Dave Meltzer

Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Aside from Vince, who didn't Meltzer have access to? They weren't all giving him the stories but he could talk to almost anyone or talk to someone who could. Face it, he built an incredible network of contacts and he had access to shows most of us will never see. He hasn't produced a crammed newsletter every week for decades by luck.

Anyone currently in wwe won’t talk to him. For example he hears dean ambrose is unhappy with creative. You think dean will talk to him? 

When he reported hogan may or may not be the 3rd man. Hogan didn’t do an interview with him. 

He has contacts sure but he can never be sure they aren’t working him 

The period of time that that these podcasts mostly cover, Meltzer talked to Vince and the WWF office the entire duration. He was very good friends with Jim Ross when he was right hand man in both companies. Vince assigned people in the company to deal with Dave prior to that. Vince and Dave spoke on and off through 2001. Dave and Eric spoke through 2001, and he talked to people close to Eric the entire time too. The period these podcasts are covering, he absolutely did talk to people in both offices.

Better yet, is this to assume that the reporting would be better if it came directly from the people with the vested interest, no questions asked?

So is that it, after all? The outrage and the FDM is people thinking it's absurd somebody who "never did it" is reporting on it? What the fuck does that really have to do with anything in the grand scheme. It's like these old bookers who say you have to have been a wrestler to be a booker, when Paul Heyman and Jim Cornette and Larry Matysik and Sam Muchnick and Chris Kreski and Vince McMahon Sr. have slapped that theory down for decades. On this same basis of "you never did it", these people have no right to criticise anybody's journalism unless they've written a newsletter themselves.

Let's look at the real world. Moments ago, at 11.20am, political journalists were told directly by the Prime Minister's P.R. that the vote on Theresa May's Brexit deal is still happening tomorrow at 7. Straight from the source! According to Bloomberg, it's been pulled and won't be happening, citing 2 Cabinet sources. The Prime Minister is on a conference call right now with her Cabinet and we'll see what happens in the next hour or so. Point is, things are constantly moving in life, things do change, yesterday's reality is tomorrow's binned idea, so nobody can ever be sure of anything. So why bother? There may be inaccuracies, things that some people say is wrong because they never heard it even though it could be valid. That's not wrestling journalism - that's journalism. The goal is to get the story and get it right. And as Eric said himself on his old podcast "Bischoff on Wrestling", before he changed tact so shamelessly and so transparently - though he didn't like stuff getting out, he admitted then that Dave was tremendously accurate.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

15 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Anyone currently in wwe won’t talk to him. For example he hears dean ambrose is unhappy with creative. You think dean will talk to him? 

When he reported hogan may or may not be the 3rd man. Hogan didn’t do an interview with him. 

He has contacts sure but he can never be sure they aren’t working him 

Honest question, have you actually ever read the Obserber?

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

He had direct access to vince? To check all his backstage gossip and report on the direction the booking was going to take? 

He spoke to him for years regarding lots of stuff. I find your primative understanding of journalism a little sad to be honest.

Do know what corroborating sources are? 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, gmoney said:

He spoke to him for years regarding lots of stuff. I find your pritave understanding of journalism a little sad to be honest.

I don’t see why vince would tell dave about backstage gossip and the ins and outs of future booking decisions. But if that’s the case then people like Bruce need to own up to it

im not aware dave ever said who any of his sources where?

Edited by quote the raven

22 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

He had direct access to vince? To check all his backstage gossip and report on the direction the booking was going to take?

if then I fully admit to talking utter shit 

Why would Vince be the definitive source of every bit of backstage gossip? He's not omnipresent. This is what I mean - people take this heavily structured view of how to verify information, and as demonstrated in my prior post with what is going on RIGHT NOW, as I type, in the real world, that's not how things actually work. Unless Vince said it, it's not definite. And it was 93,173, brother.

EDIT: Ooooooh shit! In real time, BBC now reporting that it is "understood that Theresa May's Brexit vote" is being delayed. Despite her own liaison with the media tell them at 11.20am, less than two hours ago, that it was happening tomorrow at 7. Check out my previous post for the relevance on the nature of journalism and sourcing.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Noted credible source of the truth, Terry Bollea.

So it’s better to report a 3rd hand story? Tell the truth hogan wouldn’t have picked up the phone to him. 

Thats the issue he has no way of confirming what he’s told, unless he has access to top level people and they are willing to tell him knowing he will print it. 

Gmoney says he did straight from vince himself. 

Others have said he had the same access to Eric and I wouldn’t doubt Paul for one second. 

I have to admit, despite him being the source for all the juicy info I've used to salve my wrestling curiosity since first hearing that crackly dial up tone, I'm not overly familiar with the world of Dave Meltzer or how the Observer operated. 

There's some interesting things here. Chief amongst them being that Vince had a correspondence with Dave. Why was this so? Was it a necessary evil in the time of the Monday Night Wars to get yourself on the blower to him and have your own say?