Finding Their Sound: Early Forays in the Music Business

gmoney

Status Quo's transformation from psychedelic hippies to coke snorting 3 chord rockers took about 18 months.  Someone found a really GOOD hookup!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

When I were a lad, Anathema were this new Doom Metal band.  A few years ago, a mate posted a Mogwai-esque post rock song by a band with the same name.  I joked about how they were nothing like the Doom band from years ago and how it could get awkward if you went to a gig from one expecting the other.  Yep, they were the same band and I got back into my box.

Funnily enough, I remember someone making me a compilation with one of their songs on it, a sort of gothy type style and when I bought an album of theirs on the strength of that, and it was very doomy and shouty. I think it might have been their second album. 

Discharge went from one of the most ferocious, politically charged and influential punk bands that defined an entire sub-genre all of their own to pissing glam rock and it wasn't even half way good glam either.

They clawed their way back in more recent years and are back on that original "d-beat" sound, playing it as good as ever.

• Paid Members

Celebrate The Nun- a German 1980s synth wave band. The guy with the outrageous leopard print jacket and blonde mop was lead singer H P Baxxter...

A-18034-1122400256.jpg.jpg

...who later went on to become the hard rhymer, track attacker, mic enforcer and chick's checker for Scooter OOOER SUPER DUPER

scooter-band-rave-house-techno-germany-s

One that truly blew my mind in recent years was finding out that Grace Slick, who provided the vocals on Jefferson Airplane's psychedelic rock anthems White Rabbit and Somebody To Love, was also the lead singer for Starship. White Rabbit and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now are so different from one another. Apparently she doesn't look back on her Starship music too fondly.

48 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

One that truly blew my mind in recent years was finding out that Grace Slick, who provided the vocals on Jefferson Airplane's psychedelic rock anthems White Rabbit and Somebody To Love, was also the lead singer for Starship. White Rabbit and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now are so different from one another. Apparently she doesn't look back on her Starship music too fondly.

No one involved in Starship, liked the band or their output, but they had some bangers. The thing is Jefferson Airplane, became jefferson Starship, then Jefferson left adn the band got sued and had to change their name.

• Paid Members

Weird bongos and sitar neck beard hippy band Wicked Lester did an independently released album in the early 70s.

WickedLester.jpg

18 months later, they refsurfaced on Casablanca Records as hard rock serial shaggers KISS. Half of Wicked Lester's album would show up on KISS releases, but much heavier and more "touch womens fannies and hope I dont get sued in 40 years" based lyrics.

KISS1974.jpg?fit=730,521

• Paid Members

I've always thought Slade still seemed hard as fuck, same as a lot of 70s British glam bands. They've got that Adrian Street thing of "I am so fucking hard, I can dress like a poof, try and say something about it" 

Archived