Dynamite Kid Passed Away

The Four Horsemen

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8 December 2018 at 8:07 AM, BigJag said:

Quite informative and succinct piece here.

https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/12/05/the-life-and-death-of-tom-dynamite-kid-billington-dead-at-age-60/

He'll get the 10bell salute from WWE, won't he? Have they made any comment yet?

The 10 bells they generally reserve for those employed in some form at the time of their death,

• Paid Members

Dynamite has such an incredible story. Someone needs to do a Liam O'Rourke style biography of him, because as good as his autobiography is, it doesnt tell half the story. There needs to be a book to be almost used like a "what not to do" and well as showing just how amazing he was as a wrestler. Because he absolutely was. That mix of hardcase and super worker was so unique for the 1980s, that its amazing that is lost in modern day. During a time when there are proper tough nut superstars in boxing and MMA, nobody in wrestling (at least not in the States) at Dynamite's size has that hard man aura like he did.

And on the other size of it, he made peoples life a misery. An unbiased take on the life and career of Tom Billington would be quite incredible to read. Up there with the Pillman one certainly.

Just been reading some of the reports online about DK passing and one had the camcorder footage of the match in December 1986 where he buggered his back up. What I didn't ever notice before is that just after it happens a camera man gets up on the ringsteps. I always thought this was just a houseshow - so does this mean there is professionally shot footage sitting in the vaults somewhere? 

• Paid Members

I’ve wondered in the past what would’ve become of Dynamite if he’d not been injured and was able to keep wrestling. Where would he have fit in? You’d think it’d have been inevitable that he’d have ended up back in the WWF sooner or later. Would he have played a role in the Bret vs Owen feud during 93-95? Maybe he’d have taken Neidhart’s place. Can you imagine a series of matches with babyface Bret & Davey Boy vs heel Owen & Dynamite? Christ. 

Later on you’d think him being part of the Hart Foundation in 1997 would’ve been a natural fit. And no doubt he could’ve had some amazing matches with Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin during that timeframe. Would’ve liked to see him and Ken Shamrock beat the piss out of each other as well. Then there’s things like, what impact would he have had backstage during that whole Bret vs Shawn beef? I know he had his ups and downs with Bret but you’d think he’d have been in Camp Hitman during that whole thing. He’d have most likely lamped Shawn at some point and got sacked or something. Or would he have left for WCW with Bret after Montreal? He’d have fit right in there and no doubt could’ve had blowaway matches with Benoit, Jericho, Eddie, Regal, Rey etc. But it’s just as likely he’d have been put in an nWo shirt and got lost in the shuffle like everyone else. 

Thinking about it fascinates me though. He was a massive bellend by most accounts so he’d have probably thrived on the negativity backstage surrounding Bret and Shawn in the WWF and the politics in WCW. He’d have probably got himself into trouble in both locker rooms. Or he’d have  died a couple of decades sooner due to the cocktail of drugs and alcohol on the road. 

RIP Dynamite - he was a fascinating character.

How true are the rumours that WWF wanted him back in 1993? In a shoot I seen DK didn't seem to remember this, but not sure if he was just being arsey. 

As he appeared in front of a wrestling crowd in recent years? I'm sure I recall him being wheeled out a few years back? 

• Paid Members

Those tights he was wearing are a cheaper version of Davey Boy's SummerSlam 92 ones aren't they?

Harry Smith did an interview with Sean Mooney recently and mentioned two incidents that rarely get brought up. That time Dynamite gave Davey Boy's brother a good kicking after their breakup. And the other was Dynamite getting a proper good kicking off some cowboys in a pub in Calgary. Proper kicked the shit out of him badly. Which considering how bad his back was, its a surprise that never put him in a wheelchair earlier than he did.

1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Those tights he was wearing are a cheaper version of Davey Boy's SummerSlam 92 ones aren't they?

Harry Smith did an interview with Sean Mooney recently and mentioned two incidents that rarely get brought up. That time Dynamite gave Davey Boy's brother a good kicking after their breakup. And the other was Dynamite getting a proper good kicking off some cowboys in a pub in Calgary. Proper kicked the shit out of him badly. Which considering how bad his back was, its a surprise that never put him in a wheelchair earlier than he did.

IIRC the cowboy story was told in an article in FSM magazine, which I think was an interview with his ex-wife, and her saying how he came home covered in blood. 

Archived