Watching wrestling for the first time

RoryFice

9 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

I often wonder what younger fans who started watching in this decade think when they look back at some of the Attitude Era type stuff now

I'd like to see their reaction to seeing a chair shot to the head for the first time.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up I had two uncles who were both massively into wrestling so I was always surrounded by wrestling from an early age. I can remember playing with Hasbro figures in what would have been maybe 1997 or 98 when I was 4/5. First match I can remember watching was The Undertaker vs Kama on a VHS from an In Your House PPV. Pretty sure it was a Casket Match. From there I was hooked. 

9 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Ah, I didn’t know those matches were included on the tapes. I thought they were just for those in the arena that night.

Similarly, the first In Your House card had a straight Undertaker/Kama match on as well as a Bam Bam/Tatanka match that includes good Christian Ted Dibiase telling someone in the crowd to "Sit down, bitch!".

I was 9 and I think it would have been late 91. I remember my brother talking about it (few years older than me at high school). He might have borrowed a tape off someone. I was obviously interested enough at this point as I got wrestlemania for the Amiga for Christmas that year. It came with a free tape and I watched it to death. First actual show I watched was royal rumble 92 as my dad borrowed it off someone from work. That was it. Mind blown, that’s all that consumed my life from that point on. From there I borrowed tapes off friends and then my grandad  got cable. He taped it during the week and we would watch it at the weekend. I distinctly remember him telling me about an episode he watched where an ex convict was trying to revenge his former prison guard (nails/boss man)  I got wrestlemania 8 off a friend which just looked amazing in that dome. And then summer slam 92 was announced and my dad surprised me with tickets. Possibly the greatest night of my life up to that point. My interested died probably in the early 00s, I only have vague memories of wrestling during that time. I’d started univeristy and was more occupied with going out then staying into watch wrestling. Not really watched a lot since but I’ll always have a passing interest.

Archived