Dave Meltzer

Brewster McCloud

I have to feel a tad sorry for anyone trying to be a journalist in such a carny business, the fucker's going to be fed countless lies and embelishments so how do you really sift through them all and not post a bunch of fake news?

Also, wasn't Konnan one of his main stooges during his time in WCW?

I do love a bit of Da Meltz. As @The Rattmentioned, his piece on Larry Matysik was really good, even from the perspective of knowing next to nothing about the St Louis territory, Sam Muchnik etc. The observer is good value for one of my commutes in the week and WOR is about the only pod I listen to of any variety these days.

Yes he's a bit weird, yes he could do with proof reading the observer a bit more, but he does get a disproportionate amount of shit for reporting the newz~.

Not sure where this Russo love comes from, he's such an obvious and massive shitarse. 

Edited by hallicks

2 hours ago, quote the raven said:

I can only go on Eric’s reaction to being told. He said it was total utter bullshit. He was never considered point blank for the role. Did he ever even sign with wcw? 

Yes, but the nWo angle could easily be seen as Bischoff's finest hour. So, assuming Meltzer is correct, Bischoff is hardly likely to admit that he'd planned to bring in Mabel if he couldn't convince Hogan to turn, as it would make him look like a total idiot instead of a genius.

• Paid Members

I do think Bischoff is unfairly shit on because of how useless he became late 98 onwards. To me, he was always like an old footy manager who won the league by bringing in new ideas from La Liga and Serie A and spent a load of money on experienced players. From about 93 to 97, he was very much on the ball. Hiring Zane Bresloff, who was WWF's live events promoter, bringing in Hogan, flying to Japan every other week to take with their promoters, signing all those Luchadors, agreesively going at Big Balls Vince. Once his motivation had dried up, and other people lapped him, he was pretty much spent. Post 99, he was like Ron Atkinson or someone. Pretty knackered, well out of touch with modern times and if Celebrity Big Brother ran him up he'd go in for a few quid. But he really did put the graft in for a few years. You just have to look at the state of him in 99. He looked like he hadnt slept for months during that Flair angle.

• Paid Members

That time they shaved his head and he aged 40 years is like some sort of witchcraft.

Business wise, Ian is spot on about his work in WCW but creatively it's beyond belief that he produced such brilliance from 96-98 considering that from mid 94 to just a few weeks earlier, their product was absolutely dire.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tamura said:

Yes, but the nWo angle could easily be seen as Bischoff's finest hour. So, assuming Meltzer is correct, Bischoff is hardly likely to admit that he'd planned to bring in Mabel if he couldn't convince Hogan to turn, as it would make him look like a total idiot instead of a genius.

I don’t buy it, they spent weeks in turning it into a real life angle to think that Mabel was the answer? As much as it pains me I buy the sting was the back up if hogan wouldn’t. Someone fed dave the line and he ran with it. How does he get his inside info? From someone in an office feeding him what ever they want him to print. 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

How does he get his inside info? 

The same way any journalist does. I don't buy the Mabel thing either and he's been wrong hundreds of other times but he gets stuff right a whole lot more. He's never been a great writer and he's an oddball but he's a good journalist, he knows a lot of people, he protects his sources and he's got a depth of knowledge few have.

Funny thing on the Mabel thing is that he reported Hogan was the third man anyway. Obviously he was hearing other stuff about Sting and Luger and outsiders but he still ran the right story ahead of time.

1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I do think Bischoff is unfairly shit on because of how useless he became late 98 onwards. To me, he was always like an old footy manager who won the league by bringing in new ideas from La Liga and Serie A and spent a load of money on experienced players. From about 93 to 97, he was very much on the ball. Hiring Zane Bresloff, who was WWF's live events promoter, bringing in Hogan, flying to Japan every other week to take with their promoters, signing all those Luchadors, agreesively going at Big Balls Vince. Once his motivation had dried up, and other people lapped him, he was pretty much spent. Post 99, he was like Ron Atkinson or someone...

Except it was his top player (Hogan) who called someone the N-word and not him.

48 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The same way any journalist does. I don't buy the Mabel thing either and he's been wrong hundreds of other times but he gets stuff right a whole lot more. He's never been a great writer and he's an oddball but he's a good journalist, he knows a lot of people, he protects his sources and he's got a depth of knowledge few have.

Funny thing on the Mabel thing is that he reported Hogan was the third man anyway. Obviously he was hearing other stuff about Sting and Luger and outsiders but he still ran the right story ahead of time.

Something that those folk who hang their hat on the whole 'Mabel' thing conveniently never mention.

That's a bit like a pre internet version of those Twitter accounts called CorruptUEFA or some such, who tweet every permutation of the Champions League draw before the event, then delete all but the ones that are the actual draw so it looks like they knew in advance.  Any old prick could've named 10 wrestlers who were going to be the third man and then said "See, called it" when it happened.