Quick learners

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Got thinking about people who take to wrestling brilliantly after the success of Ronda Rousey this year. I always thought Ken Shamrock was tremendous very quickly after his jump from UFC. I know he'd done a bit years earlier but it was still really impressive. I really wish they'd have done less of that stupid shit where he "snaps" and "goes into a zone" and more that made him credible because he was really good and a fantastically intense worker.

Who was that footballer or whatever that TNA had that time who was quite good? One that stood out amongst the collection of shit sportsmen they used - including that one (Pacman?) who couldn't even be touched but they put a title on him!

I've deliberately not mentioned Angle because he's too obvious. Will let others have their say on him.

That David Arquette lad was tremendous too, wasn't he? Real World Champion material there if WCW hadn't dropped the ball!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Velveteen Dream & Shayna Baszler. I appreciate she spent a year or 2 on the indies, but bloody hell shes nailed it in that time.

Dream, he’s been nothing short of brilliant. His rise from his debut and getting to witness him progress and master his trade over this past year has been a joy to watch. 

Both have been class.

• Paid Members

Think you could make a case for John Cena. Graduating from OVW's famed class of 2002, he effectively became WWE's new posterboy within the span of something like 26 months. Others have broken into the business quickly and have won WWE titles etc in shorter timespans, but to ascend the quickly to become such a prominent figure for the company takes some doing. 

Can't not mention Matt Riddle in this thread. Months after being released from the UFC, he's out there getting his name out in EVOLVE. Quickly turned into a fantastic worker, incorporating his striking moveset with natural pro-wrestling charisma. Deservedly picking up the WON Best Rookie award. Crazy how good he got, and how quickly he became one of the biggest guys on the indie scene in the space of about a year and half.

Rock went from debuting as crap face Rocky Maivia in survivor series 96 to becoming WWF champion exactly 2 years later. This was during a boom in wrestling too, competing alongside Foley and Austin for top spot. That's fairly decent going. Its sort of forgotten just how quick he picked things up.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Who was that footballer or whatever that TNA had that time who was quite good? One that stood out amongst the collection of shit sportsmen they used - including that one (Pacman?) who couldn't even be touched but they put a title on him!

You talking about Monty Brown, who went on to be Marcus Cor Von in WWECW? He was pretty good.

Much as I wasn't a fan, I guess one has to say Goldberg. As I understand it, his American football career ended in 94, 95? And he debuted on-screen as a wrestler in 96? Whatever could be said about his ability at a higher level, fact is he got over pretty sharpish, and was quite plausible too.

• Paid Members

Probably a little bit off the radar but Utami Hayashishita who wrestles for Stardom in Japan has picked up the wrestling thing very quickly. 

She only had her first ever match in August of this year but is already one of the main stars of the promotion. I would say she’s a lot better than Rousey in the ring, though to be fair to Rousey she’s doing it on a lot bigger stage. 

I’d recommend trying to find some of her matches with Jungle Kyona or Mayu Iwatani and she recently won the Tokyo Sports rookie of the year which included both make/female wrestlers. 

18 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

Nah he was talking about Adam ‘Pacman’ Jones I think. Was tag champs with R Truth in TNA for a little bit. 

He never even wrestled, he couldn't actually get physically involved due to his NFL contract.

There was another footballer a couple of years ago who actually had a single match and Meltzer thought he was the second coming of Christ, can't remember his name.

Archived