Your Year In Music

Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Link to Spotify Wrapped - https://spotifywrapped.com/

It's the end of the year, which means that Spotfy gives us a little look at how our year was. Thought it might be a swell idea to discuss what we've been listening to (according to what the site says, anyways). Even if you don't use Spotfy, feel free to discuss your top tracks and bands of the year.

4.PNG.14626cd4408152a956b0ef83e91bf650.PNG

- I listened to 27,633 hours of music this year. It's an insane amount! Considering it's my in-car music, my gym listening and I'll throw it on in the background when at home doing whatever, I still didn't think it was that much. 

1.PNG.9f1cca10201953a2d8cc768c06d245b3.PNG

- And only 6 hours of that was spent with a single artist , although I suspect it's because Taking Back Sunday end up on any playlist that I throw together. They're such a versatile band and they're the soundtrack to my drunker, more care free days. Party playlist? Throw'em on! Working out playlist? Throw'em on! Road trip playlist? Throw'em on! Chill playlist? Throw'em on!

- I'm a tad surprised at my top artists. Apart from Joyce Manor (who I discovered a couple of years ago), they're some of my all-time favourite bands and their music means a hell of a lot to me, but I don't think I've listened to them that much this year. They occupy a few of my playlists but I don't really remember going out of my way to really listen to them this year. Can't fault the system though. Also, Brand New has appeared again as I'm slowly dipping my elbow in that bath water after those allegations against Jesse Lacey have cooled off somewhat. I'm still undecided on the whole debacle, to be honest.

Fancy a crawl through my top 5 tracks this year? Here you go!

- Titus Andronicus - "Above The Bodega (Local Business)

Man, this is so, so good. Love the southern influences here. Subject matter is fantastic too, it's laced with genuine humanity and catchy as FUCK.

- Wheeler Walker Jr. - Eatin' Pussy/Kickin' Ass

Friend of mine showed me this song and I fell in love with it. I've been sharing it with as many people as possible as it just kills me. I played it in the car during a road trip in the summer and couldn't even finish the last chorus due to the amount of hysterics it put me in. A modern comedy classic. I also have same sense of humour as a 14 year old, it seems.

- Alan Jackson w/ Jimmy Buffett - It's Five O' Clock Somewhere

I had never heard of this song until earlier this year. My 'Mania weekend trip took me and my friends through Houston first. At the recommendation of a local barman, we went to a dueling piano bar called Sneaky Petes that was located in the middle of the business district. It was an absolute blast and when they were playing this song, the whole place was singing along to every word. If Micheal Cole were commenting over it, he would've said "What a moment!". This tune (along with 'Mississippi Queen' by Mountain) will forever be linked to that fantastic two weeks in the States.

- Arcane Roots - If Nothing Breaks, Nothing Moves

Three years on from first discovering these lads at Hevy Fest and they're still finding their way into my end-of-year lists, without fail. Everything clicks and it's a damn shame these guys weren't fucking massive. God speed.

Mount Eerie - Earth

Just devastating. Utterly brutal. I had to rewind and listen to this song repeatedly after I first heard it. There's never been a song as heart breaking or uncomfortable as this, yet it's sweet and loving. 

3.PNG.63726f23d7158cf5c27fa3a0e44b98fe.PNG

Heh, I'm quite chuffed with this statistic. Yeah, I'm a bit of a music ponce, but I pay monthly for the privilege. 

Idles, Julien Baker, Modern Baseball, Maybeshewill and Carpetner Brut also placed high and frequently on my Top 100 playlist. Whilst there weren't many 2018 releases that I took a fancy too, I fell down a post-punk, emo and synthwave hole for most of it. A great year for discovering genres and bands.

- I listened for 20,312minutes, or 338.5hours, 23hours of which were listening to Ghost.

