Quick learners

tiger_rick

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
5 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Angle did well moving from amatuer to pro

This is his second ever public match, which I believe was four days after his first training session (it was a week-long camp with shows at the end). Four days of training and he has a competent match with Shawn Stasiak.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

I think Edge & Christian hit the ground running.

Edge in particular caught the eye of the trainers in developmental immediately.

Probably Edge's look got him a look more than his grappling did. Was all the rage back in 97/98. You know, that kind of loner look.

1 minute ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Probably Edge's look got him a look more than his grappling did. Was all the rage back in 97/98.

Yes he had a good look, but i read in The Observer about this young blonde kid (as yet unnamed) who picked up everything very quickly in training. 

I know he wrestled in Canada a bit before the WWE signed him, but don't think he had a huge amount of matches.

I'm sure being a strong amateur wrestler and legit MMA star played a part, but Mark Coleman was a natural from his first match; he’s got intensity, agility, fire, power, aggression and an aura of a seriously bad mofo who’s not to be messed with.  Despite occasional talk of WCW being interested in him for some 'Shooters' division that ended up going nowhere, he never wrestled outside of Japan but did wrestle more than I realised.  Here is his debut match from the Inoki Bom Ba Ye show in 2000, teaming alongside Mark Kerr who was also making his debut.  It's like chalk and cheese with those two, one Mark who, a couple of nice suplexes aside, is bland as fuck, the other who has serious aptitude for pro wrestling.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:04 AM, JNLister said:

This is his second ever public match, which I believe was four days after his first training session (it was a week-long camp with shows at the end). Four days of training and he has a competent match with Shawn Stasiak.

Angle was born for this. 

Guy has probably 30 hours training and is better than alot of 10 year veterans. 

Newburyport Massachusetts is where that Angle match was held. I remember buying the show on VCR back in the day. It's probably still gathering dust somewhere.

I remember Jericho saying his first match was in Ponoka Alberta Canada and how 'every wrestler has a Ponoka' (i e some obscure town they debuted in). I know this was Angles second match but it's fun to see the obscure places wrestlers work in their early days.

On 12/22/2018 at 1:45 PM, Snitsky's back acne said:

Newburyport Massachusetts is where that Angle match was held. I remember buying the show on VCR back in the day. It's probably still gathering dust somewhere.

I remember Jericho saying his first match was in Ponoka Alberta Canada and how 'every wrestler has a Ponoka' (i e some obscure town they debuted in). I know this was Angles second match but it's fun to see the obscure places wrestlers work in their early days.

That’s probably not very common for today’s wrestlers. The amount of schools and related indie shows that are around now would mean most wrestlers debuting in the last ten years or so would have their first match in their own town, I’d think.

Archived