Christmas Films

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

What are the best ones that are not Die Hard and Scrooged? What is the worst one that isn't Santa Claus: The Movie?

Also worth pointing out pretty much my favourite list on Letterboxd for this subject too:-

https://letterboxd.com/valdesbian/list/christmas-movie-posters-with-white-heterosexual/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Taking in your above criteria, I don't think Gremlins gets enough love for it's brand of festive cheer. 

Miracle on 34th Street and Home Alone 1 and 2 are two of the usual favourites for my family. 

Having only seen Polar Express for the first time, two Christmases ago, I can see it becoming a regular at this time of year. After all, who doesn't want to listen to Tom Hanks. 

I'm not having any of this love for Elf though. It's dogshite. 

• Paid Members

National Lampoon Christmas Vacation is a must for Christmas. Manic Chevy Chase is always worth watching.

Muppet Christmas Carol is a Christmas eve tradition, is the best of the Muppet films and one of the best adaptations of the story.

Planes, Train and Automobiles is about Thanksgiving, but that's a stupid made up American holiday so I treat it as a Christmas movie, although it was ruined by the fan theory that Del keeps his wife's corpse in that big suitcase he drags around.

It's A Wonderful Life should be watched by everyone. If you don't love James Stewart then we can't be friends.

Home Alone is great, always has been. My 5 year old niece was watching it for the first time on Saturday and she legit nearly wet herself laughing at Marv getting smashed in the face.

• Paid Members

Had this discussion with my daughter last night. When I was a kid, I loved that version of Santa Claus with Dudley Moore when I was a kid but I haven't seen it in years. We generally stick to Home Alone 1 & 2 and Elf. Maybe The Santa Clause with Tim Allen. I'm not a huge fan of Elf, it's only alright, but the kids like it.

Just bought Arthur Christmas which I haven't seen. Haven't seen Polar express yet either.

Anyone bother with National Lampoon? Some people go on about it but I'm not convinced I've ever seen it. (Edit: Too slow)

I think Elf is a bit shit too. It's extremely cold (lol) for a Christmas film. 

I might force my 13 year old to watch It's a Wonderful Life this year. I'll just pretend it's My Chemical Romances favourite film or something.

I think bad Christmas tv  movies need more love.  That post office one with Laurie Metcalf used to get a yearly watch on C5.

Archived