Fighters who can't walk away and other various freakshows/crossovers

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Wasn’t Bowe going to fight Andrew Golota again under MMA or Kickboxing rules at one point as well? For Bowe’s bollocks sake I’m glad that didn’t end up happening. 

Lombard is one of the most open and shut cases for me. He came into the UFC riding a 25 fight unbeaten streak. Went 3-2 in his first 5 UFC fights but the 2 losses were split decisions and I remember them being razor close. Nothing too alarming there as streaking fighters often lose more regularly in the UFC. He still looked every bit the monster we saw outside the UFC when he was smashing Palhares and Marquardt to bits and the way he manhandled Jake Shields was scary. His slump started in 2015. He beat Josh Burkman (a lot of people do as Magnum pointed out) but then got popped by USADA after the fight and the result was overturned to a No Contest. He was suspended for a year, came back in 2016 and he’s not won a fight since. 0-6 and stopped 3 times. And 2 of his losses were to Dan Henderson and Johny Hendricks, who were both seriously on their last legs at the time. Maybe there are other factors as well but I don’t think there’s been a clearer case of a guy completely plummeting post-USADA than Lombard. The reason for his decline seems obvious to me. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Phil Baroni.

maxresdefault.jpg

Im a huge fan of Phil Baroni, seeing him destroy Dave Menne back in the day was a moment, id wager that KO made as many people fans of MMA in the early Zuffa days as any. Baroni went on to have a mixed bag of a run but he was always must see win or lose up until his second UFC stint. Post-UFC he became a bit of a journeyman and lost any kind of punch resistance he once had and prime Baroni had a hell of a chin. He did a bit of Chuck Liddell. 

Baroni's career ended in 2014, before he made a successful comeback earlier this year knocking out some schmoe at KOTC in 24 seconds. 

Baroni then announced he'd fight a returning Chris Leben in a bare knuckle boxing fight. The event was mared with controversy but the fight happened, and well...

Nothing short of an embarrasing display from the Best Eva. First he appears terrified of Leben, then completely abandons the rules, then he seemed to go down a little too easily, a far cry from the warrior of old.

111018-fight003.jpg

If thats the end of Baroni's fighting career its a disappointing one, but its likely the right one despite looking in great shape for 42. Its whats happening between the ears thats worrying for Baroni.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

That mention of Frank Mir in the Bellator thread makes me think he's a good entry for this one. He's 2-7 in his last nine matches, and he's taken some pretty nasty beatings, to the point where they've even got wand uncomfortable to watch.

Mir was a right sad loser for a 8 month period between mid-2009 and early 2010. He acted like a high-brow intellectual in the build-up to the rematch with Brock. Then, after getting battered by Brock, proceeded to wish death upon him and lost his commentating gig with the WEC. He then he got flattened by Carwin only 2 months later. I can't say I ever hated though. His fights were hit and miss. He was involved in some right stinkers especially during his obese period and post-Carwin period. But he was also involved in some memorable shootouts and landed some of MMA's most memorable submissions. Probably a bit too smart for his own good and was probably a twat in his early career if Barnett and Freeman are anything to go by. But he's never got under my skin like he has most. 

But aye, he probably should have called it a day by now. The Overeem fight was probably the time. Or perhaps he should have gone out on "a high" after the Big Foot victory. 

On 12/11/2018 at 7:59 PM, Silky Kisser said:

Dan Hardy lost 5 min a row a few years back, didn't he? 

Nah, it was only 3. Three used to be the cut off point for getting punted; he saved himself with a win over Duane Ludwig. Fair play to him, he's good at being a pundit now. 

BJ, though... I was horrified when I saw he had a UFC fight coming up. The guy is shot to shit and Dana is a spineless hypocrite for all his chat about Chuck. BJ Penn should not be fighting anymore. It's a really sad state of affairs considering how brilliant he was back in the day. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Nah, it was only 3. Three used to be the cut off point for getting punted; he saved himself with a win over Duane Ludwig. Fair play to him, he's good at being a pundit now. 

BJ, though... I was horrified when I saw he had a UFC fight coming up. The guy is shot to shit and Dana is a spineless hypocrite for all his chat about Chuck. BJ Penn should not be fighting anymore. It's a really sad state of affairs considering how brilliant he was back in the day. 

Just checked, it was 4.

I remember at the time there was talking that despite losing a bunch, he was given 'favourable style' matches as a way of hoping he'd get back in the win column. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

here's a little crossover fight that i had no idea even happened...

Wrestling legend Alexandr Karelin had a worked shoot fight in RINGS against Akira Maeda back in 1999 (a year before he lost to Rulin Gardener at the Sydney Olympics). I used to read alot about Karelin back on the sherdog boards, he was like some kind of mythical legend on there, the talk was always of how dominant Karelin would have been if he had moved into MMA. I never remember reading about an actual "fight" though. The actual fight is clearly worked but the Japanese fans lap it up. Probably the fight that laid the groundwork to the Gardener/Yoshida fight happening in Pride a few years later.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

wasn't sure where to post this, its a crossover of sorts though... 

people may not be aware but here's Anthony Joshua's next opponent Jarrell Miller fighting Crocop in Glory a couple of years ago, Miller looking much leaner than he does these days:

Edited by Egg Shen