the music press thought the same. It came 4th or something in Gruaniads albums of the 00s, and they hated it on release too. I think it was just too much of a move from the guitar based stuff, and to be honest a bit ahead of it's time. But things like Everything In It's Right Place, The National Anthem and Itioteque are obscenely fantastic cuts.

Anyone else have other examples? And not just a fucking link to a video or title or something. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Shining is one that really didn't start its life well, and even got a couple of Razzie nominations until everyone (except Stephen King) realised how great it was.

The Night of the Hunter's reception was so bad when it was released that it caused Charles Laughton to never direct again, but it's an incredible piece of absolute madness.

To a lesser extent, Prince of Darkness. Didn't get much of a look-in on release, now it's seen as a bit of a horror classic.

• Paid Members

Kid A is a really good shout. We had a particular sound expectation but then all of a sudden we were pushed in to this unknown. What it actually showed us was how real talented they are as musicians and writers. It really opened up electronic music to a lot of people who were guitar focused. It never got a sniff at house parties at the the time, but fast forward to when a bunch of us moved in together in around 2005, it was part of the playlist. 

My pick goes to Nintendo GameCube. It’s always been viewed as a bit of a lacklustre machine, especially based on Nintendos timeline leading up to and after it (SNES - N64 - GameCube - Wii) and against its 6th generation competition. It had a shortage of games and it didn’t have online capabilities. Saying that, it’s slowly become one of my personal favourite consoles overtime, mainly for the quality (not quantity) of its games. The likes of Viewtiful Joe, brand new on the scene and a remake of Price of Persia (sands of time) really did set a standard, but ultimately one I think they met. If you’re unfamiliar with the GameCube, go and check out some top 20 lists, it really was the king of the platformers and was only let down by technological capabilities & variety. I didn’t really care that much for it back then, was always a PS2 fan at the time, but yeah, looking back, it’s unfortunate it didn’t get the chance/praise it deserved.

• Paid Members

Ghostbusters II has grown with its child audience. Got buried when it came out, because there wasnt many Bill Murray gags in it for the parents to laugh at. It was essentially a cartoon spin off, with Winston having to shave the tashe off and Slimer knocking about the firehouse. Ray doesnt get his cock sucked by a ghost in it. It was a film made for people who are now in their 30s, so its much more appreciated in 2018 than it was in 1989. The same cant be said about the Ninja Turtles II. Sure Vanilla Ice and Big Kev are in it, but the bait and switch with those two Beebop and Rocksteady snides I'll not get over any time soon.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Dune is a great film that was panned at the time because everyone was expecting something like Star Wars.

Great is pushing it. It reminded me most of Zardoz, in that it had lot of good ideas and striking images, but it's also a total mess. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Kid A is a really good shout.

Picked up Kid A as a teenager expecting and hoping for it to sound like The Bends, crushing disappointment followed. I never really got back on board with Radiohead after that, i should try.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Dune is a great film that was panned at the time because everyone was expecting something like Star Wars.

Yeah but it's still not regarded as good today, is it?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Picked up Kid A as a teenager expecting and hoping for it to sound like The Bends, crushing disappointment followed. I never really got back on board with Radiohead after that, i should try.

That period is their creative peak. Sure, they've had their moments since, but a lot of drum loop retreads and flops also. Puzzling now how mixed the reaction was to that album, but I guess Butch touched on why that may be the case. It was nothing like what most Radiohead wanted, at the time.

Most of Lou Reed's classic albums were considered ghastly when they were released. Berlin, for example, was written off for being too miserable an experience. Christ, even his Metal Machine Music troll album is now considered a great work of art and one of the leap off points for industrial music. The story of how MMM came to be is brilliant. Apparently the record company was pressuring Reed to come up with Sally Can't Dance 2 (basically another hit album), so Reed, having full creative control to release what he wanted, decided to release 64:11 of unlistenable feedback as a big old "fuck you" to RCA. Of course, he pretty much scared away most of his audience too. Reed, in his later years, when folk started throwing acclaim MMM way, started claiming it an intentional statement of art that created heavy metal.

• Paid Members

Hilariously, it's got a mighty 8.7 rating on Pitchfork.

"Lou Reed’s 1975 album has been called one of the worst albums ever made. The truth is it is the product of genuine love and passion, still exhilarating and bursting with possibility four decades on." Oh, Pitchfork.

• Paid Members

A string quartet did a live arrangement of MMM for strings, which is actually quite interesting listening, and about the only part of that revisionist history of it as an artistic masterpiece that actually holds up.

The thing with Lou Reed in general is that every time he released anything a little bit unusual, the music press would freak out as if it was some outlandish move completely outside the norm when, really, doing slightly janky weird shit was the one through thread of his career, and it's the poppy glam-tinged numbers that stand out as the anomalies.

• Paid Members

It's bizarre to me that Berlin was ever considered anything other than great. Too depressing? Fuck off it was the early 70s, look out of the window! He must have done something to rile critics, because it's reception was unduly harsh. 

Archived