- My top artists were Ghost, David Bowie, Andrew WK, Creedence Clearwater Revival and REM

- The oldest song I listened to was In The Wee Small Hours by Frank Sinatra from 1955

- My Top 100 features the interesting back-to-back of Skinless - The Optimist followed by James Brown - The Boss 

My Tastebreakers playlist, which chooses songs from genres you don't usually listen to, is full of disco songs when that's one of my most listened to genres (though it doesn't appear in my top 5 genres).

In fact, two disco songs are in my top five most listened to songs with another song being well-played in the early days of discos.

Steely Dan were my most listened to artist with Peg and Josie in my top 5 songs. Girl You Need A Change Of Mind by Eddie Kendricks, Dancer by Gino Soccio, and New York City by Miroslav Vitous round the list off.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

Dancer by Gino Soccio

tumblr_ohd8cy6mvX1qf9csoo1_400.gif.8935f5eaff25ef05cebf21ec7407f153.gif

Not sure they actually count disco as a genre, as it's got soul down as my top genre.

Top artists were:

Masquerade [Boris Midney]

Daniela Mercury

Stevie Wonder

Liquid Gold

Xuxa

And my top songs were

Weekend Special (Brenda and the Big Boys)

There But For The Grace of God (Machine)

Kiss Me Again (Dinosaur)

The Night, The Wine, And The Roses (Liquid Gold)

Still You (Love of Life Orchestra)

43,925 minutes listened, 127% more likely to listen to non-mainstream artists.

All in all, I'm a nob.

• Awards Moderator

I don't do Spotify but I'm still listening to the Hamilton soundtrack, actually went to some gigs this year which meant I've been playing more James Taylor and Paul Simon than usual. We bought the Kerrang Pop Punk compilation in April which was fun for a month or two. I've spent the last couple of months enjoying Greta Van Fleet. Otherwise I'm all about the Shuffle.

Oh and Bruce. Always Bruce.

I'm not so hot at music anymore...

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I don't do Spotify but I'm still listening to the Hamilton soundtrack, actually went to some gigs this year which meant I've been playing more James Taylor and Paul Simon than usual. We bought the Kerrang Pop Punk compilation in April which was fun for a month or two. I've spent the last couple of months enjoying Greta Van Fleet. Otherwise I'm all about the Shuffle.

Oh and Bruce. Always Bruce.

I'm not so hot at music anymore...

How is the new Led Zeppelin album?

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I share my Spotify with my girlfriend so she can listen to it when having a bath.  As a result, all the top ones were pop punk and Disney songs!

Similar in that I don’t really use Spotify on my phone as I have free Apple Music, but I gave the kids log ins for their kindles and the top artist is Little Mix followed by Tigers Jaw and The Greatest Showman.

One of those is definitely not listened to by the girls...

I used to mainly use MusicBee/Poweramp and play stuff I've downloaded or ripped but I've apparently got over 6,000 minutes on Spotify this year, the top three artists were Thou, Jpegmafia and the body which is daft as I own all those albums in better quality already.

Top song was two french lasses rapping about sucking dick and shit...

• Moderators

This thread has made me realise I haven't scrobbled anything to Last.fm since 2016. I have reactivated that on my phone and desktop so I'll have some stats this time next year....

I've been slowly digitising a lot of old cds this year so I can get rid of them and free up some space. As a result I've rediscovered some great old gems I haven't listened to in ages. The best of them has been the self-titled Radiator album. I bought it because I saw them supporting Pitchshifter back in the late 90s and the album has stood up really well and I completely forgot it existed. The closest thing I could compare them to is a bit like Ash or Feeder, but not complete shit.

Oh, here it is! Good old youtube... - 

• Paid Members

My ipod never made it back to the UK and I don't do Spotify, so my main music fix is a CD in the car to and from work. 

As a result I picked up some of motorheads live albums to add into circulation, no sleep till Hammersmith, everything louder than everyone else, live at Brixton 2000 & everywhere further than everyplace else. I didn't regret picking them up.

Archived