Christmas Films

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Pack it in, ok?

At Least On Her Majesty's Secret Service appears to take place around Christmas.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Most of the favourites in our household have been covered (Muppets, Home Alone, Polar Express) but a recent one that I think is pretty good is The Night Before. If you don't like Seth Rogan films then don't bother, because it's much of the same, but with Michael Shannon as a drug dealer. I make sure I watch that every year now.

Scrooged and National Lampoon are also musts.

Edit: WHY HAS NOBODY MENTIONED JINGLE ALL THE WAY

Nightmare Before Christmas and Muppet Christmas Carol are my Christmas Eve staple viewings, I also make sure to watch Home Alone 1 and 2 at some point in the run up. I also try to watch a horror themed Christmas movie for a palate cleanser, my favourite being the original Black Christmas, which I got on Bluray last year. This year I'm planning on watching one or all of Christmas Evil, Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2 and New Year's Evil

• Paid Members

I haven't seen Krampus but the original Black Christmas is the only Christmas horror film I've seen that was any good. I guess Dead End might count too.

I saw one at the cinema last year called Better Watch Out. It started well, and not just because Patrick Warburton was in it, but then turns to dogshit a third of the way in. They really missed out with that one.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, King of Hamptons said:

Krampus is one I watch every year. Pretty impressive Christmas horror film. 

That one with Goldberg?

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That one with Goldberg?

Nah that's Santa's Slay. Crap but I have a slight soft spot for it. I love Christmas horror movies. As Dev said Black Christmas is very good and probably the only one that can be considered top tier horror but there are many others worth a watch. Depends if you like fun but dumb, off the top of my head.

Silent Night, Deadly Night

Jack Frost

Rare Exports

Don't Open Until Christmas

To All a Good Night

27 minutes ago, DEF said:

Nah that's Santa's Slay. Crap but I have a slight soft spot for it. I love Christmas horror movies. As Dev said Black Christmas is very good and probably the only one that can be considered top tier horror but there are many others worth a watch. Depends if you like fun but dumb, off the top of my head.

Silent Night, Deadly Night

Jack Frost

Rare Exports

Don't Open Until Christmas

To All a Good Night

Kim Newman just reviewed some new ones:

https://johnnyalucard.com/category/film-notes/

"All the Creatures Were Stirring" sounds promising. Krampus was OK, it gets the Christmassy atmosphere right, but it's ultimately a poor man's Gremlins. Good ambiguous ending, though. 

8 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Kim Newman just reviewed some new ones:

https://johnnyalucard.com/category/film-notes/

"All the Creatures Were Stirring" sounds promising. Krampus was OK, it gets the Christmassy atmosphere right, but it's ultimately a poor man's Gremlins. Good ambiguous ending, though. 

I watched All The Creatures Were Stirring the other day and it is indeed pretty good.  A couple of the stories in particular are really cool.  Speaking of Christmas horror anthologies, A Christmas Horror Story is great.  Other horror that I don't think has been mentioned but I like are P2, Sint and Silent Night.  There's a couple that have been released this year or will be soon that are worth checking out - Await Further Instructions and Secret Santa.

I also watched Get Santa last night which is not horror but is directed by Christopher Smith (Severance, Creep and the 'loved by UKFF', Triangle). It's one of the better recent Christmas films with a great cast - Jim Broadbent as Santa, Warwick Davis, Stephen Graham, Rafe Spall & Jodie Whittaker.

• Paid Members

Agree with "A Christmas Story" being brilliant, and Like @MrDanger I also first discovered it on one of the 2 movie channels on the old Sky network in the 90's. 

We have a yearly staple of Christmas films that have to be watched in December before the big day, and they include ehe likes of Christmas with the Ranks, Deck the Halls, Home Alone(1 and 2), Christmas Vacation, Elf and The Grinch(and more that I cannot think of).

Also, on a personal level, being horror nut allows me to really appreciate all the Christmas horror films. Things like Black Christmas, The Silent Night, Deadly Night series, Christmas Evil, Rare Exports, Better Watch Out and Big Bill Goldberg in Santa's Slay! Love them all....

When I worked for the housing trust as resident involvement officer, part of my job was to provide Christmas entertainment for the elderly residents in the retirement homes.

This meant lugging a big screen, projector and speakers all across the borough to show them festive films. I once had to endure watching It’s A Wonderful Life 22 times in December, and I had to be in the room in case they wanted more mince pies or mulled wine.

I genuinely wanted Jimmy Stewart to do himself in that month.

Best is Home Alone. First film I ever saw at the cinema. Still hilarious, it zips along and it’s heartwarming.

• Paid Members

"Merry Christmas, Mister Lawrence". No red or green, but a lot of David Bowie and bamboo jails.

I see Channel 4 showed "The Snowman" yesterday (9th December). Missed the intro, so don't know if it was the Raymond Briggs or David Bowie beginning. Bit early eh?

Archived