Christmas food and cooking

Gus Mears

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I have a potato question, @Onyx2  - how many kilos of potatoes will I need for 12 people? I have no idea. 

I'm doing 5kg for 12 (two ordinary bags) but I like having leftovers for bubble and squeak on Boxing Day. That's just over 400g per person, or 1.5 normal size potatoes. My guests are fairly hearty eaters. 

Best to buy too many, but as you peel and chop push them into portions. You can guage for yourself as you go. It'll depend on how many adults to children for example. 

• Paid Members

I'm doing my first Christmas Dinner this year,just for four of us. I make a decent roast, bit have only done turkey once before (thanksigivng for 6 last month). Freezing par boiled potatoes ahead of time is such a good idea. 

Think we'll go fairly standard, small turkey, roasties, pigs in blankets, might go full sized, haven't thought it through yet (I could do boerewors in blankets because we live in Wimbledon! I've just thought of that and it's either genuis or terrible! ), honey carrots, brocolli and proper gravy. Open to other ideas though! 

• Paid Members

Trying a couple of bits today to try them out for the big day.  Just cooked a few sprouts in the Instant Pot for 2 minutes, and am going to sauté off some bacon and throw them in with some chestnuts.  Never tried them before like this as I hate the bastard things, but you have to give it a go I suppose.  Also I cooked some little parsnips at the same time, and am going to air fry them tossed in a little oil, as I can never to get them quite right in the oven.

Apart from that, usual stuff this year.  Aldi Free-Range Roly Poly Turkey (nice big, juicy breasts), my grans sage and onion stuffing, pigs in blankets made by me with double bacon, roast spuds, mashed spuds, a veg bake which is mashed parsnip and swede mixed with sour cream and horseradish sauce and topped with a fried breadcrumbs and a little Parmesan, M+S yorkies, my bread sauce, my cranberry sauce, and mixed carrot and turnip, chopped together in a hand food processor so it stays a bit chunky.

Fills a gap.

9 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

You'll want about 15 kilos of potatoes for each person, so that equates to about 180 kilograms of potatoes. 

This has absolutely killed me!

I absolutely adore roast potatoes. To be honest, I’d be happy with just a plate of them. The best bit of Christmas Day is when I just dunk left over roasts in a cup of gravy like a fat Caligula.

I haven’t had Christmas Dinner since 2015 so I am made up to be spending the day with the girls and their mum, who makes the best roast dinners.

I can’t really cook, but I did once make the Cranberry sauce when we hosted and spent the whole meal making really elaborate “mmm” noises and “Ooof, this sauce is AMAZING isn’t it?” Was just cranberries and sugar if I remember correctly, but it was banging. 

I had those Waitrose Heston Mince Pies last night. Lemon ones are awesome. The chocolate and cherry ones are vile if anyone was thinking of getting some.

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Does Heston still knock out the dust with pine scented icing sugar ones?  It was like Jingle All the Way the Christmas the Mrs sent me out for those.

Not too sure, but the lemon ones are pretty low on stock. I think it was the orange chocolate pudding that was the one that was going for stupid money a few years ago when they sold out. They’re also doing these earl grey flavoured stollen slices which are really nice too. 

I’m not a fan of Christmas pudding or cake so a stollen or pannetone will do me. What does everyone else prefer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I've been watching Fanny Cradock from 1975 tonight. It's fucking mesmerising, this mer-woman from another planet, sent to berate and belittle us like the ghoulish harridan that she is. With her eyebrows of infinity she clicks fingers and spits at her producers recoiling from her from off-screen. A militant obsession with French methods. A continual goading of you to think of people you hate while cooking. Maddening use of unwashed hands on poultry to cooked meat and back again. That 80-a-day voice that you dare not ignore. "How much I adore the housewives of Britain for fighting in these prison-like conditions to give their families a special Christmas."

image.png.7692ac637f5cf033c195539d1bc64dcc.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p05jvgzw/fanny-cradock-cooks-for-christmas-series-1-1-your-christmas-bird

If you're bored you could do worse than bunging away a few 15 minute episodes of this. I'm fairly certain she's a League of Gentlemen creation.

• Paid Members
On 12/7/2018 at 11:55 AM, Silky Kisser said:

Me and the misses have the rare honour of having Christmas day at ours this year, just the two of us. 

Really looking forward to doing the dinner but not sure on what to do about the meat.

Seems absolutely pointless to get an entire Turkey for just 2 people. I suppose I could get a crown, but I'm wondering if there are any other cuts/joints people would recommend?

Cheers y'all

We did a pair of poussins one year when it was just the two of us. Just the right amount and no arguing over who gets which bit.