Tank Abbott - a fine man, going through a rough time.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah No Holds Barred is really good. Even if you watched all the shows from that era you’ll learn something reading that. Goes into detail on not just the beginnings of the UFC and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (which let’s face it, that story has been told to death) but it covers pretty much all the promotions and promoters that were around in the early years, the characters involved and the issues the sport faced. Gentry really did his homework. 

I have the first version of the book released in 2005 with Chuck on the cover. It's brilliant. 

It clued me in on the SEG era and the IFC. The first version of the book ends with Pride still on top and the only serious place for fighters to make money. The 2011 version of the book is probably even better. It's longer and has more interview material. 

• Paid Members

i have that in the house, i had the earlier edition given to me by a mate, i need to read it.

bar-brawler.jpg

Anyone read Tank's actual book? i was always put off because its said to be an autobiography but with all the names changed to avoid legal issues.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I have the first version of the book released in 2005 with Chuck on the cover. It's brilliant. 

That’s the one I’ve got as well. Chuck on the cover and NO HOLDS BARRED in big red lettering. Didn’t realise they’d released an extended version. 

49 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

It clued me in on the SEG era and the IFC. The first version of the book ends with Pride still on top and the only serious place for fighters to make money. The 2011 version of the book is probably even better. It's longer and has more interview material. 

I have the 2005 version which is fantastic, is the 2011 the same but just with added chapters?

5 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

I have the 2005 version which is fantastic, is the 2011 the same but just with added chapters?

I think so. 

After checking, it seems that there are actually 3 versions of the book. The first one was written in 2002. The second in 2005 (Chuck on the cover). The third in 2011. 

It's being advertised on Patreon it seems. To be honest, as much as I love big Tank and all his quirky madness, I'm not that fussed hearing what he has to say. He's said the same thing for years now, which amounts to him being bigger and tougher than everyone else, how he lifted shitloads of weights in his younger days, how guys have flames on their shorts, how he could roll off his bar stool and beat anyone from the current era, all that jazz.

His stuff about McGregor is the same stuff he said about Rousey, except he didn't ask Conor to make him a sandwich.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i have that in the house, i had the earlier edition given to me by a mate, i need to read it.

bar-brawler.jpg

Anyone read Tank's actual book? i was always put off because its said to be an autobiography but with all the names changed to avoid legal issues.

I know you’re not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but it doesn’t really bode well that the very first word (“before”) is misspelt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

On 12/15/2018 at 9:13 AM, Egg Shen said:

i was always put off because its said to be an autobiography but with all the names changed to avoid legal issues.

It's called "roman a clef" I believe.

• Paid Members

Cage Rage was such a trashy operation wasnt it? The producers of Topless Darts would blush at how minor league their production was. The shite music, the C-level Nuts models who were the ring girls.

But Tank is the man, to be fair to him. We were blessed that he came through pro wrestling as WCW's most unorganized. He wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes in a structure where he was told what to do. I remember him cracking a joke on Nitro and getting the name of the wrestler completely wrong, rendering the pun usless.

"I'm fighting a guy called the beach ball." He was referring to The Wall, brother.

Archived