Tank Abbott - a fine man, going through a rough time.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Poor Tank. Looks all tired and old. What a man, though. Had a liver transplant and has a six strokes during the operation. Amazing he's still alive. Silly fucker still wants to fight, though. Bellator or Golden Boy will book him, sadly.

Funny thing was the other day, I was thinking why nobody is booking him on the indies? With the current tend of older guys having these little nostalgia runs in hipster promotions, bringing in Tank as a one punch gimmick worker every few months would be cool, for say, GCW. Especially Joey Janela's Spring Break. Didnt know he was so knackered.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I saw a clip of that interview the other day, he was talking about the recent Chuck-Tito 3 farce and I was shocked by how gaunt he looked. I was going to post a screenshot of him on here but didn’t know why he looked so rough so didn’t want to just go ‘Not such a Tank now eh, chaps?’ only to find out he was in a really bad way. Glad I didn’t now. Sounds like he’s been through a right load of shit there. Nice to see that his health problems don’t seem to have taken much of the edge off his cheery demeanour. He was having a pop at the Chuck and Tito thing and claiming he could’ve been a top level heavyweight boxer if he’d fancied it, or something. Got to love Tank. 

8 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Tank has to be the worst fighter ever to be a star with the casual crowd. His won/loss record is appalling, even Kimbo Slice knocked him out in seconds.

His record matters not a jot though, does it? he's not climbing any rankings or looking to be classified a pound-for-pound great. He was an original, back in the day when the sport was barely even a sport. He had one-punch knockout power, his fights were mainly entertaining to the casual fan, and he had possibly the most appealing and recognisable look of the early era. The beard, the shaven head, built like a fire hydrant, he had it all.

Very much a man of his time of course, but someone who was just as important to the early growth of the sport as virtually any fighter who wasn't called Gracie in my opinion.

Adding to David's great post, you have to put him the context of the time. When UFC first became a thing and I got the tapes from Rob Butcher, Tank was the guy I wanted to watch more than anyone else. He was so explosive and unique. He had star power before that was even a consideration in the early days. Him, Shamrock and Gracie were "the guys" in UFC's infancy. Nobody knew much about techniques or whatever back in the mid 90s, you just wanted to see mad shit and Tank supplied it in spades. Even if he doesn't make it to see 60 due to doing too much of things he liked, then his legend is more than secured. 

No, not generic at all. It's the real deal - it's especially great if you're interested in just how the bloody thing managed to get started in the first place, and there's some really interesting historical stuff about the Gracies, early MMA in Brazil in gyms etc. I can't recommend it enough if you're a long time fan. The fact they were seriously considering putting a moat with crocodiles in it around the cage for the first one...

Archived