Christmas food and cooking

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Why the hell are you looking man? Do you have a German inspection shelf? 

No, but my post Christmas movements are the size of submarines and are always a 2 flush minimum.

• Paid Members

I spent Xmas afternoon in fucking agony. Indegestion like I've never had in my life. I imagine it's something to do with the weight loss but I missed out on the Cheese board and I couldn't face doing my traditional bubble on boxing day.

Anyway, here are my Mince pies and bakewells (used Cherry jam this time) which were bloody great, I have to say.

image.png.6d71a4ce1474f3e8de05a464024bb04d.png

image.png.18a722a3742a8e3afc696872079f0e74.png

On 12/23/2018 at 10:15 PM, Thunderplex said:

Sounds bloody terrible.  Represent our country next year and show her how it’s done!

We got maccas on the way home, it was magnificent. 

The subject of taking over some of the cooking was broached and rejected. Next year im getting smashed on baileys while we drive up to the city. 

• 11 months later...
  • Paid Members

Here we go again folks. I wanna hear what you're cooking, how you're cooking it, and when you're cooking it.

Doing exactly the same as last year (Pork Belly with all the xmas trimmings.) Did the big shop today and gonna pick up the pig from the butcher tomorrow. 

Plan:

23rd - cook the ham in Coke, and glaze it with a honey and madeira glaze. Make some apple chutney to go with the pork. Maybe make some sausage rolls too.

24 - Make the gravy (still do the Jamie Oliver 'Can't Go Wrong' method with chicken wings.) Pre make the swede and carrot mash, par boil the veg, braise the cabbage. KFC for dinner.

25th - Spend all day in the kitchen bringing it all together. Everything gets cooked in the fat from the pork belly. I fucking adore cooking christmas dinner. Best day of the year. Gonna be eating around 3pm. Ham and Cheese board in the evening.

26th - Bubble and Squeek and a full English Breakfast.

• Paid Members

In work tomorrow sadly, so started the prep today (we have Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve).  Made the bread sauce, cranberry sauce, stuffing and a veg bake side dish that we always have.  Bought the turkey on Thursday, a free-range Roly Poly bird, which I am going to prep and stuff tomorrow night, along with peeling the veg.

• Paid Members

Christmas dinner veg prepping questions...

I'm cooking for the misses and her parents this year. They are coming to us around 1pm then we're off to the local for a few hours then back here to cook. I'm conscious of eating quite late so want to get a head start if possible. 

Proper noob question but am I ok to wash/peel/chop the Potato's, parsnips carrots and sprouts today and leave them in pans of water over night in the fridge? Tomorrow the Potato's will be parboiled and roasted in Goose fat and the carrots and parsnips will be getting a honey glaze and roasted. 

Am I better off parboiling the Potato's tonight also? Or is that a ballache? 

Thoughts on pre roasting the sprouts tonight and then just throwing them in a pan with some chopped Bacon and roasted chestnuts tomorrow? 

Any other tips for preparing tonight would be welcomed. 

Cheers yall, merry Christmas. 

You should be fine preparing all of the veg tonight and leaving it in water. At least, that's what I do and I've never had an issue. 

For the potatoes, parboil them and do the initial roasting in goose fat tonight if you have time. Whack them in the fridge and then take them out again in the morning and finish them off in the oven using some of the fat from your turkey/meat of choice. It's a Jamie Oliver trick I found a few years back, swear by it for every roast dinner.

• Paid Members

I do the above with my veg every year, and it does work great.  Stuffed, buttered and baconed the bird, and it’s in the oven.  Spuds part boiled and chuffed, pigs wrapped and I’m going for a quick nap!

1C929AAC-8E8C-4C91-A338-09769BBF304D.jpeg

What's the advantage for cooking the Turkey the day before? How do you then reheat/serve tomorrow - doesn't it get dry? Considered that myself but thought it might be a bit of a pain having to re-cook at the same time I'm doing everything else (which I usually do while the Turkey is resting).

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bicurious Dad said:

What's the advantage for cooking the Turkey the day before? How do you then reheat/serve tomorrow - doesn't it get dry? Considered that myself but thought it might be a bit of a pain having to re-cook at the same time I'm doing everything else (which I usually do while the Turkey is resting).

We are eating tonight, so it will be fresh.  My mum always used to cook the turkey the night before.  It warmed through with the gravy.  Worked ok but I prefer same day.

Wife is working all day tomorrow so we are having Christmas Day today. 

We're having turkey with a garlic and herb butter rubbed into it, garlic and rosemary roast potatoes, roasted vegetables, boiled vegetables, roasted sprouts with thyme, stuffing, pigs in blankets, Yorkshire pudding and turkey gravy. 

• Paid Members

Our family vs family sausage roll bake off is now in its 6th year and now involves a trophy. 

This years rolls were: 

Pork cheese and Chipotle 

Pork and sage

Char su

Pigs in blankets ( pork, bacon and cranberry) 

Its mainly an excuse for me and my brother / brother in law to drink and insult each other while cooking. 

IMG_20191224_173059.jpg