The Shit Hill You Will Die On

Keith Houchen

13 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Funnily enough, nearly everyone I know in Rugby supports Leicester.  And a few Coventry fans call Wasps fans glory hunters.  Cov were saved from bankruptcy and are doing really well now, my brother and his lad go to loads of games and they enjoy it more than going to the football now.

Bit hard for them to call Wasps fans in the area glory hunters since we haven't won anything since moving up there, although there was a final a year or two ago I guess. Around here Northampton are the main team people seem to follow with a couple who follow teams from near where they grew up. Wasps nomadic lifestyle over the last 20 years has made them a bit of an oddity with time in north London, west London, Wycombe and now Coventry so probably picked up a few fans from slightly different areas travelling around. That said I know that a lot of long time fans boycotted them when the move to Coventry happened. On the whole though it seems to be a case of following your local clubs. Perhaps if there wasn't such a north/south divide in the codes you might see more glory hunting to an extent, I suspect the 90s Wigan side would have had Man United levels of support if people around here cared about League.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, lanky316 said:

Bit hard for them to call Wasps fans in the area glory hunters since we haven't won anything since moving up there,

It's because they started supporting a top flight side when there was a rugby team in the city already that most didn't bother with and some didn't even know existed.

Union is of course the proper rugby but league did give us this belter that @PowerButchi introduced us all to.

4 hours ago, gmoney said:

I CAAN'T SPAKE

WE ALL CANT SPAKE. 

(Incidentally I replace the “We all had sex” at the key change in the Lonely Island song ‘I Just Had Sex ‘ with the above and it makes a great song even better.)

15 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It's because they started supporting a top flight side when there was a rugby team in the city already that most didn't bother with and some didn't even know existed.

Point redacted then! That makes sense now, just looked up the table and they're not doing bad in the championship. Since the removal of the domestic cup competition and fairly limited coverage I've not kept in touch with the lower leagues. With the exception of teams like Bedford or Bristol bouncing up and down every couple of years don't have a lot of knowledge there.

@lanky316 And to be fair to Wasps, their community outreach has been sensational.  When they made Coventry their home, they went into schools giving away tickets and equipment.  Chances are that was a lot of peoples first exposure to there being a rugby team in Coventry!

Some football fans may not agree but Wasps have been brilliant for the city.

Archived