Your First Car

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I've had my licence for about four years now (it's very easy to let this sort of thing get away from you in London, and I really do wish I'd got it sooner, but I failed three tests, and it was getting expensive), but I've never been able to afford my first car yet. It costs a lot to run a car here. I've got an idea of what I want, and am saving up; I'd prefer a manual, but with the traffic the way it is here, it's much wiser to get an automatic. Probably something small and easily manoeuvrable, like a Toyota Yaris or something, especially as newer hybrids are exempt from the Congestion Charge.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, W35ty said:

1989 Nova 1.3 sr

rs-182302-85367088.jpg?crop=900:600&widt

"Your mother warned you it's a sound system banger"

My first car was meant to be a Nova 1.2, can't remember the reg. My dad was a mechanic so got it on the cheap and done it up. I failed my test aged 18 and gave up for 4 years, so he sold it. Then my first proper car, which my girlfriend (now wife) gave me when she got another car not long after we moved in together, was a Peugeot 106. R reg I think.

peugeot-106-2001-008l.jpg

What a piece of shit it was. In the short space of time I had it, almost everything that could go wrong with it went wrong. I spent a fortunate on parts (which my Dad fitted for me mostly, I did the odd thing) whenever something went to shit. Eventually the head gasket went. Rather than fix it, I decided topping up the water for my 10 min daily commute was an acceptable work-around, until the rad eventually thought 'nah, fuck this' and gave way. It sat in the car park at work until I eventually had it towed to the local scrapyard and bought my sister-in-law's Clio for £500 instead.

@Fatty Facesitter do you have a dodgy Vince McMahon thumbs up in that pic?!

@Loki my folks had that car for a while! My dad said it's the worst car he's ever owned, only because the gearbox went while we were on a family holiday in Cornwall and it ruined the holiday for him. We had to cycle to some parts shop in the middle of nowhere and he then scraped the skin off his shin when he tried to kick the toebar when he had the hump. In anger, when we got home he not only sold the car but also the touring caravan we'd had for years, starting 'I'm never fucking camping again'. 22 years later, he's kept his word.

Those Skodas are indestructible.  My first proper girlfriend had one of those as well.  It's extremely hard to have sex in.  The Citroen on the other hand, back seats let down, you could pretty much get a mattress in.

Are car stereos still a thing with kids?  Seems like most cars nowadays have decent systems in, whereas when I was a kid you'd buy a decent 2nd hand head unit of a bloke down the pub, and some Kenwood speakers, and move them from car to car along with your tapes and chrome pipe.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Loki said:

Are car stereos still a thing with kids?  Seems like most cars nowadays have decent systems in, whereas when I was a kid you'd buy a decent 2nd hand head unit of a bloke down the pub, and some Kenwood speakers, and move them from car to car along with your tapes and chrome pipe.

image.png.adf93d4efc4b1a338646089155b636d0.png

7 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

I literally came in to say I think Houchen is driving the same fecal brown Skoda that he had at some point in the late 80s, and lo and behold I think it's the model you posted there bud!

Ah, the Skoda Felicia.  Amazingly reliable car, never had any bother with it and only sold it to a mate because we moved to Manchester and didn't need two cars.  My mate who bought it was the absolute spit of John Arne Riise and lived close to the Cov ground.  Once in the transfer window gossip someone "Spotted" Riise at the Ricoh.  Nah mate, it was Craigy in a Skoda heading to Tesco, have a word.

Archived