Christmas food and cooking

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Pre made the stuffing balls to save myself that time Tuesday morning, looking a little sad for themselves but as long as it tastes good and holds together I really don't mind.

Cabbage is currently braising in my oven with garlic, onion, apple, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cumin seeds and red wine vinegar and my house is smelling incredible.

Tomorrow is prepeeling everything for Tuesday morning and into saucepans of water, making the Yorkshire batter mixture and pigs in blankets rolled up snugly.

Operation overkill is go.

Just pitched up our goose from the butchers - £85 fucking quid!  This bird had better suck me off as well for that money.

Out into the garden tomorrow to dig up some parsnips.  I reckon that'll be the best bit of the meal.

• Paid Members

Got the ham on for the traditional Christmas Eve buffet. Beef in the background will be heading to the oven in about an hour.

One of my favourite festive cocktails there too. St Germain liqueur, vodka, squeezed limes and soda water. Easy as you like and delicious.

20181224_155752.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

i have never eaten goose, what other meat can it be compared to? 

lot of veg prep on here, i am not quite so good, i just use frozen, the shame :( 

It's like really gamey Duck. It's also incredibly fatty and rich. I like it, but it's almost a bit too sickly to have with all the Christmas trimmings I think.

Doing a gammon joint along side the usual turkey this year, using the slow cooker and a bottle of cider I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Prep today/tonight is making the Yorkie batter, assembling the pigs in blankets and parboiling the potatoes for roasting tomorrow. 

Cooking starts at 7am, finished at 1pm, stressful but fulfilling and there's nothing better than that feeling once it's done and you can relax.

• Awards Moderator

The List is done. 

Lots of pics when you can please gang. And if you're having trouble post a question and I'll try and answer when I can (won't be much good to you at 2.15 though). Prob best to tweet me @BigSpud to get quick response.

Edited by Onyx2

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

So the turkey will rest for a full couple hours? And it's alright? Not too cold? Where does it go when it's resting?

Mine will just sit in the kitchen on the side. 6kg bird will rest happily for 2-3 hours (well done for paying attention) and still be north of 50°. For the first 30 mins if covered it will rise by 5°. I usually cover it in foil + blanket but I'm taking turkeymaster general Paul Kelly's advice and leaving it uncovered for the full time. We'll see - but everything is always rescued by hot gravy 😀