Christmas Films

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arthur Christmas quickly became a favourite in our house. I’ll always have a soft spot for Jingle All The Way, and Elf does what it’s meant to, but it has taken on a mantle as being some sort of classic when it’s nothing of the sort. ITV started running adverts for last Sunday for when it’s on on the 16th, 2 weeks of build, that’s more than some debuting wrestlers get. The Christmas Chronicles, new this year on Netflix, is better than it has any right to be purely based on Kurt Russell being Santa

Worst (other than all the shite on channels like Christmas24), Home Alone 2 doesn’t hold up as well as I thought it did and relies on referencing itself too much. I can’t be the only one who thinks Love Actually is a bit shit surely

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Does Trading Places counts as a Christmas film? Or is it just a film that happens to take place at Christmas time?

It's the latter and therefore qualifies as the former.

• Paid Members

I saw Love Actually at the cinema with my new wife when we were all loved up so we loved it and it's got warm memories. Same as Home Alone 2. Saw that in the cinema when I was about 12 and nearly died laughing. I'll never not absolutely adore it.

• Paid Members

With the exception of chokeout you are all wrong. Muppets Christmas Carol isn’t just the best Christmas film ever, it is the best film ever and I will fight you, naked, in the snow, if you disagree*. It’s got Michael Caine as fucking Scrooge. If you don’t cry during Tiny Tim’s song at the family table then you’re a souless bastard. 

*CC To “Shit hill to die on thread.”

It's A Wonderful Life is one of those films that just makes you happy at the end. We watch it every Christmas Eve. 

I'll also nominate A Christmas Story, a film barely anyone has seen but I absolutely adore. The story of Ralphie trying to get the Red Ryder Carbine Action 200 Shot Range Model air rifle is simple and just lovely to watch. 

• Paid Members

Add me to the It's A Wonderful Life crowd. Brilliant film. Merry Christmas movie house!

Rocky IV. Rocky fights Drago on Christmas day in Moscow and ends the cold war. It's a festive miracle.

Holiday in Handcuffs

Melissa Joan Hart's only acting work these days seems to be her annual Christmas film. This one from 2007 is my favourite mainly because it stars AC Slater.

She plays a woman who gets dumped by her boyfriend just before she leaves to go to her parents for Christmas. Due to the pressure to pease her parents, she kidnaps a customer from the coffee shop she works at (AC Slater) and takes him to her parents isolated log cabin in the woods and makes him pretend that he's her boyfriend. Although he tries, he is unable to escape so plays along until he can get the police to show up. But he "ultimately falls in love with Trudie and understands the family pressure that made her feel forced to kidnap him in the first place." They kiss and live happily ever after.

It reads like some kind of horror film about Stockholm Syndrome but it was on TV at about 3pm on a weekday.

Sabrina and AC Slater though.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Holiday in Handcuffs

Melissa Joan Hart's only acting work these days seems to be her annual Christmas film. This one from 2007 is my favourite mainly because it stars AC Slater.

She plays a woman who gets dumped by her boyfriend just before she leaves to go to her parents for Christmas. Due to the pressure to pease her parents, she kidnaps a customer from the coffee shop she works at (AC Slater) and takes him to her parents isolated log cabin in the woods and makes him pretend that he's her boyfriend. Although he tries, he is unable to escape so plays along until he can get the police to show up. But he "ultimately falls in love with Trudie and understands the family pressure that made her feel forced to kidnap him in the first place." They kiss and live happily ever after.

It reads like some kind of horror film about Stockholm Syndrome but it was on TV at about 3pm on a weekday.

Clarissa and AC Slater though.

Fixed it for you.

32 minutes ago, Grecian said:

I'll also nominate A Christmas Story

You'll shoot your eye out!

The essential viewings round here are Muppets Christmas Carol (stopping it and going to YouTube to watch When Love Is Gone at the appropriate point) it's A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation. Others get airings but those are the essentials. 

We normally watch It's A Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve but the last few years we've been so busy sorting the kids stuff that we didn't start til gone midnight meaning we get about an hour sleep so this year it's in the coveted December 23rd slot. So there.

Archived